The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never put sand in the acc box with my leopards but I do put pvc as I feel it gives them some kind of comfort for the few days as the sometimes go in it or under.
Same. Allowing them to bury in the box defeats the purpose.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same. Allowing them to bury in the box defeats the purpose.
That feeling when you stop and realize, I just had a really DUH moment. Well, I feel really DUH ;Facepalm right about now, hah.

Thanks guys, BSL can sleep under the pvc for a few days when it comes time.

MIKE NY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never put sand in the acc box with my leopards but I do put pvc as I feel it gives them some kind of comfort for the few days as the sometimes go in it or under.

X2...I do the same ...putting sand in defeats the purpose of the box if it’s buried. It will be fine without .....

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@evolved, @eatbreakfast

Good night I’m trying to find some compatibility info and tank size recommendations for this wrasse NOVACULOPS HALSTEADI also common name I tried razor wrasse but get the other family member Xyrichthys.

As always thank you both for you time.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@evolved, @eatbreakfast

Good night I’m trying to find some compatibility info and tank size recommendations for this wrasse NOVACULOPS HALSTEADI also common name I tried razor wrasse but get the other family member Xyrichthys.

As always thank you both for you time.
It's a beautiful, but semi-aggressive fish. It would do best in a tank 125-150g minimum, needs a lot of sand space, and will knock over corals.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a beautiful, but semi-aggressive fish. It would do best in a tank 125-150g minimum, needs a lot of sand space, and will knock over corals.
+1 to that.

And they've also proven somewhat tricky to keep alive in captivity.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A0684AD6-A900-4CE1-88F9-3B8DCBA811DF.jpeg
My wrasses are out waiting for food. So far I have not lost anybody to the carpets.
I got two male Lubbock wrasse in the 320. I wish I follow advices I got from here and not put them together. They fight all the time, especially in AM and PM. Both grow and getting fat but I really don’t want conflict in my tank. You can see them circling each other in this picture.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well these days I have been thinking about adding a little more variety of wrasses to my tank. So was looking at these two guys also will they do well with leopards, fairy’s and flashers ?

Elegant coris: coris venusta

5216ec5ff957333b10fd8e1fdc6af971.jpg

Blue Xmas: H. Ornatissimus

14e7729e9d3056d84dc86cb2c8f6c1c9.jpg

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well these days I have been thinking about adding a little more variety of wrasses to my tank. So was looking at these two guys also will they do well with leopards, fairy’s and flashers ?

Elegant coris: coris venusta

5216ec5ff957333b10fd8e1fdc6af971.jpg

Blue Xmas: H. Ornatissimus

14e7729e9d3056d84dc86cb2c8f6c1c9.jpg
I've had to remove venustus wrasses from tanks due to aggression. Ornatissimus is also known to get pushy toward other wrasses.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What H. Sp and C. Sp would you guys recommend ?
Coris = none (Coris and Thalassoma are intentionally left out of my "reef safe" guides)
Halichoeres > those which do not exceed 6" when fully grown are the safest. There's a decently long list here of possibilities.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coris = none (Coris and Thalassoma are intentionally left out of my "reef safe" guides)
Halichoeres > those which do not exceed 6" when fully grown are the safest. There's a decently long list here of possibilities.

Ok thank you will go through some more Halichoeres sp and see what I come up with.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some Halichoeres that I really like and have kept include chrysotaenia, chrysus, claudia, biocellatus, melasmapomas. All of these have been hardy and without a great deal of problem. I would say zero problems but my biocellatus has decided to be a butt...to one fish only.

H. iridis is one on my list to add soon.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some Halichoeres that I really like and have kept include chrysotaenia, chrysus, claudia, biocellatus, melasmapomas. All of these have been hardy and without a great deal of problem. I would say zero problems but my biocellatus has decided to be a butt...to one fish only.

H. iridis is one on my list to add soon.

H. Iridis will be one of the very last wrasse added to this tank

vedros74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick couple questions for the experts. My current wrasse stock is a Potter’s,Black leopard,jeweled wrasse and a Moyers in QT to be added later. My dilemma is I have a flatworm issue and was looking to add a yellow coris wrasse, while calling to look around none of the lfs locally have them but one told me that the yellow and black leopard may not get along and that they’ve had success with blue stars eating flatworms. I understand no wrasse is guaranteed to eat anything but generally is there any truth to either statement? Thanks

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back