The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may still QT an occasional hard to get fish if I find one I want that Humblefish can't. Otherwise I'll let Bobby do my QT for me going forward. It's well worth the price to have beautiful, healthy, ready to introduce fish arrive at your door.

Couldn't agree more, been so long since I added a fish direct to my DT that I almost forgot what it was like :D

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well sad day lost my red margin this morning looks like old age will try get a juv this week.
The same thing sorta happened to me. I got a Ruby Longfin, large terminal male. He was fine, fat eating a lot and was in my DT for several weeks. He was eating in the AM, and dead on the sand in the evening. My fish was newer in the tank, but he was doing great, then death for no clear reason.

Last edited:

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lousy video of my two new wrasses. These fish are in a cycled QT for a few days to get over shipping stress and acclimate to my feeding schedule then straight in to an acclimation box in the DT. That's right, I'm not quarantining these fish........because they already have been quarantined by the retailer!

Our own Humblefish has started a new business and will be selling completely quarantined, conditioned fish. These were obese and outgoing from the beginning. The video below is a little less than an hour after being introduced. Look for Humblefish Aquatics in the sponsor forum soon. That should contain a link to his website.

I am super excited to be able to buy fish quarantined by an expert. For those that simply don't want to do it or those that don't have the space for a QT setup this will be ideal.

Haha, I love his domain name. Hope your stunners thrive in the tank, seriously jealous!

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OrianN when are going to get your potters Wrasses? I can't wait to see pics....mine is doing really good! Eating Mysis like a champ! He us up early and hits the sand about a hour before the lights go out! Keep us posted! Here is a pic if mine from today.
333cbd6b16c8e0e7c489df317bbfd639.jpg
a04a230d5444ccf402b8ed009ea45ad7.jpg

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting mine tomorrow. All 4 of them. I home mine will do well.
Yea....I enjoy reading your posts....I can't wait to see pics. I love your new China Wrasse. I had one for several years, he did well from day one. After he passed, I bought another one and did not have good luck. I was bummed, because they are beautiful fish. I am hoping yours does great!! [emoji16]

linus.chan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity anyone have an idea of what wrasse captive lifespans runs on average?

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity anyone have an idea of what wrasse captive lifespans runs on average?

Don’t have an answer to your question but I would recommend buying them as juv but that can be hard sometimes when it comes to ID’ing some of them or you can buy them young that way you stand a good chance of getting many years out of them.
I had wrasses last me 5yrs and more.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I suspect it varies from genus to genus. I also suspect flasher wrasses to be among the shorter lived. I have a Potter's wrasse that I've had for about 5 years. I had an H. chrysus that I acquired about 6 years ago that is alive and well in a friends tank.

linus.chan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i agree on juveniles, but for instance very rarely are they available on DD, they are almost always Terminal Males. LA does sell juvenile females, but for the more rare fish- Lineatus- it is hard to find juveniles.

MIKE NY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience most of my wrasses only live between 5-7 years. I try to purchase them as juveniles when possible and don’t know why some species of fish like Angels, tangs and clowns live so much longer. I had a PBT live to 17 and currently have a pair of clowns over 20....

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
45E9041A-9E59-4F3F-A52C-BDFE14FD37A4.jpeg
E524B734-4AF1-4772-BEFA-82E59BC80EA5.jpeg
I don’t have good news. The 4 came but 1 DOA and three on their side. :(
I hope to get one or two out of this but the largest was all but gone.

Salinity was at 27 ppt. Mine QT system is 35 ppt. I quick drip maybe 1/2 hr and in they go. Wish me a lot of luck.

I ordered 4 medium but got two large and two medium.

Last edited:

Jaag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can C. Lunatus be mixed in a 100 gallon reef? I know they are in the same complex, but their complex is the least aggressive and requires the least amount of space. Example C. Lunatus, C. Isosceles and C. Brunneus?

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Salinity was at 27 ppt. Mine QT system is 35 ppt. I quick drip maybe 1/2 hr and in they go. Wish me a lot of luck.

LA out of quality marine generally ships between 1.019 - 1.021sg, inverts 1.023sg. Divers den is 1.024-1.025sg. What you can do in the future is have the QT system short a couple gallons, and if the bag is testing very low, drop some RO in there and you won't have to deal with such a large swing in a short amount of time.

My LFS does the same thing, fish are generally 1.019sg, or if from an invert tank 1.023sg. I have the QT ready to go at 1.023 off the bat.

Hope your ladies make it!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. My QT system is a reef with inverts, snails, pods and everything. Lots of Macroalgale. I also use it to QT frags so I cannot change the salinity too much. Essentially they go into a healthy reef

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can C. Lunatus be mixed in a 100 gallon reef? I know they are in the same complex, but their complex is the least aggressive and requires the least amount of space. Example C. Lunatus, C. Isosceles and C. Brunneus?

I've seen a C. Isosceles and C. Brunneus get along but I would be leery of doing C. Lunatus with ether of those. I plan on a C. Brunneus to add to my C. Isosceles. One reason they may get along is the difference in tails - lyre vs pin/diamond shape. But I would leave that question to @evolved or @eatbreakfast

linus.chan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am pulling for you and them!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 138 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back