The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Brucealmighty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new baby, Lyretail flasher wrasse aka carpenter wrasse and sorry not a Leopard, although I have seen one in my lfs and I am very tempted :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Attachments

• IMG_20220724_150712.jpg
    IMG_20220724_150712.jpg
    564.7 KB · Views: 31
  • Videoframe_20220724_150034_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg
    Videoframe_20220724_150034_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20220724_144230.jpg
    IMG_20220724_144230.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 27

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new baby, Lyretail flasher wrasse aka carpenter wrasse and sorry not a Leopard, although I have seen one in my lfs and I am very tempted :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Flashers are stunning, although they bring a huge mystery if you can’t ID them.

AZReef13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I was wondering what the thoughts are on mixing 2 Pink-Streaked Wrasses, I currently have one in my 425XL, Was just checking with those that can give pro or cons about this..... Thanks for the feed back

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I was wondering what the thoughts are on mixing 2 Pink-Streaked Wrasses, I currently have one in my 425XL, Was just checking with those that can give pro or cons about this..... Thanks for the feed back
At the size that they come in, it’ll be a nightmare to even try get one established to the tank without giving too much stress.
If you get passed the stress stage then you’ll most likely get stuck with the same gender in the long run which can potentially result in a blood bath.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the size that they come in, it’ll be a nightmare to even try get one established to the tank without giving too much stress.
If you get passed the stress stage then you’ll most likely get stuck with the same gender in the long run which can potentially result in a blood bath.
I agree that 2 in an 88 gallon would not be a good idea. Only need one as it is a unique fish.

What do you mean by a nightmare getting it established? Large tank? Other fish? Transport issues? I find that mine is quite hardy and ignores other fish like tiles do. To other fish it is like the fly you can never swat. Easily evades other fish by darting into the rockwork and is instantly back out. Mine does fine living with a H. crysus, hooded flame, pygmy angel. I would worry if it was in the same tank as a 6-line or mystery though. Maybe I got lucky with a healthy specimen from TSM?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that 2 in an 88 gallon would not be a good idea. Only need one as it is a unique fish.

What do you mean by a nightmare getting it established? Large tank? Other fish? Transport issues? I find that mine is quite hardy and ignores other fish like tiles do. To other fish it is like the fly you can never swat. Easily evades other fish by darting into the rockwork and is instantly back out. Mine does fine living with a H. crysus, hooded flame, pygmy angel. I would worry if it was in the same tank as a 6-line or mystery though. Maybe I got lucky with a healthy specimen from TSM?
The main issue is getting them established and transport issues. I find if added to a tank with a few active fish already then it could be a bad idea ontop of any shipping stresses. I have tried 2 of these wrasses and only one has ever made it alive in my tank long term unfortunately.

If I don’t go for a goby as my last fish then I may wait for a wetmorella or try a third Pseudocheilinops ataenia.

Ritchie G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking for a great looking red colored fish for my 50 Gal FOWLR tank. Would a Blue Flasher Wrasse be the choice? The fish already in the tank are:

Midas Blenny
Yellow Watchman Goby with Tiger Shrimp
Green Chromis
Royal Gramma
Coral Beauty
Cleaner Shrimp

Thanks

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking for a great looking red colored fish for my 50 Gal FOWLR tank. Would a Blue Flasher Wrasse be the choice? The fish already in the tank are:

Midas Blenny
Yellow Watchman Goby with Tiger Shrimp
Green Chromis
Royal Gramma
Coral Beauty
Cleaner Shrimp

Thanks
Unfortunately I wouldn’t put any flasher in a tank less than 4’ - The larger guys I wouldn’t put in a tank less than 6’. Maybe the Naoko Fairy Wrasse or one from the Rubriventralis complex may be better?
The one on the far left of this photo is my Cirrhilabrus naokoae.
6D466B87-53E5-4FBA-B3E2-1A42ABCEEB52.jpeg

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main issue is getting them established and transport issues. I find if added to a tank with a few active fish already then it could be a bad idea ontop of any shipping stresses. I have tried 2 of these wrasses and only one has ever made it alive in my tank long term unfortunately.

If I don’t go for a goby as my last fish then I may wait for a wetmorella or try a third Pseudocheilinops ataenia.
I think acquiring the wrasse from TSM where it is quarantined/observed for at least 30 days makes a big difference. They also happen to have them on sale now:)

Ritchie G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I wouldn’t put any flasher in a tank less than 4’ - The larger guys I wouldn’t put in a tank less than 6’. Maybe the Naoko Fairy Wrasse or one from the Rubriventralis complex may be better?
The one on the far left of this photo is my Cirrhilabrus naokoae.
6D466B87-53E5-4FBA-B3E2-1A42ABCEEB52.jpeg
Thank you for the reply. I would not want to get a fish that would not thrive in the tank. I will look into those you suggested. I appreciate it.

added: I looked up and decided on the Cirrhilabrus rubriventralis (Social or Longfin Fairy Wrasse) I think that would be perfect.

Last edited:

EqualityAlwaysWins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Wrasse lovers, I need help: Will the pinked streaked wrasse I've ordered eat brown tiny flatworms on my euphyllia and glass? They look like they have two horns and arent very long or snake like.

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Wrasse lovers, I need help: Will the pinked streaked wrasse I've ordered eat brown tiny flatworms on my euphyllia and glass? They look like they have two horns and arent very long or snake like.
They might, however it’s not 100%. The pink streak may eat the young ones but most likely won’t eat the larger ones if they’re too big.

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sup fellow wrasse lovers?
I’m sure it’s been spoke about but,
I want to know, what are your wrasses favorite foods? Aside from live foods

I have a six line that I absolutely love, but can be quite a bully, especially to new additions.

move read a lot of times aggression comes from them being underfed.

I do notice he barely goes for any of the foods I put in the tank.

I feed a homemade blend of mussel,krill,squid,mysis,nori and a bunch of other stuff I can’t remember now. Everyone chows down the six line not as much.

Definitely not into pellets and flakes, I’ve tried those.

anything else I can try besides live foods?

really don’t want to pull this little guy

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sup fellow wrasse lovers?
I’m sure it’s been spoke about but,
I want to know, what are your wrasses favorite foods? Aside from live foods

I have a six line that I absolutely love, but can be quite a bully, especially to new additions.

move read a lot of times aggression comes from them being underfed.

I do notice he barely goes for any of the foods I put in the tank.

I feed a homemade blend of mussel,krill,squid,mysis,nori and a bunch of other stuff I can’t remember now. Everyone chows down the six line not as much.

Definitely not into pellets and flakes, I’ve tried those.

anything else I can try besides live foods?

really don’t want to pull this little guy
Mine absolutely adore Mysis, Brine and even Nori. You can always try phytoplankton and other live foods such as live mysis/brine, pods ect…

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine absolutely adore Mysis, Brine and even Nori. You can always try phytoplankton and other live foods such as live mysis/brine, pods ect…
Oh I’m sure he’d love the live foods but I’m not gonna go out of my way to reward a bully lol. But I do plan on adding phyto / pods in the future

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I’m sure he’d love the live foods but I’m not gonna go out of my way to reward a bully lol. But I do plan on adding phyto / pods in the future
Just by feeding frozen, isn’t that rewarding him? I mean in the wild, they are opportunistic and never know when their next meal is. Every day you’re feeding frozen (which isn’t a bad thing) and surely that’s rewarding him in the same way?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back