The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My A. neoguinaicus and the other two wrasses went to bed later, all got up this AM, feed and hunt all day. Got some pictures of her
before the light go out. Very cool Blue and black & white. China Wrasse is appropriate name, she sorta look like porcelain.
ChinaWrasse2018061501.jpg
ChinaWrasse2018061502.jpg
ChinaWrasse2018061503.jpg

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys ... so one of my Potter's is making a transition to male and has been hiding a lot.

Anyone else experience this while one of their wrasses transitioned?
That behavior has been observed before. I wouldn't say it is common, but far from unheard of.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok dang, thought that would be the case. Thanks for the input!

Sounds like a good reason for a nano tank addition. I have an IM Fusion that has panamic barnacle blennies and sexy shrimp. It's a cool little tank with species I wouldn't likely be able to keep in my 72x24 tank.

linus.chan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to report back that my splendid has now come out- a bit more shy for sure, but swimming without issue from what I can tell. Thanks!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered 4 Potter Leopard wrasse from LA. Wish me luck. I was working this AM at 6:24 when I got the in stock notification. This was one of the few times the wrasse were still available. I think they will come Tuesday

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a red head Solon fairy wrasse in my RSR525XL.

It is a very peaceful community tank. It is currently the only wrasse and is the boss of the tank.

It gets along with every fish but likes to let the trio of zebra darts know he is the boss.

It is and will be the biggest fish in the tank.

I would like to add 1 more wrasse and would like to be the size of the red head solon.

I like the blue headed wrasse, cirrhilabrus cyanopleura.

Would this work? If not, a recommendation please.

Thanks

Mike

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a red head Solon fairy wrasse in my RSR525XL.

It is a very peaceful community tank. It is currently the only wrasse and is the boss of the tank.

It gets along with every fish but likes to let the trio of zebra darts know he is the boss.

It is and will be the biggest fish in the tank.

I would like to add 1 more wrasse and would like to be the size of the red head solon.

I like the blue headed wrasse, cirrhilabrus cyanopleura.

Would this work? If not, a recommendation please.

Thanks

Mike
Solorensis and cyanopleura are in the same complex of species, so will behave more aggressively toward each other than more distantly related species.

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solorensis and cyanopleura are in the same complex of species, so will behave more aggressively toward each other than more distantly related species.

Thanks! Any recommendations for a “larger”, 5”-6” fairy wrasse?

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exquisites, Labout's and C. rubrimarginatus are three that come to mind . . . IIRC, they're decent to moderate, regarding aggression.

~Bruce

Thanks Maritimer! I will do some research on those.

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lousy video of my two new wrasses. These fish are in a cycled QT for a few days to get over shipping stress and acclimate to my feeding schedule then straight in to an acclimation box in the DT. That's right, I'm not quarantining these fish........because they already have been quarantined by the retailer!

Our own Humblefish has started a new business and will be selling completely quarantined, conditioned fish. These were obese and outgoing from the beginning. The video below is a little less than an hour after being introduced. Look for Humblefish Aquatics in the sponsor forum soon. That should contain a link to his website.

I am super excited to be able to buy fish quarantined by an expert. For those that simply don't want to do it or those that don't have the space for a QT setup this will be ideal.

Jaag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lousy video of my two new wrasses. These fish are in a cycled QT for a few days to get over shipping stress and acclimate to my feeding schedule then straight in to an acclimation box in the DT. That's right, I'm not quarantining these fish........because they already have been quarantined by the retailer!

Our own Humblefish has started a new business and will be selling completely quarantined, conditioned fish. These were obese and outgoing from the beginning. The video below is a little less than an hour after being introduced. Look for Humblefish Aquatics in the sponsor forum soon. That should contain a link to his website.

So will humblefish have his own website? This is a great idea? Will the fish be more expensive due to Humblefish doing the QT process?

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes he will have a web site and the link should be in the sponsor forum soon. Yes the cost will be more for a fully quarantined and conditioned fish.

Myagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
f10f64d5428553311925364d6952427d.jpg
Not the best pic but, here’s my Lubbocks Fairy Wrasse picked up from work the other day

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back