The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

c_healy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to try get better photos of the flasher at some point… @c_healy, if you ever get your hands on a Paracheilinus species, you’ll forgive the fairies for being difficult.
I’ve had them before, I know what you mean haha. I’m trying to get my hands on a couple to round out the stock list in the tank.

c_healy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little better shot of the c. Nahackyi

CDCD4B59-308D-4E35-A001-D505D4B1C095.jpeg 0D4E5E7A-CB6A-4843-B1EB-09DF9078B4B4.jpeg 9DF0A39B-7039-43DC-A639-A4C336731769.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had them before, I know what you mean haha. I’m trying to get my hands on a couple to round out the stock list in the tank.
Do you have any specific species? I’m intrigued to see what ones you go with.
Although I’m still trying to get better photos of mine.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want to get a p. attenuatus and a blackfin mccoskers. I thought about getting a bells but it’s just so similar to a blue/line spot/filamented that I couldn’t justify the price.
I know the feeling, sometimes though you can get the common species and wind up with something that doesn’t surface in the hobby often. I mean I went into the LFS expecting to come out with coral, I wound up walking out with 3 coral and a Blue Flasher (I did some digging and both Linespots and Blues are thrown under the same common name so TMC label them as the same scientific name). Little did I know the flasher wasn’t actually what I thought and is a presumed hybrid… Dang thing doesn’t want to live up to his name though and refuses to flash so I can’t say whether he’s a three way or only a two way. The reds constantly get brighter though.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well took the drive out to the not so local FS, we dug through all 21 interconnected tanks.....

For the life of both of us, we could not find the chaoti! We dug for 3 hours! All the tanks are 3 rows of 7 small interconnected acrylic tanks. Invert tanks like you see in a lot of LFS(least I have seen these in quite a few).

LFS claims it was alive when he left Monday night. We'll wait and see though. I have not heard from him today, but I think they are closed today.

Holy grail fish remains illusive.

Ended up scoring a free flat pack of mysis for the drive, and hassle. lol

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well took the drive out to the not so local FS, we dug through all 21 interconnected tanks.....

For the life of both of us, we could not find the chaoti! We dug for 3 hours! All the tanks are 3 rows of 7 small interconnected acrylic tanks. Invert tanks like you see in a lot of LFS(least I have seen these in quite a few).

LFS claims it was alive when he left Monday night. We'll wait and see though. I have not heard from him today, but I think they are closed today.

Holy grail fish remains illusive.

Ended up scoring a free flat pack of mysis for the drive, and hassle. lol
Did you check sumps/back chamber areas? I know when I worked at the LFS if a fish went missing like that in the interconnected tanks we would usually find them in the sump with all the seeded LR. Im pretty sure I found a mantis shrimp in there once…

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup looked there too.

Problem was is the 100 pounds of sand in them, it could have been anywhere in any one of the 21 tanks. She just choose not to come out that day. lol

I'm still waiting for him to order me a long finned clown(god I hate those things, but my wife loves it, so you all know the saying... Happy wife, happy life) anyways.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup looked there too.

Problem was is the 100 pounds of sand in them, it could have been anywhere in any one of the 21 tanks. She just choose not to come out that day. lol

I'm still waiting for him to order me a long finned clown(god I hate those things, but my wife loves it, so you all know the saying... Happy wife, happy life) anyways.
Hopefully the choati reemerges. Maybe she was just thinking it’s too comfy to leave just yet and wanted to stay.

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
guys, how many Carpenteri can i put in a 400l tank? i would like to make a small harem.

and which differences between carpenteri and McCoskery? they look very very similiar

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
additionally, can i mix multiple Paracheilinus ? in example some flavianalis

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
guys, how many Carpenteri can i put in a 400l tank? i would like to make a small harem.

and which differences between carpenteri and McCoskery? they look very very similiar
You could only do 1 Carpenteri in a 400 litre tank (over here that’s a 4’x2’x2’). The difference between them is the filaments, mccoskeri only has one whereas Carpenteri has several.
additionally, can i mix multiple Paracheilinus ? in example some flavianalis

You could mix several DIFFERENT species however if you got all the same species they’d all turn male and your tank would be a blood bath.

