The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I need some help with wrasse compatibility!

I already have a very tiny 6 line and a pretty large clouded wrasse in a 90 gallon.

Looking to add a leopard, exquisite and blue side fairy.

Will they all work out?
Simple answer;
The Sixline will murder all of them. Not one of them (even if added in larger) will survive the six. Sixlines are known as the devil for a reason.

Hard answer;
They could work out depending on your rockscape, however the best bet is to remove the Sixline and the ‘Clouded Wrasse’ I have never heard of that common name however I believe you have Halichoeres margaritaceus or Nebulosus. Without a photo I cant say which you have 100% as both look very similar with minor differences as juveniles. Assuming you have a Margaritaceus you will also want to rehome him as these get 6” and can be nasty.

In short;
Your only real way to get away with the new introductions is rehoming the sixline, a photo of your ‘Clouded’ Wrasse will also help as you may have to rehome that specimen as well.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one is for @i cant think First glimpse of the pink streak in the 120. Starting to feel at home.

20230120_185640.jpg
I bet she’s a show stopper!
Now just to wait for my two to grow… I don’t have hopes on my 3rd being around still, I have only seen 2 of the three in the past week.
I may pick up another 2 in the near future just to have a small group again however I don’t know if I’d have room for a pair of Wetmorella as well.

I feel like I've joined the cool kid's club..
20230120_135119.jpg
20230120_135614.jpg
20230120_144301.jpg
20230120_173308.jpg
Your wrasse gang is stunning!
Is that a T. hardewicke in the mix too?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some photos of my big boys, my Chloropterus decided to dive into the sand a few minutes ago. I have yet to see his head pop out but I have seen the sand ‘jiggle’ around. Please excuse the bad photos, it’s been a short while since I last photographed some of these guys and they weren’t cooperating very well.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I need some help with wrasse compatibility!

I already have a very tiny 6 line and a pretty large clouded wrasse in a 90 gallon.

Looking to add a leopard, exquisite and blue side fairy.

Will they all work out?
I wouldn’t add anything with a six line no matter the size. It’s not of sixline will kill it’s when. Just give time

billy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi relatively new to the hobby.
I have a 75 gallon tank and recently got the panther wrasse seen in the pic.

is there a good compatibility chart in what wrasses I can / cannot add with him?

i heard certain wrasses can not be in the same tank but others can be and don’t want to accidentally get 2 that won’t get a long.

Attachments

• 7464DE83-031B-4B97-A376-0ED46C6B0C38.jpeg
    7464DE83-031B-4B97-A376-0ED46C6B0C38.jpeg
    131.1 KB · Views: 37

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

is there a good compatibility chart in what wrasses I can / cannot add with him?

i heard certain wrasses can not be in the same tank but others can be and don’t want to accidentally get 2 that won’t get a long.
That is a female commonly known as a blue star leopard wrasse or macropharyngodon bipartitus.
Here's a good article.
But basics is all Anampses, most Parachelinus, less than 6" Halichoeres, female Macropharyngodon, Wetmorella, and Pseudocheilinops do well together. Also a good amount of Cirrhilabrus though they have a great chart. Pseudocheilinus however do not get along with other wrasse.

billy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Leopard not panther…my bad

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here’s the easiest way we can tell you what wrasses are compatible with her (you have a female Macropharyngodon, by the looks of it it could be a Marisrubri but for the 100% ID we’d need a better photo).
If you take a look through these genera then pick your favourites, I believe I speak for everyone here when I say we love sorting through and helping you with your wrasse gang.
So, you’re likely wondering what 6 genera I’m on about, here you go;
Anampses*+
Macropharyngodon*
Pseudojuloides*
Halichoeres
Cirrhilabrus
Paracheilinus+

If there is a genus with +, that means they generally need a 4’ tank for the majority if not all species in that genus. Now, the * on the top three means they will need slightly more experience however since you have a Macropharyngodon species (possibly Marisrubri but also could be Bipartitus) already, you should know some of the difficulties with these genera. Those are;
- Feeding
- Internal Parasites
- Mouth Damage (This should also be looked for in Halichoeres and other sand sleeping species)

