The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

So last night i come home to my splendid (isoceles) wrasse doing his thing- he is very active and just the star of my tank. Anyhow, i began to feed, when i clearly hear what sounds like a jumping fish. Now i do have screens- and this fish has been in my tank now for close to 6 months and while he has jumped into the corner overflow- he had yet to jump out of the tank- and i was going to assume that he just bumped into the screen and fell back into the tank- when i thought i heard what sounded like a fish on the ground. I quickly looked behind my tank- found him (he must have jumped right through this area of the screen that while covers the edge of the tank might still allow a fish to get through because i run a couple of cords for powerheads into the tank). I scoop him up and put him back into the tank. The total time out of the water was likely 1-2 minutes.

He seemed to be in shock, floated towards the bottom, but after about 30 seconds, was breathing, and then maneuvered himself (without apparent difficulty) into the dark and hidden area of the tank. This was about 6:30pm and his usual sleep time is about 7:30 or so.

He didn't come out again last night. This morning i thought i spotted him cruising in the back of the tank- but there was a storm last night and my apex got knocked out of whack- and while my return was still running, my powerheads and my heaters were knocked off line for about 6 hours. (Tank temp dropped to about 74 before i fixed everything). I couldn't find the fish again even after feeding.

I get this is a bit of a shock to the fish, and he is likely hiding for a little while, (in the past when he jumped between the overflow and main tank, he would hide for a few hours) but i am a nervous nelly by nature. Does anyone have any reassuring thoughts for me?

In order of concern-
1) he got a spinal injury (i lost a rhomboid in QT to this, which i am convinced happened after he jumped into the lid covering my QT tank)
2) he had some other injury that can cause infection
3) an unknown lot of things.

I know there isn't much i can do except wait. ( I am getting a new tank in a couple of weeks that is plumbed and will be using Ecotech pumps so i don't have to run wires or have an over the top return so i can use much tighter screens). But if anyone has thoughts or things to share that is great.

I really love the fairy wrasses and essentially getting the new tank set up in such a way that i can stop worrying about them jumping all the time. I have lost 3 during QT (2 died on arrival or died within a day of arrival due to shipping one died due to spinal injury) as above, and one who made it out of QT(a bathyphus) died by jumping within 20 seconds that i had moved the screen- to the top of the screen.

A few weeks ago, my orange back jumped the day after he was put in the DT, was on the carpet for an unknown amount of time. At least a few minutes. Still was slightly damp and trying to breathe, grabbed him and swished him around in the tank and he went straight to the bottom under a coral. 1.5 days later he was out and about swimming like nothing ever happened. From the time I put him in until about 36 hours later I saw him once do a quick lap at the front of the tank and that was it. Since then he is front and center constantly and would never know anything happened. And the very small area in the lid he made his perfect jump through has been fixed so that won't happen again.

Just to give an idea, where he jumped would have been near the overflow and then he had to flop from there across the entire net cover and then dropped 58" down to the carpet and was 4 feet in front of the tank. So it definitely was out of water for a bit. Good thing the T5's were off or he would have cooked quickly on the lid.

Last edited:

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The A. neoguinaicus is a real beauty. My first Anampses wrasse. I saw her in the LFS and just cannot resisted buying her. She was eating, and already eat frozen mysis and was hunting pods in my QT. I a a little worry that she did not go into the sand tonight Was still swimming even when the light goes out. I turn on a little light for her so she can see her way to get into the sand. The LFS she came from did not have much sand for her. They don't turn their light on until early afternoon so I think her day/night is kinda mixed up. I hope she will adjust well

Overboard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The A. neoguinaicus is a real beauty. My first Anampses wrasse. I saw her in the LFS and just cannot resisted buying her. She was eating, and already eat frozen mysis and was hunting pods in my QT. I a a little worry that she did not go into the sand tonight Was still swimming even when the light goes out. I turn on a little light for her so she can see her way to get into the sand. The LFS she came from did not have much sand for her. They don't turn their light on until early afternoon so I think her day/night is kinda mixed up. I hope she will adjust well

Eating already is a good sign! It is probably still getting settled in. Hope it does well. I love Anampses and have been fortunate with a red tail and yellow tail in the past. My current tank does not have the pod population yet so holding off for now. Keep us posted on it’s progress. Good luck!

