The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She's out this afternoon, first time I see her in almost a week. She's still very shy and skittish but glad to see she's out of the sand at least.
20220213_145213.jpg
Great feeling isn’t it. My fish are conditioned so they don’t hide except my melagris. Disappear for 3 or so months before I saw her.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new fairy wrasses are arriving Thursday now, being shipped Wednesday because of the cold temps in Michigan tonight.

In the mean time, here are some pics of ny Pintail (Cirrhilabrus isosceles). He's finally transitioning to supermale coloration, and is looking spectacular! Also throwing in some pics of the cebu lubbocks fairy and the radiant wrasse.

Attachments

• received_232003405807095.jpeg
    received_232003405807095.jpeg
    69 KB · Views: 47
  • received_372675584250843.jpeg
    received_372675584250843.jpeg
    68.7 KB · Views: 45
  • received_369165784657303.jpeg
    received_369165784657303.jpeg
    72.5 KB · Views: 43
  • received_701430181238530.jpeg
    received_701430181238530.jpeg
    74.8 KB · Views: 51
  • received_2992914237688956.jpeg
    received_2992914237688956.jpeg
    67.8 KB · Views: 55
  • received_659508552138390.jpeg
    received_659508552138390.jpeg
    94.8 KB · Views: 47
  • received_1653808741618110.jpeg
    received_1653808741618110.jpeg
    94.6 KB · Views: 41
  • received_651054122884628.jpeg
    received_651054122884628.jpeg
    94 KB · Views: 53
  • received_493837408839887.jpeg
    received_493837408839887.jpeg
    89 KB · Views: 46

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new fairy wrasses are arriving Thursday now, being shipped Wednesday because of the cold temps in Michigan tonight.

In the mean time, here are some pics of ny Pintail (Cirrhilabrus isosceles). He's finally transitioning to supermale coloration, and is looking spectacular! Also throwing in some pics of the cebu lubbocks fairy and the radiant wrasse.
Nice! His colors are looking great! I have an old lady brain remind me what fairy wrasses are you getting?

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! His colors are looking great! I have an old lady brain remind me what fairy wrasses are you getting?
We have a golden rhomboid (C. rhomboidalis) and a red velvet (C. rubrisquammis) coming Thursday.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That lubbocki is beautiful!

Wonder if one of my male lubbocks is a supermale, but because I have never seen photos of a supermale Cebu/Indo lubbocki I really couldn’t say. I’m still working on timing it right with getting a photo of the two flashing though.

aherre07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 3 most recent additions hanging out together. The yellow and Moyers spend most of the day swimming along close to one another. The meleagris is only out a few hours a day right when lights come on. Don't usually see much of her in the evenings glad she's doing well and finding stuff to fill her belly on the reef.
20220216_132144.jpg

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 3 most recent additions hanging out together. The yellow and Moyers spend most of the day swimming along close to one another. The meleagris is only out a few hours a day right when lights come on. Don't usually see much of her in the evenings glad she's doing well and finding stuff to fill her belly on the reef.
20220216_132144.jpg
I still need to find a meleagris and a yellow coris here locally. All the shops around here have leucoxanthus, but never chrysus, and I prefer the chrysus. Thought about a moyers, but I think I'll do a bipartitus or a kuiters instead.

One of my fish orders for tomorrow got delayed again because of winter storms in Memphis tonight, so it looks like the majority of my wrasses will hopefully ship out tomorrow for Friday.

aherre07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as stated above I am in the next phase of my fish collecting and am currently working on adding wrasses to my 240. I have the following list and order in which I plan to add them to the tank let me know what you all think of the plan. I will start by saying I know that I will probably have to make a few cuts along the way but its just so hard to limit which ones to add and which not to. The ones in red are already in my tank and doing well.

1st additions
Leopards: Meleagris, Moyer's, Blue Star, Black Leopard and a Potter's (Hawaii dependent)

2nd
Flashers: McCosker's, Filamented, Royal and a Diamondtail

3rd
Fairies: Pintail, Lineatus, Rhomboid, Rose banded and a Flame (Hawaii Dependent)

Halichoeres: Yellow, Radiant

Anampses: China

That would be a total of 17 wrasses IF I could source all of them. Probably too many, BUT who knows if Hawaii is going to reopen which would take me down to 15 and price on Rose Banded, Rhomboid and Diamond tail may be restrictive as well so all in all planning on about 12-14 total in the end.

Please feel free to critique my plan and/or make suggestions on which to add or not.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as stated above I am in the next phase of my fish collecting and am currently working on adding wrasses to my 240. I have the following list and order in which I plan to add them to the tank let me know what you all think of the plan. I will start by saying I know that I will probably have to make a few cuts along the way but its just so hard to limit which ones to add and which not to. The ones in red are already in my tank and doing well.

