The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Grossman90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Just picked up 2 potters wrasse. Very cool!
7a9bf792cca652e29b11d9cc6ff0fbd1.jpg
36d8cdeae0fbde1e97bb6892b99e3bcc.jpg
Where did you purchase them from? Only seen saltwaterfish.com have them so far.

saullman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could join you at @WWC !!!!! Love that place. Before you head over, make sure to give them a call to see if they have us in stock. Even if they don't, it's still a great place to visit! ;)

Best,
Chad

Well I was able to pick up some R.O.E. from my lfs.
Good news- 3 out of my 4 fish love it.
Bad news- my Leopard Wrasse won't eat it or anything else I tried feeding him. I see him picking on the back wall of the tank and sometimes on the glass, but that's it. It's been over 3 weeks now.

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad news- my Leopard Wrasse won't eat it or anything else I tried feeding him. I see him picking on the back wall of the tank and sometimes on the glass, but that's it. It's been over 3 weeks now.

He is probably picking on the zooplankton in the tank. You must have a good population!

Glad to hear the R.O.E. was mostly a success!

Thanks,
Chad

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi to all wrasse lovers and experts . I currently have a 80x24x24 tank with a number of fish including a sixline. I would love to add a number of wrasses including a Solon Fairy Wrasse, a Melanurus, Scott Fairy Wrasse, a Lineatus... A couple of questions:

1 - Do I need to take out the SixLine? He is a bit feisty...
2 - To avoid bullying would it be better to add all at once?
3 - Quarantine and medications: I QT all my fish and treat with Prazi and Cupramine. In the past success with wrasse and Cu was not great...

I do have a mature tank with a lid. Poweder Blue, Foxface, Yelow eye kole, 4 clowns, 7 Lyretail Anthias, one mean blue chromis and one sixline.

Thanks!

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi to all wrasse lovers and experts . I currently have a 80x24x24 tank with a number of fish including a sixline. I would love to add a number of wrasses including a Solon Fairy Wrasse, a Melanurus, Scott Fairy Wrasse, a Lineatus... A couple of questions:

1 - Do I need to take out the SixLine? He is a bit feisty...
2 - To avoid bullying would it be better to add all at once?
3 - Quarantine and medications: I QT all my fish and treat with Prazi and Cupramine. In the past success with wrasse and Cu was not great...

I do have a mature tank with a lid. Poweder Blue, Foxface, Yelow eye kole, 4 clowns, 7 Lyretail Anthias, one mean blue chromis and one sixline.

Thanks!
1) Yes - none of this is an option until it comes it
2) Give this a read: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/all-about-reef-safe-wrasses-in-aquaria.259894/
and then this: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/c...feriority-need-not-apply-1st-revision.322326/
3) Use a chelated copper product instead, raise it slow, and test often.

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info! Maybe one day I will find the patience to catch the sixline and the Chromis while I am at it...

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5e35ab1c370825660e1d290738996f54.jpg

4821c17cfd7932f4344f3aa85a197961.jpg

Finally was able to get two potters wrasses to eat!

I was also worried about my China Wrasse being a bully but looks like everyone has settled in now!

Where'd you get the potters? Love the Anampses neoguinaicus (china) as well, has it been pretty aggressive in general? Prior to the potters I mean.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you try the live blackworms?

tp5056

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Where'd you get the potters? Love the Anampses neoguinaicus (china) as well, has it been pretty aggressive in general? Prior to the potters I mean.

I got the potters from my LFS (they are pretty good at getting fish when you request it) ... this was my second try with two and luckily these are doing well so far ... eating like pigs!

The china wrasse was always one of the more passive fish until I introduced both Potters but weirdest thing was all the fish weren't too pleased at first ... took about a week (and two re-aquascapes) before everyone became cool.

saullman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you try the live blackworms?

Not yet BigJohnny. I wanted to try the ROE first since I could get it locally and it wasn't quite as expensive. Have you ever tried white worms vs black worms. Many people were saying they preferred white worms over black worms.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not yet BigJohnny. I wanted to try the ROE first since I could get it locally and it wasn't quite as expensive. Have you ever tried white worms vs black worms. Many people were saying they preferred white worms over black worms.

One of the main reason people say that is because it’s easy to keep the culture going also they don’t die fast when in saltwater and my fav you can feed them.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you don't try any or all remaining options asap your fish will likely perish. Pods alone will not sustain a leopard wrasse. I strongly recommend you order the blackworms because of the included overnight shipping. LRS fish frenzy is another good option but I would get both or just the worms. live worms are definitely more likely to elicit a feeding response, fish frenzy contains frozen ones but also many other appetizing items for wrasses.

I'm pretty sure only 1 (maybe 2) people said they prefer white worms due to the fact that you can culture them. I have never tried them. Blackworms are actually cheaper than most frozen foods per volume btw. 1/4" is a lot of worms lol.

Good luck

saullman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't try any or all remaining options asap your fish will likely perish. Pods alone will not sustain a leopard wrasse. I strongly recommend you order the blackworms because of the included overnight shipping. LRS fish frenzy is another good option but I would get both or just the worms. live worms are definitely more likely to elicit a feeding response, fish frenzy contains frozen ones but also many other appetizing items for wrasses.

I'm pretty sure only 1 (maybe 2) people said they prefer white worms due to the fact that you can culture them. I have never tried them. Blackworms are actually cheaper than most frozen foods per volume btw. 1/4" is a lot of worms lol.

Good luck

Funny enough after trying like 5 different foods all the sudden he is eating the seaweed. Go figure. Now my 4 fish all eat seaweed. I guess it's monkey see, monkey do.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny enough after trying like 5 different foods all the sudden he is eating the seaweed. Go figure. Now my 4 fish all eat seaweed. I guess it's monkey see, monkey do.

You may want to try wrapping some frozen food(Larry’s is good for doing this)in there to help him get use to the frozen.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@eatbreakfast - what would be your dream wrasse dominated tank if given a space of 48 in x 36 in x 20 in . Am building a new tank and it's probably gonna be only wrasses with acroporas but no fairies or flashers !

Species interested are Macrophryngdon , Anampses , Halichoeres and Psedojuloides .. but definitely will take your suggestions

Regards,
Abhishek

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 83 48.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 31.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%

Back