The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These can move 3-5lbs rocks as they age.
I wouldn’t say they become a grey lump as they mature - I find them to be quite pretty still but that’s me saying this when I also have a wrasse that many find ugly once it matures. CUC is often on the menu - Cleaner shrimp usually get avoided due to their big role.
Personality wise, they do have a personality that is fun to watch… if you don’t mind watching a wrasse destroying your rock scape that is.
I ended up going with a Midas blenny and green mandarin. Website has everything 25% off so got those 2 fish, tuxedo urchin and RFA for $113 shipped :)

dragon wrasse will be a future endeavor.. they are cool fishes but man I would despise my rockwork being moved around lol

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up going with a Midas blenny and green mandarin. Website has everything 25% off so got those 2 fish, tuxedo urchin and RFA for $113 shipped :)

dragon wrasse will be a future endeavor.. they are cool fishes but man I would despise my rockwork being moved around lol
Good call, honestly I feel a dragon wrasse gets too large for a 90 gallon anyways.

That is the perfect size tank for a lot of other much more reef safe wrasses though! Check out the smaller Halichoeres like the radiant, timor, and yellow coris, or the leopards, fairies, and flashers. Wetmorella spp. and Pseudocheilinops ataenia would also look nice in there, even if they are a little more shy.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the tank I put the torpedo wrasse in has a lot of cyano right now because of the cheap freshwater lighting and lower flow, but the torpedo is out and about. The nip in the fin is healing nicely, happened at the LFS a few weeks ago.

20220924_133112.jpg
20220924_133141.jpg
20220924_133146.jpg
20220924_133149.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good call, honestly I feel a dragon wrasse gets too large for a 90 gallon anyways.

That is the perfect size tank for a lot of other much more reef safe wrasses though! Check out the smaller Halichoeres like the radiant, timor, and yellow coris, or the leopards, fairies, and flashers. Wetmorella spp. and Pseudocheilinops ataenia would also look nice in there, even if they are a little more shy.
Honestly, Wetmorella and Pseudocheilinops species are too shy - I mean, I lose track of all three of my pink streaks in just a 3’ tank. I used to lose my wetmorella in a 2’ long tank. They’re best kept in small groups or pairs in the medium tanks.
Definitely agree with the other mentions though.

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a Choati from ATR. I couldn’t be happier with them.

I would highly recommend ATR. I purchased a Choati from @Eric Cohen a month or so ago, and it’s still doing great. I was 0 for 2 before this guy. Also, Eric has great customer service.
Thanks! Glad it’s doing well for you! I have around 7-8 pcs left that I just put on special if you or anyone is looking for a great deal. They are months old now in my care so really strong! Take advantage!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Glad it’s doing well for you! I have around 7-8 pcs left that I just put on special if you or anyone is looking for a great deal. They are months old now in my care so really strong! Take advantage!
I wish I was in the US now… it’s so hard to come across a choati let alone healthy ones on this side of the pond.

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a melanarus and a leopard, patiently waiting on a yellow coris to become available and that is when I saw the dragon wrasse. Of course I didn’t realize until after the bit of googling about its size when it matures and rock/coral flipping habits. The wrasse are such fun fish. The leopard is probably going to be my favorite for awhile

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dream wrasse for sure!

If I didn't just purchase the partner member here yesterday, a chaoti would be getting mailed to me tomorrow.

Nice to know you have had them for a while, and they are hardy. In a couple weeks if you still have one, I will definitely be ordering one.

it would round out my leopard collection quite well.

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dream wrasse for sure!

If I didn't just purchase the partner member here yesterday, a chaoti would be getting mailed to me tomorrow.

Nice to know you have had them for a while, and they are hardy. In a couple weeks if you still have one, I will definitely be ordering one.

it would round out my leopard collection quite well.
Minus 3 from our stock as had a customer work me over the coals for a trio yesterday! Lol. I hope we still have one for you!

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I posted a fish stocking thread last night and I’ve gotten a lot of feedback. Someone mentioned I should talk with the people of The Wrasse Lover’s Thread, so here I am. I have some wrasses I have in mind that I want to keep, but idk how well they will all do together. The tank is 4’, and 91 gallons. Hope you guys can help me out a little.