MIKE NY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as it is eating I wouldn’t worry. Mine was the first wrasse up in the morning and usually the last in the sand. It would even be out sometimes hunting pods at night when the moon lights were on. Unfortunately I recently lost it after about 6 years and I’m looking for another.

ViciousDlishus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at stocking some Wrasse to my 70gal. I've had some losses in qt so will be using copper power this time around. Any suggestions here please let me know.

General questions. Should I look at getting smaller non terminal fish? Should I get 1 terminal? Should they all be the same size etc. Should I start with least aggressive and work my way down to most. (I'll be using acclimation boxes. Should I add them all at the same time?

I saw a beauty terminal (I think) pintail isosceles today they also had a female (once again I think had a rounded tail and much smaller) I'd love one of these but want to make sure I won't hand cuff my options like I had done with a Naoko (dead).

I'd like a group of 3 or 4 if anyone has some suggestions. I like the looks of hooded, exquisite, pintail and then perhaps a flasher?

linus.chan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks blk! I came home today and was hoping he would be out but was a no-show I finally looked for him and found him in the back of the tank- breathing and looking okay just scared still. Hope he starts feeling better by morning.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a McCoskeri in the past. As the LFS employee went to catch him he went ballistic and jumped out of the tank, 5 feet and hit the ground. They caught him flopping on the ground and put him in the container. He seem fine so I bought him anyway, and he did just fine.

d-man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Minh, China wrasses are beautiful. That blue spot is intense too. I had one for probably 8-9 months then one day just disappeared. But he was a model citizen. I’ll definitely get one again. People always commented on the “black and white “ one, lol

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm looking at stocking some Wrasse to my 70gal. I've had some losses in qt so will be using copper power this time around. Any suggestions here please let me know.

General questions. Should I look at getting smaller non terminal fish? Should I get 1 terminal? Should they all be the same size etc. Should I start with least aggressive and work my way down to most. (I'll be using acclimation boxes. Should I add them all at the same time?

I saw a beauty terminal (I think) pintail isosceles today they also had a female (once again I think had a rounded tail and much smaller) I'd love one of these but want to make sure I won't hand cuff my options like I had done with a Naoko (dead).

I'd like a group of 3 or 4 if anyone has some suggestions. I like the looks of hooded, exquisite, pintail and then perhaps a flasher?

I try not to use copper on my wrasses in QT but choose other methods for ich treatment and use prazi. Although copper power is chelated and not as harsh as ionic copper. I am a fan of buying younger wrasses (females or submales) and watching them grow. While terminal males are beautiful, they are more expenses and some say are toward the end of their life span, but of course each fish is different.

I love the list you have and they are on my stocking list for my new tank. In fact, I have a Pintail (C. Isosceles) ready to go into my display in the next couple of weeks. Of those you have listed, I would put the Exquisite in last and let the other get established first. Good luck

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TSM corals has a male that I was looking at. they site don’t work properly don’t know if it’s me or the site.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I look at getting smaller non terminal fish? Should I get 1 terminal? Should they all be the same size etc.
From a compatibility position, it really does not matter much in regards to those questions.
Should I start with least aggressive and work my way down to most.
Yes, you'll definitely want to do that and use an acclimation box each time.
Just stick with on specimen of the species, but otherwise isosceles will be just fine. Don't forget about this too :): https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/c...feriority-need-not-apply-1st-revision.322326/

Anyone know where I can still get a Hawaiian Flame wrasse pair from?
There are still some on the market, but the prices have certainly gone up. However, please stick with only one - not a pair. https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/pairing-wrasses-thats-not-how-any-of-this-works.3/

Tropical-fish-life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Large Wrasse Bass. Got a large one today. Such a rare and pretty fish.

IMG_1813.JPG

tp5056

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey guys ... so one of my Potter's is making a transition to male and has been hiding a lot.

Anyone else experience this while one of their wrasses transitioned?

FreddyFrags

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I’m wondering if you think a radiant wrasse will behave having a pistol shrimp/goby pair in the tank with him? And possibly some sexy shrimp.

I’m guessing the sexy shrimp will end up being a snack and possibly the pistol?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I’m wondering if you think think a radiant wrasse will behave having a pistol shrimp/goby pair in the tank with him? And possibly some sexy shrimp.

I’m guessing the sexy shrimp will end up being a snack and possibly the pistol?
Pistol shrimp should be fine, sexy shrimp will likely be snacks.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 36 54.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 56.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • None.

Votes: 14 21.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.1%
Back