The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

nbooks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wife stopped me from bringing home a Naoko's yesterday...she doesnt like the colors, but it was first time i saw one in person and i think they are very pretty.

finally got a melanurus at least..now just worrying if he's buried in the corner of sand i gave him...or jumped from qt

was hoping for a flasher but, the 2 there had some fin damage and were tiny.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wife stopped me from bringing home a Naoko's yesterday...she doesnt like the colors, but it was first time i saw one in person and i think they are very pretty.

finally got a melanurus at least..now just worrying if he's buried in the corner of sand i gave him...or jumped from qt

was hoping for a flasher but, the 2 there had some fin damage and were tiny.
When you come across a radiant, ask her if she likes the colours haha.

Man, these fish are one of a kind in person and there is truly nothing like it! My favourite colour combo is the yellow, red, black and white and I’m now seeing my tank proves that. I have 4 different animals that have those colours, Magnificent Foxface, Radiant Wrasse, Naokos Fairy Wrasse and a Skunk Cleaner.
Also, if you think the colours are beautiful when they aren’t in display, I recommend trying to find a video of one displaying its full potential. They’re stunning to watch in action.

As for the flasher, don’t jump on the first one you see. Wait until you find the perfect one, that’s what I did and I have now found out it’s possibly a three way hybrid after seeing it in action.

nbooks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you come across a radiant, ask her if she likes the colours haha
i was pretty suprised when we turned a corner and they had a super male red margin, now that was a pretty fish (and wife approved lol). luckily we already added that to the list prior.

the shop we use has really started to carry an even better selection that they used to, which is def nice.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was pretty suprised when we turned a corner and they had a super male red margin, now that was a pretty fish (and wife approved lol). luckily we already added that to the list prior.

the shop we use has really started to carry an even better selection that they used to, which is def nice.
Dang, the best supermale I’ve ever seen was a true Australian Scotts. The guy who picked it up also picked up a Male Lineatus. Unfortunately that £300 Aussie Scotts was murdered by the Lineatus within a few minutes.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse Spam!
BAA18F6C-BABC-4E9A-9CD7-CD36CC5AF8CA.jpeg

E08F54BA-419B-4EE2-A66B-6A596DDAA72D.jpeg

36443CD6-F7D7-47BB-8C1D-5956B17830CC.jpeg

848A34A0-2729-4041-B3DA-51FD3D6BEFF2.jpeg

2C2E09FC-0888-4E68-9E42-0AD78571D054.jpeg

DC46C0E8-58B6-42FE-9B0E-79AB5F258EB6.jpeg

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t recommend trying a blenny but a small enough goby could work.
Just remember to be ready to split the two up at any moment.
I'm the total opposite, lol. I think the right blenny can stick it to the sixline. Goby's are too into the apollo space program for my taste, especially with a possibly cuckoo sixline.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm the total opposite, lol. I think the right blenny can stick it to the sixline. Goby's are too into the apollo space program for my taste, especially with a possibly cuckoo sixline.
That’s true, now that I think about it my blenny may have gone cuckoo at my Naoko in the nano.
I’d recommend an Escenius lineatus if you don’t plant for SPS like Acros as that’s what I’ve got and he ignored any other SPS except Acropora species.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s true, now that I think about it my blenny may have gone cuckoo at my Naoko in the nano.
I’d recommend an Escenius lineatus if you don’t plant for SPS like Acros as that’s what I’ve got and he ignored any other SPS except Acropora species.
What flavor blenny did you have in the nano?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What flavor blenny did you have in the nano?
E. lineatus… This guy. Now rehomed to the 4’.
48AB4F48-4CB9-4755-B894-3C0ED636901B.jpeg

Here is his victim when the victim was at his worst. This guy is also in the 4’ as the photos above show. The reason for his move was due to the wound potentially getting infected in my nano with the higher temperatures and salinity going slightly higher.
51725FE1-9E9B-4B00-AE70-29D06A18CA0A.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crazy, I considered the linear blennies to be a bit more chill. Don't they nip at corals?
Mine absolutely loved to nip my Acropora but avoided other SPS like Montis and the Stylo.

Sonatine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang this thread makes me want a bigger tank. My favorite LFS has a display tank with a beautiful rhomboid wrasse. They also just got one for sale, as well as a leopard wrasse, which might have been one of the most beautiful fish I've seen in person, even in a fish store sale tank. I kept forgetting what I went there to buy, since I got distracted by watching the wrasse. I guess it's something to work towards!

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really sad day today. My absolutely stunning large supermale pinstripe wrasse passed away last night. Had been eating like a pig, happy as can be for as as long as I've had him (many months now) but after a normal happy weekend from him, yesterday he was pent up in his cave even with food out, and today I found his body in that same spot. Almost certainly natural because of old age, no aggression, healthy signs all around, etc., but regardless, he's passed on. It's been a hard day, I loved that fish to death and he was the star of my tank, but it's part of the hobby in some ways.

Trying to help distract myself from the loss by thinking about a replacement for him. Tank is a 65 display with ample rockwork, and the only other wrasse is a blue star leopard wrasse. Despite being devastated with this loss today, hopefully whatever follows will bring its own kind of joy in the future. Thanks in advance everyone <3

AZReef13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a big debate in my mind which wrasses I should add, debating Splendid Pintail, Mystery wrasse, Black Leopard, Golden Rhomboidalis, Ruby Longfin...... I have 425XL. with A blue Star Leopard, Pink-streaked. In tank currently, Blue Tang, Randall's Assessor, 3 Yasha gobies. Leaning Splendid, Rhomboidalis. and then black leapord

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a big debate in my mind which wrasses I should add, debating Splendid Pintail, Mystery wrasse, Black Leopard, Golden Rhomboidalis, Ruby Longfin...... I have 425XL. with A blue Star Leopard, Pink-streaked. In tank currently, Blue Tang, Randall's Assessor, 3 Yasha gobies. Leaning Splendid, Rhomboidalis. and then black leapord
That group of three looks good. Just don't get a mystery. It will beat up on the others. Had to rehome mine.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back