1st additions
Leopards: Meleagris, Moyer's, Blue Star, Black Leopard and a Potter's (Hawaii dependent)

2nd

3rd
Fairies: Pintail, Lineatus, Rhomboid, Rose banded and a Flame (Hawaii Dependent)

That would be a total of 17 wrasses IF I could source all of them. Probably too many, BUT who knows if Hawaii is going to reopen which would take me down to 15 and price on Rose Banded, Rhomboid and Diamond tail may be restrictive as well so all in all planning on about 12-14 total in the end.

Please feel free to critique my plan and/or make suggestions on which to add or not.
I love this list and would absolutely do all these in a 240

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1st additions

2nd

3rd

Nice list! Rhomboid a lineatus are iffy but in your big tank it should be ok. Adding rhomboid first wouldn’t be a bad idea. The Diamondtail will be a great show!

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the timor wrasse came today along with the rest of the fish from Sustainable Aquatics. Looked absolutely gorgeous in bag, but immediately buried. Took a chance on these guys going directly into the display vs quarantine, as the only ones not captive bred were the tilefish and the timor wrasse, and both had been there for over a month. Hopefully I'll get some pics tomorrow.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the timor wrasse came today along with the rest of the fish from Sustainable Aquatics. Looked absolutely gorgeous in bag, but immediately buried. Took a chance on these guys going directly into the display vs quarantine, as the only ones not captive bred were the tilefish and the timor wrasse, and both had been there for over a month. Hopefully I'll get some pics tomorrow.
Sweet! Hopefully she’s out tomorrow and you can snap a pic!

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes I'm just a little kid. I went to the LFS for boring stuff and returned with a ''pair'' of mccoskeri. Very happy to have wrasses again of course! Now I know there's no such thing as a pair of flasher wrasses. But, I figured it's worth a shot. If it doesn't work out, I'll rehome one of them. If it does work, yay for me I guess.

My identification skills aren't the best, but to me the male looks like a yellowfin. Thoughts? If it is, that'd be the second time I've been wrongly sold a yellowfin (which I'm not complaining about at all!!).
20220218_154859.jpg
20220218_154858.jpg
20220218_154856.jpg
20220218_154830.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes I'm just a little kid. I went to the LFS for boring stuff and returned with a ''pair'' of mccoskeri. Very happy to have wrasses again of course! Now I know there's no such thing as a pair of flasher wrasses. But, I figured it's worth a shot. If it doesn't work out, I'll rehome one of them. If it does work, yay for me I guess.

My identification skills aren't the best, but to me the male looks like a yellowfin. Thoughts? If it is, that'd be the second time I've been wrongly sold a yellowfin (which I'm not complaining about at all!!).
20220218_154859.jpg
20220218_154858.jpg
20220218_154856.jpg
20220218_154830.jpg
Looks like you got yourself two mccoskeri’s there. Yellow fin flashers have a fully yellow anal fin, mccoskers have a half yellow anal fin.

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you got yourself two mccoskeri’s there. Yellow fin flashers have a fully yellow anal fin, mccoskers have a half yellow anal fin.
Huh, never seen such a yellow mccoskeri. Not that I care about a name really. Mccoskeri personality with yellowfin sort of colors is a score for me lol.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1st additions

2nd

3rd

I would definitely get a Blue Star and a Black! They would complement eachother so well IMO. The black being a darker shade but having white spots and the Blue star being a lighter shade but having white spots. I love my blue star, I’d love to keep a gold nugget with her to show the differences but also how well they complement eachother.

Mccoskeri and Diamond Tails also complement eachother with colours. Filamentosus works well too, the nice maroon body in with the red and orange bodies. The royal would look beautiful with the angulated fins and the others having more rounded and filamented fins.

Rose banded and a Pintail would look beautiful, just be weary of the slightly more boisterous behaviour of the rose band. Rhomboid and lineatus have a nice tan/yellow-gold body and would look beautiful in the pink that the other guys have. Flames would add a nice “Flare” to the “royal” colours that the other guys have.

Yellow and the Radiant would look beautiful together, the red that radiants have work nicely with most of the halichoeres colours.

Overall, they will all work well with eachother. Don’t think I’ve ever said a Fairy wrasses colours looked royal haha.

Go get yourself another Anampses! If you’re going to be going all out then you may aswell drop big money haha. Salty, and Crabby would most likely love to give advice to some of the more expensive wrasses - I’m more into common/“old school” wrasse so I would be happy to help in that area.

Here’s just a few of the more common wrasses I own.
Cirrhilabrus naokoae
image.jpg

image.jpg

Macropharyngodon bipartitus
image.jpg
image.jpg

Halichoeres iridis
image.jpg

image.jpg

Halichoeres chloropterus
image.jpg

image.jpg