The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I watched him grab a pajama cardinal by the eye, smash it against a rock, rip it's eye out and eat it. That was the night I tore the whole tank apart, dug through all the sand, and traded him, the bluehead, and the melanurus into the LFS the next morning.
that is one nasty fish. I hope my gold nugget doesn't get that way.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ctentocaethus truncatus, Flavescens and Caeruleus (hoping to put, as last tang, one Leucosternon)
IMHO I wouldn’t add any other fish to that tank. I assume that’s 2 bristletooths and a Yellow Tang. Yellows get big and aggressive, yes some people have tangs that avoid wrasses and fish shaped like wrasses however it’s 50/50 and most of the time those tangs are Ctenochaetus varieties. I know how aggressive Zebrasoma tangs will get and if I’m honest that’s not what I’d want in a 4’ tank. PBTs are feisty and have been known to wreck havoc in a 4’ tank so I’d also avoid that. If I was to go with any wrasse in that tank it would only be the most aggressive species out there, I.E. Jade, Thalassoma spp, Coris, Ghomposus ect.

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zebrasoma big ? It's one of the smallest tang... It's 20cm in nature, in a tank usually is 10-15cm...

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jade Wrasse (Halichoeres chloropterus) is aggressive ? I've added that yesterday :eek::eek::eek:
They get VERY nasty as adults. Should fit right in with the Yellow. I’m on the edge of rehoming mine currently but he is on his last few straws (Actually reminds me to check for anything new going on with the transitioning).

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zebrasoma big ? It's one of the smallest tang... It's 20cm in nature, in a tank usually is 10-15cm...
They’re active and a 7” fish isn’t impossible in captivity. IMHO it just isn’t worth it, these animals need 6’ tanks or they turn that tank into hell. The Atlentic Blue is another large tang and active. Those guys are one of the worst Acanthurus for aggression (I speak from experience). I know it’s small now but that fish will easily hit 9 inch and be highly active. I have seen a few wild 12” yellows before and although they aren’t common it still isn’t impossible.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had a 6' FOWLR I'd add in a Candy Cane Wrasse (Hologymnosus doliatus). One of my LFS has had 2 juveniles for a while now and they're gorgeous and so tempting, but I don't need all my little fish and inverts eaten. Plus my tank isn't big enough for an adult. They're like a slightly more aggressive version of a red coris as adults.

A wrasse dominated 8' FOWLR would be gorgeous. 1 Paddlefin Wrasse, 1 Bird Wrasse, 1 Candy Cane Wrasse, 1 Anchorago Tuskfish, 1 jade wrasse, 1 coral hogfish, 1 cockerel wrasse, a few tangs (yellow, purple, desjardini, powder blue, hippo), an arc eye hawkfish, a trio of soldierfish, an asfur angel, a niger trigger, a picasso trigger, a pinktail trigger, and a few groups of damsels (juvenile Dascyllus and Chrysiptera) Super active, colorful, and should all do pretty well together.

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I'd share one of our 12 wrasse. By far the biggest of them all, our absolute unit queen coris. I have way better photos in the SLR if anyone is interested. In another year or hopefully two he will be going in the local store 1000g. He's outgrowing the 250.

20220208_135737_HDR.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I'd share one of our 12 wrasse. By far the biggest of them all, our absolute unit queen coris. I have way better photos in the SLR if anyone is interested.

20220208_135737_HDR.jpg
We need to see more of the wrasses! What species are they?

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I'd share one of our 12 wrasse. By far the biggest of them all, our absolute unit queen coris. I have way better photos in the SLR if anyone is interested. In another year or hopefully two he will be going in the local store 1000g. He's outgrowing the 250.

20220208_135737_HDR.jpg
that fish looks stunning! I see you have a picasso in the background. No issues with corals?

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that fish looks stunning! I see you have a picasso in the background. No issues with corals?
No issues with anything that moves. Chalice plates, encrusting things will get tested with a bite every so often .. As for outright eating one never. He's hunting when he hits them on accident as he does the same behavior everywhere.

I get waaay more damage at feeding time from the big wrasses smashing and death rolling the food off of anything close by. Here is another unit,

20220209_160220_HDR.jpg

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And another favorite.. The classic 6 bar, Another big one and quite honestly the most ferocious in the tank. He doesn't bully anyone but man when food hits the water watch out water will be flying everywhere outside the tank. This is a bunk photo I need to upload clear shots this fish looks amazing.

20220209_171032_HDR.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No issues with anything that moves. Chalice plates, encrusting things will get tested with a bite every so often .. As for outright eating one never. He's hunting when he hits them on accident as he does the same behavior everywhere.

I get waaay more damage at feeding time from the big wrasses smashing and death rolling the food off of anything close by. Here is another unit,

20220209_160220_HDR.jpg
I love Coris aygula and would gladly grab one but dang they get vicious and big as adults. I dream of the day I can finally get a 8’ tank or bigger for this guy.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple pics of the 3 amigos in the 75 gallon today.

received_1249861882087544.jpeg received_319919313412997.jpeg received_709720850027253.jpeg received_991554398102185.jpeg received_244588891208584.jpeg
i love the radiant and lubbocki, looks like your lubbocki is a young male too. The radiant is beautiful as a juvenile, unfortunately my radiant’s black spots have become smaller and slightly harder to see than when she was a juvenile - still no signs of a transitioning male though.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an orangeback fairy wrasse. Has been in the tank 3 weeks now. Would there be an issue adding a ruby long fin “social” fairy wrasse?

thanks.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an orangeback fairy wrasse. Has been in the tank 3 weeks now. Would there be an issue adding a ruby long fin “social” fairy wrasse?

thanks.
I wouldn’t think there would be any issues due to it being so soon after establishment of the Orange back. I’d expect aggression if it was a few months but a few weeks should be alright.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 20 17.2%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 49 42.2%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 16 13.8%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 25 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 5.2%
Back