Last edited:

billy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a female commonly known as a blue star leopard wrasse or macropharyngodon bipartitus.
Here's a good article.
But basics is all Anampses, most Parachelinus, less than 6" Halichoeres, female Macropharyngodon, Wetmorella, and Pseudocheilinops do well together. Also a good amount of Cirrhilabrus though they have a great chart. Pseudocheilinus however do not get along with other wrasse.
Thanks! This was very helpful

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chart is neat but doesn’t mean it will work and every rule can be broken. Also show me one person that had a flame that wasnt a jerk lol
This. No rule is 100%… I mean, I’ve broken it more than twice!
Here’s all of the Fairies I’ve owned personally - I’ve cared for more than just 4 but I don’t really class working in an LFS as actually owning them. Yes, all of them have been in the same tank for a certain amount of time, I didn’t have the Naokoae in with the Melanomarginatus for long as I lost the Melanomarginatus around July/August (just after introducing the naokoae).
1674309642246.jpeg

C. naokoae - Rubriventralis Complex
588E481E-93E1-4192-8D1D-F005670BCFC2.jpeg

C. lubbocki (Indo) - Lubbocki Complex
3A950DF0-C75D-414E-A284-0AFC199B86EA.jpeg

C. lubbocki (Cebu) - Lubbocki Complex
23EA976E-6ABB-4F2E-83FD-A97D7E4A4852.jpeg

C. melanomarginatus - Scottorum Complex

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally caught a picture of Lubbock's Fairy Wrasse. He’s been camera shy, pintail not so much
0CC5846D-5CFD-4760-B3F5-C81243F4D604.jpeg
I have to say my Indo lubbocki is the favourite of my two variants… Just don’t tell the Cebu that ;)
Yours is beautiful and does show the true beauty in the Indo Lubbocki unlike mine which has scrapes on his side.

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Your wrasse gang is stunning!
Is that a T. hardewicke in the mix too?
it is! I'm keeping a good eye on it though. If it starts getting aggressive, it's going back.
They had several others I was considering as well as some that definitely wouldn't work in my tank.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here’s the easiest way we can tell you what wrasses are compatible with her (you have a female Macropharyngodon, by the looks of it it could be a Marisrubri but for the 100% ID we’d need a better photo).
If you take a look through these genera then pick your favourites, I believe I speak for everyone here when I say we love sorting through and helping you with your wrasse gang.
So, you’re likely wondering what 6 genera I’m on about, here you go;
Anampses*+
Macropharyngodon*
Pseudojuloides*
Halichoeres
Cirrhilabrus
Paracheilinus+

If there is a genus with +, that means they generally need a 4’ tank for the majority if not all species in that genus. Now, the * on the top three means they will need slightly more experience however since you have a Macropharyngodon species (possibly Marisrubri but also could be Bipartitus) already, you should know some of the difficulties with these genera. Those are;
- Feeding
- Internal Parasites
- Mouth Damage (This should also be looked for in Halichoeres and other sand sleeping species)
@i cant think is a REALLY great and knowledge guy, but I got to disagree with him here. While M. marisrubri is different from M. bipartus in a minor way which result in a more beautiful fish. There is no way one can tell between the two from the picture provided. Bipartus is much more common and cost a bit less, at least around here. The average LFS will not even know that there is the different between the two and just call Marisrubri as Red Sea Star Leopard and call it a day. If that wrasse bites your wallet and cause a sting to you then I would guess it is a Marisrubri otherwise 95+% chance that it is a Bipartus.

About your question, these guys are likely the most aggressive of the Leopard wrasses (Macropharygodon genus) They need a fine sand bed to sleep in or else it will not live for long. Females are OK but once she changes into a male, he likely, in a 75 gal tank, will not tolerate any male Leopard, and likely any other species of Leopard male or female. He will harass his female, but normally it is tolerable and will not cause much problem. Adequate food availability and low stocking level will help with the aggressive interaction between them a lot.

