The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Tanggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really enjoy this thread. Just wanted to share the splendid pintail I got today.

splendidpintail.JPG

tp5056

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ugh ... my LFS just announced they got a few pairs of flame wrasses in for $300/pair ... I feel like my 120 is full though!

I kinda made a promise to myself not to try anymore fairy wrasses because they've been somehow finding spaces to jump through my egg crate cover or get injured jumping into it.

- Yellow tang
- swallow tail angel
- potters angel
- pair of onyx clowns
- cleaner wrasse
- china wrasse
- lubbock wrasse
- leopard wrasse
- potters wrasse x 2

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh ... my LFS just announced they got a few pairs of flame wrasses in for $300/pair ... I feel like my 120 is full though!

I kinda made a promise to myself not to try anymore fairy wrasses because they've been somehow finding spaces to jump through my egg crate cover or get injured jumping into it.

- Yellow tang
- swallow tail angel
- potters angel
- pair of onyx clowns
- cleaner wrasse
- china wrasse
- lubbock wrasse
- leopard wrasse
- potters wrasse x 2

Sounds like you need to make a better cover use mesh it’s safer for wrasses the mesh is not hard like egg crate

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

- Yellow tang
- swallow tail angel
- potters angel
- pair of onyx clowns
- cleaner wrasse
- china wrasse
- lubbock wrasse
- leopard wrasse
- potters wrasse x 2
You need better cover. Twice a day I moved the screen up a little to feed my fish, the fishes were very excited. At least 10 times when over the last three months one of the wrasse would launch himself out of the water and hit the screen and bounce back. This would vibrate the screen. These are only when I am feeding, I am sure there are times they jumped when I am not there. If my cover is egg-crate I am sure I would have significant injured wrasses. I also have a clear acrylic cover the overflow so that my tank is escape proof.
It is cheap and easy to build. If you use egg-crates you can replace it with a screen similar to mine.
1FBCF82A-4318-477F-BF54-E5545BAE5EFF.jpeg

Tanggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure your mesh screen top is super tight. I just lost my leopard wrasse 2 wks ago, carpet surfing. I have a mesh screen top but at one end it was about 1/2 inch short. Never thought it would find that spot but she did. Sad day.

Tanggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally was fast enough to get a snatch up a flame fairy wrasse for my tank!

55aa619085ee69c5b47f8bb9014ed64f.png

Btw live aquaria still has one available
I snatched one also this morning. I have the pintail from DD in QT. I am hesitant to put this flame wrasse in with the pintail since it's coming from LA...I am considering cancelling my order...

bhuyett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I snatched one also this morning. I have the pintail from DD in QT. I am hesitant to put this flame wrasse in with the pintail since it's coming from LA...I am considering cancelling my order...

What is your concern with putting the C. Jordani with the C. Isosceles together? The only issue, is you would be required to start your QT process all over again.

Tanggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your concern with putting the C. Jordani with the C. Isosceles together? The only issue, is you would be required to start your QT process all over again.
My concern is fish from DD is "conditioned and treated" while fish from LA comes directly from a wholesaler. I guess if I am going to prophylactically treat them it does not matter....

bhuyett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My concern is fish from DD is "conditioned and treated" while fish from LA comes directly from a wholesaler. I guess if I am going to prophylactically treat them it does not matter....

Even fish from DD should be quarantined. My understanding is all of their systems may be connected. So even if they are conditioned, they are still being susceptible to disease being transmitted from tank to tank due to all of the plumbing being connected. But I could be wrong.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Conditioned just means they are somewhat acclimated to captive life. i.e. eating prepared foods, exhibiting somewhat normal behavior. What DD does is very helpful but it's not an adequate quarantine. as bhyuett said, they should still be quarantined.

I mix fish from DD and LA all the time in QT

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally was fast enough to get a snatch up a flame fairy wrasse for my tank!

55aa619085ee69c5b47f8bb9014ed64f.png

Btw live aquaria still has one available

I got in early on this one too, hopefully I was able to get 2, ordered on line guickly because I didn’t know the quantity they had then called and asked them to add another, hoping one will transition to male

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 68 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.0%
Back