The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D259692C-4A45-428F-B9E6-FDC74507DAF2.png

Corpus Christi is not what one would considers target rich environment for wrasses. I get whatever I can get.
Here is a small Melanurus female and a Blue Flasher. They will go into my 40 gal QT system. I have not decided if the Blue Flasher will later going into myOffice 65 gal or my Home 320 which all ready have a Blue Flasher in it.

Sorry the picture did not uploaded before.

Love that Blue flasher[emoji1531][emoji1533]

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So here's my QT dilemma. I have a Lineatus and Pintail in a 20L QT take and have been in there for over a month. I have a small DT flasher in a 10 gallon just finishing up a lengthy TTM and prazi. Well my Linneatus and Pintail are twitching a scratching and it is either flukes i can kill (dipping to confirm tonight) or hidden velvet (ug). So contemplating copper power tomorrow but may add DT flasher to the same 20 gallon to make sure he is not hiding anything. If I do, do I use acclimation box for him given the fairies are established. leaning toward yes... Thoughts?

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here's my QT dilemma. I have a Lineatus and Pintail in a 20L QT take and have been in there for over a month. I have a small DT flasher in a 10 gallon just finishing up a lengthy TTM and prazi. Well my Linneatus and Pintail are twitching a scratching and it is either flukes i can kill (dipping to confirm tonight) or hidden velvet (ug). So contemplating copper power tomorrow but may add DT flasher to the same 20 gallon to make sure he is not hiding anything. If I do, do I use acclimation box for him given the fairies are established. leaning toward yes... Thoughts?

The diamond tail that I have in qt did bother the royal flasher for about a day and a half nothing serious then stopped he never bothered the pintail or other wrasse.

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah more worried about the DT getting picked on by the Lineatus or Pintail that have been established.

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They are very underrated I had one that had white in the fins I use to go crazy when it flashed. I have one on my order list for my next group of wrasses.
Can't recall but do you treat your wrasses with copper in QT?

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah more worried about the DT getting picked on by the Lineatus or Pintail that have been established.

That I understand i would be worried also i say use the box to be safe.
When I got the diamond tails I made a tank divider from egg crate and zip tided some mesh to it so the they could not swim through.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that is the way i think as well. Well if I don't see any flukes fall off then I will treat with copper. If I do, I plan to do hypo for 7 days.

After a few days in the qt and they are eating I start to feed them M+F then on week two I start GC after GC is done will watch them for a week or two to see if copper is needed.

reefrf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice Sailfin Fairy. How is he with other wrasses. Mine was too aggressive and I have to remove him

sailfinfw2018021901-jpg.681026

sailfinfw2018041801-jpg.745847

I haven’t had any issues with aggression. He was the last to be added into a 250g with some other very territorial fishes.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t had any issues with aggression. He was the last to be added into a 250g with some other very territorial fishes.
Are there other fairy or flasher wrasses that are not agressive in the tank?
He is likely not the alpha wrasse in the tank but does he harasses other wrasse that maybe rank lower in the totem pole?

Overboard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
D259692C-4A45-428F-B9E6-FDC74507DAF2.png

Corpus Christi is not what one would considers target rich environment for wrasses. I get whatever I can get.
Here is a small Melanurus female and a Blue Flasher. They will go into my 40 gal QT system. I have not decided if the Blue Flasher will later going into myOffice 65 gal or my Home 320 which all ready have a Blue Flasher in it.

Sorry the picture did not uploaded before.

Blue Flashers are so awesome! Nice!

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
After a few days in the qt and they are eating I start to feed them M+F then on week two I start GC after GC is done will watch them for a week or two to see if copper is needed.
Yeah done all that too. Just FW dipped both. Hard to see flukes in aftermath.

linus.chan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

So last night i come home to my splendid (isoceles) wrasse doing his thing- he is very active and just the star of my tank. Anyhow, i began to feed, when i clearly hear what sounds like a jumping fish. Now i do have screens- and this fish has been in my tank now for close to 6 months and while he has jumped into the corner overflow- he had yet to jump out of the tank- and i was going to assume that he just bumped into the screen and fell back into the tank- when i thought i heard what sounded like a fish on the ground. I quickly looked behind my tank- found him (he must have jumped right through this area of the screen that while covers the edge of the tank might still allow a fish to get through because i run a couple of cords for powerheads into the tank). I scoop him up and put him back into the tank. The total time out of the water was likely 1-2 minutes.

He seemed to be in shock, floated towards the bottom, but after about 30 seconds, was breathing, and then maneuvered himself (without apparent difficulty) into the dark and hidden area of the tank. This was about 6:30pm and his usual sleep time is about 7:30 or so.

He didn't come out again last night. This morning i thought i spotted him cruising in the back of the tank- but there was a storm last night and my apex got knocked out of whack- and while my return was still running, my powerheads and my heaters were knocked off line for about 6 hours. (Tank temp dropped to about 74 before i fixed everything). I couldn't find the fish again even after feeding.

I get this is a bit of a shock to the fish, and he is likely hiding for a little while, (in the past when he jumped between the overflow and main tank, he would hide for a few hours) but i am a nervous nelly by nature. Does anyone have any reassuring thoughts for me?

In order of concern-
1) he got a spinal injury (i lost a rhomboid in QT to this, which i am convinced happened after he jumped into the lid covering my QT tank)
2) he had some other injury that can cause infection
3) an unknown lot of things.

I know there isn't much i can do except wait. ( I am getting a new tank in a couple of weeks that is plumbed and will be using Ecotech pumps so i don't have to run wires or have an over the top return so i can use much tighter screens). But if anyone has thoughts or things to share that is great.

I really love the fairy wrasses and essentially getting the new tank set up in such a way that i can stop worrying about them jumping all the time. I have lost 3 during QT (2 died on arrival or died within a day of arrival due to shipping one died due to spinal injury) as above, and one who made it out of QT(a bathyphus) died by jumping within 20 seconds that i had moved the screen- to the top of the screen.

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would wait it out and see how he is swimming to determine if he physically hurt himself. My bet is that he was in shock and then the lowering of temps prolonged his shock. They are crafty at jumping and even through the smallest holes. I have a Linneatus in QT now and if I turn off a pump to change the water in the tank, he becomes a skittish pogo stick.

But wait and see is the best option here before jumping to conclusions. Let us know when he shows and how he is swimming. I bet he will be fine. I had a purple tilefish carpet surf about 5 times and he was fine. Stressed for a bit but was fine.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 138 75.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 8.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 27 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back