If I am you, I would add another Bipartus, if you want a pair or else just don't add any additional Leopard wrasse. Choose another appropriate Genus of wrasse to add. Be deliberate in adding your fishes. ID them first then research before adding them. Many years ago, I aways have a copy of Scott Michael: Reef Aquarium Fishes 500+ Essential-to-Know Species with me when I go to the LFS. This was before we start to have cell phone and widespread internet connection. But you get the idea. Just know what you buy, don't get it on impulses.

One last thing, DON'T add small beautiful Six-Line wrasse (Pseudocheilinus hexataenia) or other fish of this Genus in your tank. It will cost you if you don't follow this advice.

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@i cant think is a REALLY great and knowledge guy, but I got to disagree with him here. While M. marisrubri is different from M. bipartus in a minor way which result ina more beautiful fish. There is no way one can tell between the two from the picture provided. Bipartus is much more common and cost a bit less, at least around here. The average LFS will not even know that there is the different between the two and just call Marisrubri as Red Sea Start Leopard and call it a day. If that wrasse bites your wallet and cause a sting to you then I would guess it is a Marisrubri otherwise 95+% chance that it is a Bipartus.

About your question, these guys are likely the most aggressive of the Leopard wrasses (Macropharygodon genus) They need a fine sand bed to sleep in or else it will not live for long. Females are OK but once she changes into a male, he likely, in a 75 gal tank, will not tolerate any male Leopard, and likely any other species of Leopard male or female. He will harass his female, but normally it is tolerable and will not cause much problem. Adequate food availability and low stocking level will help with the aggressive interaction between them a lot.

If I am you, I would add another Bipartus, if you want a pair or else just don't add any additional Leopard wrasse. Choose another appropriate Genus of wrasse to add. Be deliberate in adding your fishes. ID them first then research before adding them. Many years ago, I aways have a copy of Scott Michael: Reef Aquarium Fishes 500+ Essential-to-Know Species with me when I go to the LFS. This was before we start to have cell phone and widespread internet connection. But you get the idea. Just know what you buy, don't get it on impulses.

One last thing, DON'T add small beautiful Six-Line wrasse (Pseudocheilinus hexataenia) or other fish of this Genus in your tank. It will cost you if you don't follow this advice.
I know it’s incredibly minor however through IDing Marisrubri from Bipartitus I’ve noticed something with their head.
Bipartitus’ facial markings stops just before the dorsal starts whilst Marisrubri’s facial markings stops where the dorsal starts. Here’s two side by side;
BF1EA148-BD34-415A-9C64-0B51D473005D.jpeg

M. marisrubri.
D39F272C-8007-451D-96D3-71116D25B968.jpeg

M. bipartitus

Look closely at the facial spots, they stop in different areas. And then look at the OP’s leopard, the facial markings appear to stop at the Dorsal’s start and the dorsal fin seems to stop just past the caudal area.

Again, I know it’s really minimal areas but look at any Marisrubri - @Slocke has one, and then look at my Bipartitus and tell me you don’t see that difference.
ACE06B0E-B87C-4D1C-AD25-6FF3F30B1F88.jpeg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@i cant think,
I know that the patterns of the fish, of Leopard wrasses, can change with size, health and age. I don't have enough experiences with these two species to know how to tell one from the other on the facial marking patterns. The surefire observation is the size and length, height of the fins to me. You got to look at a lot of fishes working in the industry in the past (plus personal expriences and research). I only observer my fishes and fishes that I see at LFSs, and reading, research when I am interested in some species. I don't have the knowledge from seeing the fish first hand like you.
Regarding the pattern and coloration of this specimen, I can see the differences, but I am not sure that we can use these to ID the fish.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 27.4%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 76 48.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back