If you did several paracheilinus species I’d max it at 3 as they swim a lot more than most wrasses we own do. You can also mix these with other genera as long as the other wrasses are peaceful. Peaceful is where you’re looking at the temperament of one wrasse specimen and not the whole species in itself as each specimen will behave differently.

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could only do 1 Carpenteri in a 400 litre tank (over here that’s a 4’x2’x2’).

so i can't make an harem? even a couple is not possible in 120cm*70*50h? (planning to increase next year)

why they all turns male? only one should turn male?

anyway, which wrasse do you suggest/would you put? i like a lot flavianalis (available to the local fish store) , but then?

Leopard wrasse+chrysus + other?

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i can't make an harem? even a couple is not possible in 120cm*70*50h? (planning to increase next year)

why they all turns male? only one should turn male?

anyway, which wrasse do you suggest/would you put? i like a lot flavianalis (available to the local fish store) , but then?

Leopard wrasse+chrysus + other?
They all turn male in the hobby as even in harems you have females, the “alpha” or “terminal” male and then many transitional males in the mix. Nobody has a large enough tank for a group of wrasses that large to my knowledge.

You can do several species of flasher so for example a Flavianalis, with a Cyaneus and a Mccoskeri. However if they’re the same species they will often fight it out to the death.

You can mix genera when it comes to wrasses it’s just aggression you need to watch out for. I have 4 Cirrhilabrus, 1 Paracheilinus, 2 Halichoeres and a Macropharyngodon spread over my two tanks (All of them will eventually make it into the same tank).

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could you please write the exact names you have?

on my list i have:

- Paracheilinus Flavianalis (the other are very very similiar, one is enough and i think this is the mosf beautiful)
- Halichoeres chrysus
- Macropharyngodon meleagris
- Macropharyngodon ornatus

are these ok?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could you please write the exact names you have?

on my list i have:

- Paracheilinus Flavianalis (the other are very very similiar, one is enough and i think this is the mosf beautiful)
- Halichoeres chrysus
- Macropharyngodon meleagris
- Macropharyngodon ornatus

are these ok?
In my 4’ tank I have;
- Halichoeres chloropterus or the Jade Wrasse
- Halichoeres iridis or the Radiant Wrasse
- Cirrhilabrus melanomarginatus or the Black Margin Fairy Wrasse
- Cirrhilabrus lubbocki or the Cebu Lubbock’s Fairy Wrasse
- Cirrhilabrus lubbocki or the Indo Lubbock’s Fairy Wrasse
- Paracheilinus species yet to be confirmed what it actually is

In my nano growing out I have;
- Cirrhilabrus naokoae or the Naokoae Fairy Wrasse
- Macropharyngodon bipartitus or the Blue Star Leopard Wrasse

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 4’ tank I have;
- Halichoeres chloropterus or the Jade Wrasse
- Halichoeres iridis or the Radiant Wrasse
- Cirrhilabrus melanomarginatus or the Black Margin Fairy Wrasse
- Cirrhilabrus lubbocki or the Cebu Lubbock’s Fairy Wrasse
- Cirrhilabrus lubbocki or the Indo Lubbock’s Fairy Wrasse
- Paracheilinus species yet to be confirmed what it actually is

In my nano growing out I have;
- Cirrhilabrus naokoae or the Naokoae Fairy Wrasse
- Macropharyngodon bipartitus or the Blue Star Leopard Wrasse

thank you.
mine are ok together (plus bipartitus, i had One but disappeared 2 months ago)
i'll also add one cirrhilabrus, don't know which one

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you.
mine are ok together?
i'll also add one cirrhilabrus, don't know which one
Your four are great - if you add a second Cirrhilabrus make sure it’s in a seperate complex to the current one and maybe on the other side of the chart (I haven’t seen a difference in behaviour between Cirrhilabrus that are close to eachother on the chart compared to further away complex species though).

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back