The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of challenges when wrasses start to mature. The vying for dominance and their perchant for leaping through the smallest gaps is quite exhausting.
I agree with this, I have a feeling my juvenile jade is maturing and trying to keep peace between the other inhabitants and her is VERY hard, although yes the foxface and tang deal with it I will try and go up to the tank to scare her away from the radiant. They coexisted perfectly for the past 1.5 years-2 years (Can’t quite remember how long) but recently in the past few months the Jade has been maturing and growing rapidly. She’s stopped at 4” for now, probably going to mature at 5-6” though.

Last edited:

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently having the same issue between my red and yellow corris.

The yellow is fully mature, the red is just changing. Both have gotten along fine for the last 2 years.

The yellow has always been the tank boss, but as the red matures and gets larger, and changes color, there has been many squabbles lately.

I might have to rehome the red even though I don't want to.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently having the same issue between my red and yellow corris.

The yellow is fully mature, the red is just changing. Both have gotten along fine for the last 2 years.

The yellow has always been the tank boss, but as the red matures and gets larger, and changes color, there has been many squabbles lately.

I might have to rehome the red even though I don't want to.
This is what my issue is, I love my wrasse group but if the jade gets any worse it may turn out to being taken out… I don’t want to do this now though since I love her and also don’t want to stress out my tilefish.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since were enabling in this thread.......

Heres some of my wrasse gang. You know, why do they swim so fast? LOL really hard to get pictures of.

20211227_123220.jpg

20211227_123313.jpg

20211227_123337.jpg

20211227_123159.jpg

And the black leopard as predicted, is still hiding in the sand. And my melanarus is too dang camera shy to get pics of. Soon as I get near the tank with my phone, it dives under the sand. As long as my phone isn't in my hand, he will stay out.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since were enabling in this thread.......

Heres some of my wrasse gang. You know, why do they swim so fast? LOL really hard to get pictures of.

20211227_123220.jpg

20211227_123313.jpg

20211227_123337.jpg

20211227_123159.jpg

And the black leopard as predicted, is still hiding in the sand. And my melanarus is too dang camera shy to get pics of. Soon as I get near the tank with my phone, it dives under the sand. As long as my phone isn't in my hand, he will stay out.
I love your Melagris, that was the leopard I was going to choose over the one I wound up with (Bipartitus) but they had a nice sized and nice colour juvenile and I jumped on it. They now have a meleagris that was the same size as the bipartitus and it’s been so hard to push away from the temptation of a second leopard in my nano (I know it’s already pushing the limits which is why it’s so hard to not try stress the naoko out by moving tank at the size he is now). The transition of the gaimard is a beautiful phase though, such a shame he’s getting aggressive. The pintail just makes me jealous, I saw a transitioning phase male and it was stunning.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The transitioning gaimard, he is beautiful! I just hope I can keep him till he's fully transitioned. He's been slowly, and I do mean slowly changing. Been about this far changed for 3 months now.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen many beautiful wrasses over the years, but I think the female melagris is my absolute favorite.
Yeah, I prefer the female leopards over the males for sure, I think the only case I prefer the male over female is the choati leopard. If I ever see a chaoti in person I will certainly admire it for more than a couple hours haha.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine always turn male fast and the smallest eats the most trying to catch-up. Rhomboid turned male by the time he was 2”.

DVal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is everybody's experience with iridis and earmuff wrasses? I know the iridis is a notoriously difficult shipper. I currently have a black leopard, ornate leopard, and a solon in a 6x2ft

Gobi-Wan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
I have a mature 125 gallon tank that I am thinking about adding some wrasses to. I know there is a lot to know as far as what wrasses are compatible so i was wondering if anyone has some advice. My current occupants are:
Purple tang
One spot foxface
Copperband butterfly
Oscellaris pair
Royal Gramma
Mandarin dragonette
Going to be adding a diamond goby and thinking about a midas blenny.

I don't have any red in the tank and i don't have a ton of room to add more big fish so i was thinking about getting some warm colors and movement by adding maybe a few flasher wrasses? Any thoughts on what might work well?

ReeferCO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exquisite is one of my favorites as well. Unfortunately, I have had way to many jump over the years to keep adding them for my own pleasure.

Also don't know if it's the location I live in, but they are few and far between, and I do not like ordering livestock online.
Good to know they are jumpers! I do have a very tight fitting lid. Having said that I have lost fish in the past from jumping and it sucks! Especially if you have had them for a long time.
So, in terms of the chart and what should mix I’ve said it before but if you want an example of a wrasse collection that breaks just about every rule of this chart my wrasse collection is the only example I can think of. If you manage a peaceful specimen of both species then it will most likely work just fine. I would add the exquisite in first then do the orange back second, their colours should be enough to differentiate the two and show they’re different fish. IMO you can’t get prettier than the Vanuatu exquisite variation, the African is a close second though.
For sure your collection of wrasse is amazing. I don’t have anywhere near the level of knowledge or experience. I may try to get fish that have a better chance at success up front. I can make questionable decisions on pairing fish in the future. I am an expert at questionable decision making. Usually comes back to bite me in a hurry but I keep trying anyways!
If you are going to try it get them same time and small females. Younger they are they acclimate, ship better and get alone better. As they mature things can turn. I always have a trap ready.
This is a good tip! Much appreciated.
I also agree with others just wanted to add my findings. Wrasse are worth it but can be little tricky. Also don’t be hesitant gets three wrasse and add them then be done until an upgrade. Every good wrasse post should enable lol
This had me cracking up! I need someone to help me “pump the brakes”. I have the “go” pedal all figured out lol!!

ReeferCO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of challenges when wrasses start to mature. The vying for dominance and their perchant for leaping through the smallest gaps is quite exhausting.
That’s good insight. Always good to be prepared when tempers start to flare! Thank you

ReeferCO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate ordering online, and I just don't see too many "exotic" wrasses at the LFS's I frequent. Always just the run of the mill 6 line, melanarus, melagris leopards, etc.
I think ordering online is going to be my only option. I have been checking out all the LFS in my area and the wrasse selection has been limited. If anyone has a good shop in Colorado please let me know.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 26.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back