So in mind I have these:

Halichoeres melasmapomus - (Earmuff Wrasse)
Halichoeres chrysus - (Yellow Coris Wrasse)
Paracheilinus attenautus - (Diamond Tail Flasher Wrasse)
Cirrhilabrus naokoae - (Naoko Fairy Wrasse)
Cirrhilabrus rhomboidalis - (Golden Rhomboid Wrasse -supermale-)
Macropharyngodon meleagris - (Leopard Wrasse -female-)

That was my original wrasse plan. Now after some suggestions regarding the wrasses and a little more thinking, I’ve cut the Halichoeres crysus, and thinking of cutting the Macropharyngodon meleagris. What do you guys think? Tips? Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you :grinning-face: (I know the Halichoeres and the Macropharyngodon like to burrow in the sand to sleep, is this enough sand?:
1664295079854.jpeg

This is the sand around parts of the tank, (3“or 4”) with some areas with less, being 2” to around 5” or 6”).

If you would like to know what tank mates I am planning on adding to the tank with the wrasse, and if anyone wants to help out even more by commenting some thoughts and ideas to my fish stocking thread, feel free to check it out here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/is-this-too-much-fish-stocking.938494/

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I posted a fish stocking thread last night and I’ve gotten a lot of feedback. Someone mentioned I should talk with the people of The Wrasse Lover’s Thread, so here I am. I have some wrasses I have in mind that I want to keep, but idk how well they will all do together. The tank is 4’, and 91 gallons. Hope you guys can help me out a little.

So in mind I have these:

That was my original wrasse plan. Now after some suggestions regarding the wrasses and a little more thinking, I’ve cut the Halichoeres crysus, and thinking of cutting the Macropharyngodon meleagris. What do you guys think? Tips? Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you :grinning-face: (I know the Halichoeres and the Macropharyngodon like to burrow in the sand to sleep, is this enough sand?:
1664295079854.jpeg

This is the sand around parts of the tank, (3“or 4”) with some areas with less, being 2” to around 5” or 6”).

If you would like to know what tank mates I am planning on adding to the tank with the wrasse, and if anyone wants to help out even more by commenting some thoughts and ideas to my fish stocking thread, feel free to check it out here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/is-this-too-much-fish-stocking.938494/
Sand looks good. Buy conditioned fish, especially wrasses that need to be dewormed. Check out my two websites. :)

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand looks good. Buy conditioned fish, especially wrasses that need to be dewormed. Check out my two websites. :)
Are these “ YOUR” websites? Like the founder of them? Cause I love amongthereef :grinning-face:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So in mind I have these:

1664295079854.jpeg

To me the sand is just fine for wrasses, I don’t know if you already said why however any particular reason you plan on dropping the chrysus and meleagris?
I assume the meleagris is due to the pod population.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me the sand is just fine for wrasses, I don’t know if you already said why however any particular reason you plan on dropping the chrysus and meleagris?
I assume the meleagris is due to the pod population.
So I planned on keeping the two Halichoeres, but to give the fish more space, and limit the Earmuff’s aggression I decided to cut it. I’m still very skeptical on the leopard wrasse which is why I don’t have a firm decision

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these “ YOUR” websites? Like the founder of them? Cause I love amongthereef :grinning-face:
I’m the founder of Tankstop but not the founder of ATR although they are my two websites:). I’m also the founder of Sea Dwelling Creatures and Blue Life USA. This is my jam:)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I planned on keeping the two Halichoeres, but to give the fish more space, and limit the Earmuff’s aggression I decided to cut it. I’m still very skeptical on the leopard wrasse which is why I don’t have a firm decision
Honestly, I find the chrysus to be overrated anyway… I swear my tank has fish I just dislike many other fish.
With the leopard, I would keep one on the list and just remove it from the list if you find that there isn’t enough room.

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I find the chrysus to be overrated anyway… I swear my tank has fish I just dislike many other fish.
With the leopard, I would keep one on the list and just remove it from the list if you find that there isn’t enough room.
I still have a few super well conditioned choati wrasse. Maybe toss that in the thought process.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still have a few super well conditioned choati wrasse. Maybe toss that in the thought process.
Quit teasing me!

You, and I can thank Rev for making me buy into this years partner member drive. Otherwise one of those chaoti's would be at my house by now.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m the founder of Tankstop but not the founder of ATR although they are my two websites:). I’m also the founder of Sea Dwelling Creatures and Blue Life USA. This is my jam:)
Well it’s a pleasure to talk to you then lol. Sea Dwelling Creatures huh? Didn’t you work with the ATM crew from Tanked when they would come to your shop?

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:face-without-mouth: You know I’m trying to lower the amount of fish I want in my list right? :disappointed-face: I have another fish to think about now :pleading-face::beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes::grinning-squinting-face:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 32.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 17 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back