The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi to all wrasse lovers and experts . I currently have a 80x24x24 tank with a number of fish including a sixline. I would love to add a number of wrasses including a Solon Fairy Wrasse, a Melanurus, Scott Fairy Wrasse, a Lineatus... A couple of questions:

1 - Do I need to take out the SixLine? He is a bit feisty...
2 - To avoid bullying would it be better to add all at once?
3 - Quarantine and medications: I QT all my fish and treat with Prazi and Cupramine. In the past success with wrasse and Cu was not great...

I do have a mature tank with a lid. Poweder Blue, Foxface, Yelow eye kole, 4 clowns, 7 Lyretail Anthias, one mean blue chromis and one sixline.

Thanks!
Hi..yea in my opinion I would take the six line out if adding more Wrasses...I had a six line for several years...then one day he snapped...and would relentlessly harrass my leopards any other new Wrasse addition.....so I caught him by hand cause he wouldn't go in a fish trap...and back to the LFS he went...it was a pita....but keep in mind all fish are individuals....so I am sure others have had different experiences with them.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@eatbreakfast - what would be your dream wrasse dominated tank if given a space of 48 in x 36 in x 20 in . Am building a new tank and it's probably gonna be only wrasses with acroporas but no fairies or flashers !

Species interested are Macrophryngdon , Anampses , Halichoeres and Psedojuloides .. but definitely will take your suggestions

Regards,
Abhishek
One of my favorites is Cheilinus oxycephalus. It will eat inverts, but it's color changing and chill demeanor are awesome.

I think male meleagris is my favorite looking leopard, but they ship terribly. So I would get a harem of females and hope one transitions.

Anampses lennardi is gorgeous, but pricey for how delicate they are. My male chrysocephalus is my favorite fish, but they don't ship well, nor last long when caprured as males. Mine is having more success imo because I got a group of females and one transitioned.

Halichoeres has a few representatives that I love. Richmondi, iridis, chrysus, and melasmapomus are great and hardy. I am captivated by rubricephalus, but they are delicate. Kallachroma have started coming in, but I am yet to see one in person.

Xenojulis margaritacea is another one that is sporadically available, but reasonably priced and interesting.

I like Pseudojuloides and they do well in a harem, but would only do one species in a tank.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a small beautiful terminal male Melanurus wrasse. He is about 2.5-3 inches but very nice color. He should be OK with my Fairy and Flasher wrasses, shouldn't he? I have about 10 flashers and fairies in my 320 DT. I an in Houston and will not pick him up until tomorrow. He wifi go to my QT then.

My Labouti is turning into a major PITA. Yesterday evening, he just chase ALL the wrasses and get them all in the rock work. He is the only wrasse swimming in the open. If this keep up, I am going to sale him back to the LFS

Seanislav

Rectangular Money Pit Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just encountered a couple of apparently terminal male kotoi fairies at the LFS. My 300 gal is nearing Day 70 of a fallow period, where the only fish I have is a 3" Melanurus, who is the ONLY soul to have survived the ich/brook/velvet trifecta I had back in March, and is in quarantine now, where he's been since the reef went fallow. My question is what is their temperament is with other wrasses (any or all genera), and if the advice of not having them as a tank's first (wrasse) inhabitants is indeed sound.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just encountered a couple of apparently terminal male kotoi fairies at the LFS. My 300 gal is nearing Day 70 of a fallow period, where the only fish I have is a 3" Melanurus, who is the ONLY soul to have survived the ich/brook/velvet trifecta I had back in March, and is in quarantine now, where he's been since the reef went fallow. My question is what is their temperament is with other wrasses (any or all genera), and if the advice of not having them as a tank's first (wrasse) inhabitants is indeed sound.

I kept one with other fairy wrasse and all was good. I can only speak on fairy’s

tkiry1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody have any experience with these guys? Any input would be great...
6ece7662fd574f60e657d3de13e402fb.jpg

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

H. Rubricephalus very nice find I have been looking for one for years now. Should be peaceful but that’s from what I read as I never owned one I think one of the big dogs mention them above as one of his favorite.

