The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

nick0206

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello.
I have a 75 gallon SPS dominated tank.
From fish 3 Chromises and 3 Tangs (Blue Powder, Veliferum and Yellow).
Invertebrates, Fire Shrimp, 2 Peppermint Shrimps and Harlequin Shrimp, Serpent star, about a dozen large Turbo snails and many small ones.
For the first time in 16 years of hobby I have got flatworms, most likely it is acoel flatworm.
I decided to buy a wrasse, but since I have never had such a fish, I need some advice.
Which wrasse should I choose?
Criteria
1. Cleaning the tank from parasites
2. Compatible with my fishes and shrimps
There is no sand in my tank. How critical is this?

I would be grateful for your advice

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I used to QT wrasses, I would put a tupperware container of sand in the QT for them to sleep in. Large enough for their entire body, and at least 3 inches deep.

No sand for a sand sleeping wrasse = stressed out, eventually dead wrasse.

nick0206

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no problem arranging a container of sand for him. I am more interested in which wrasse is more suitable for me and how they will get along with my shrimp and fish.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any "hunting" type wrasse will sleep in the sand. A sandbed, or even dish of sand somewhere for them to sleep is a must.
Not always, pink streaks do not do this. Neither do the lined wrasses.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow corris, or any leopard species are excellent hunters.

I find my red corris prefers my snails and conchs more then hunting anything.
Also not true, leopards only hunt pods. Halichoeres hunt any animal, worm, snail, hermit, crab, ect… also, yellow coris wrasses are a false friend, they aren’t coris wrasses they’re instead Halichoeres chrysus, closely related to the silver belly wrasse.
Hello.
I have a 75 gallon SPS dominated tank.
From fish 3 Chromises and 3 Tangs (Blue Powder, Veliferum and Yellow).
Invertebrates, Fire Shrimp, 2 Peppermint Shrimps and Harlequin Shrimp, Serpent star, about a dozen large Turbo snails and many small ones.
For the first time in 16 years of hobby I have got flatworms, most likely it is acoel flatworm.
I decided to buy a wrasse, but since I have never had such a fish, I need some advice.
Which wrasse should I choose?
Criteria
1. Cleaning the tank from parasites
2. Compatible with my fishes and shrimps
There is no sand in my tank. How critical is this?

I would be grateful for your advice
what is the wrasse species? That will help me with more information on your side.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not always, pink streaks do not do this. Neither do the lined wrasses.
True, didn't think of those. I normally don't suggest lined wrasses as most end up being a hassle.
Also not true, leopards only hunt pods. Halichoeres hunt any animal, worm, snail, hermit, crab, ect… also, yellow coris wrasses are a false friend, they aren’t coris wrasses they’re instead Halichoeres chrysus, closely related to the silver belly wrasse.

what is the wrasse species? That will help me with more information on your side.
I've always been under the impression leopards were hunters, I stand corrected. And I knew about the yellow corris not being a true corris, but they are called that in the hobby.

Of the 3 yellows I've owned over the years, never had them hunt a snail, crab, etc. They tend to be model citizens, hence my suggestion. My red corris on the other hand, is a menace to my CUC.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True, didn't think of those. I normally don't suggest lined wrasses as most end up being a hassle.

I've always been under the impression leopards were hunters, I stand corrected. And I knew about the yellow corris not being a true corris, but they are called that in the hobby.

Of the 3 yellows I've owned over the years, never had them hunt a snail, crab, etc. They tend to be model citizens, hence my suggestion. My red corris on the other hand, is a menace to my CUC.
Yeah, my jade wrasse is the same as your red coris. My radiant never touches CUC but my jade is their hell along with my CBB. Also, it’s been a while since I’ve shown my wrasses on here so I guess it’s time for an updated group of photos of them!!
Cirrhilabrus lubbocki (Indonesian variant) > 1.5-2 inch
image.jpg

Halichoeres chloropterus > 4-4.5 inch
image.jpg

Halichoeres iridis > 3.5-4 inch
image.jpg

Cirrhilabrus lubbocki (Cebu var.) > 3 inch
image.jpg

Cirrhilabrus melanomarginatus > 4 inch
image.jpg

Cirrhilabrus naokoae > 2 inch
image.jpg

Macropharyngodon bipartitus > 1 inch
image.jpg

Pseudocheilinops ataenia > 1 inch
image.jpg

I’m hoping at some point I can get hold of a Possum wrasse to replace my other two wrasses in the nano tank (M. bipartitus & C. naokoae).

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great shots of beautiful fish. I'd like to add a green coris to my collection but tank is to small. Is that a leopard?

I have a pintail fairy, rhomboid, yellow coris and a 6 line currently.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great shots of beautiful fish. I'd like to add a green coris to my collection but tank is to small. Is that a leopard?

I have a pintail fairy, rhomboid, yellow coris and a 6 line currently.
I have my Jade/Green coris in a 4’ tank, she is beautiful until she chases my radiant around - It’s calming down more and the radiant is sticking up for herself much more now. The big boss tang is keeping all of my wrasses in line which is why I assume they get along. Your collection sounds beautiful though!! The pintail is a dream of mine.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found my new pintail dried up on the kitchen counter behind some xmas decorations.

It's always the wrasses my wife picks out that end up jumping. I do have a cover, and have had the pintail almost 3 months now. Wonder if it jumped the other day when doing maintenance?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found my new pintail dried up on the kitchen counter behind some xmas decorations.

It's always the wrasses my wife picks out that end up jumping. I do have a cover, and have had the pintail almost 3 months now. Wonder if it jumped the other day when doing maintenance?
I always think about this during water changes. I try and do a head count during and after the water change. Sorry for your loss.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my Jade/Green coris in a 4’ tank, she is beautiful until she chases my radiant around - It’s calming down more and the radiant is sticking up for herself much more now. The big boss tang is keeping all of my wrasses in line which is why I assume they get along. Your collection sounds beautiful though!! The pintail is a dream of mine.
I think my yellow coris is my favorite. Bright color, peaceful, swims constantly looking for pests and dives full throttle into the sand bed at night head first.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This isn’t uncommon unfortunately… I have found my wrasses to get into the worst gaps ever (Back of a max nano, down into the sump of my 4’ tank and more). It most likely did get out that way, if possible I would do WCs by the sump and take water out of there. Then you don’t risk the chance of a fish jumping. I do this because I have too many jumping fish in my main display, 5 wrasses a tile an Angel and a foxface. Most of my tank is jumping fish so I try to not have to open the lid for too long during a WC.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm the same, WC out of the sump simply because of the jumping wrasses, and my blue eye kole has a tendency to jump. I've heard it hit the lid a few times.

I was blowing off rocks, clipping corals, and mounting a couple frags. My lid is usually on 99% of the time.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine all hide when I touch the lid.
My jade and the Indo lubbocki do this, the rest are scavenging/swimming unless I’ve not fed them, in that case they’re up at the top (Even the foxface… That’s the other reason I don’t put my hand in the tank unless it’s a coral frag, new fish/invert ect…)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back