Check post #8225

tkiry1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H. Rubricephalus very nice find I have been looking for one you years now. Should be peaceful but that’s from what I read as I never owned one I think one of the big dogs mention them above as one of his favorite.

Check post #8225

Thanks.. I have been looking for years as well...

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a small beautiful terminal male Melanurus wrasse. He is about 2.5-3 inches but very nice color. He should be OK with my Fairy and Flasher wrasses, shouldn't he? I have about 10 flashers and fairies in my 320 DT. I an in Houston and will not pick him up until tomorrow. He wifi go to my QT then.
Yes, melanurus will be fine with them.
My experience with katoi wasn't good - I had to remove it. Way too aggressive.
Maybe it's the picture, but that one looks to be in poor shape.

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys....I have been first on the list to get a Potter's leopard Wrasse for several months...they always have a great selection of Leopards including potters. They said they are hard to come by.....anyone know if anybody has them in stock...or the reason they aren't available? I heard that Hawaii put a temperary ban fish collecting for the aquarium trade....thanks for any info! [emoji16]

tkiry1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, melanurus will be fine with them.

My experience with katoi wasn't good - I had to remove it. Way too aggressive.

Maybe it's the picture, but that one looks to be in poor shape.

Very bad pic..

Ben Seaver

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys....I have been first on the list to get a Potter's leopard Wrasse for several months...they always have a great selection of Leopards including potters. They said they are hard to come by.....anyone know if anybody has them in stock...or the reason they aren't available? I heard that Hawaii put a temperary ban fish collecting for the aquarium trade....thanks for any info! [emoji16]

FreshMarine.com has some in stock right now, however your taking a risk when having them shipped.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My Labouti is turning into a major PITA. Yesterday evening, he just chase ALL the wrasses and get them all in the rock work. He is the only wrasse swimming in the open. If this keep up, I am going to sale him back to the LFS
Most melanurus are fine with fairies and flashers, a minority can be a little bossy. The dt size is helpful in smoothing out issues.

Labouti, while not as aggressive as scott's or the whipfin, can still be problematic to other fairy and flasher wrasses.
I too have found katoi to be aggressive to fairy and flashers.
I've had them a couple of times. Delicate for a Halichoeres. Definitely treat for flukes and internal parasites.
Hawaii has a ban on permits for using nets with a mesh size less than 2". There are other ways to collect smaller fish, but not as easily as with nets, so there are less being caught.

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most melanurus are fine with fairies and flashers, a minority can be a little bossy. The dt size is helpful in smoothing out issues.

Labouti, while not as aggressive as scott's or the whipfin, can still be problematic to other fairy and flasher wrasses.

I too have found katoi to be aggressive to fairy and flashers.

I've had them a couple of times. Delicate for a Halichoeres. Definitely treat for flukes and internal parasites.

Hawaii has a ban on permits for using nets with a mesh size less than 2". There are other ways to collect smaller fish, but not as easily as with nets, so there are less being caught.
Gotcha....I was afraid of that! Thanks for the info!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting the Red Lined Wrasse was a bad decision on my part. He was thinner, but not emaciated. He was mouthing food. I though he will be fine eating all the pods in my QT until I get him to eat prepared food so I got him. He did not live though the night. Dead this AM.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question in regards to acclimation boxes and leopard wrasses, or any sand-burying wrasse in general. My DT currently has a C. rubeus as the sole wrasse, would it make sense to catch and house him in the acclimation box while direct-tank releasing the leopard? I've found the leopard when transferred (two QT tanks so far) will only bury for about 6-7 hours then come out pretty quickly. Else, are you supposed to put a small tupperware of tank substrate in the acclimation box with it? I could do that, since the bottom can be blocked off, but just want to have the best odds of the leopard doing well initially.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back