The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing! I have one coming after Christmas. This seems to be a wrasse that does well for several months then just dies (perhaps bc of too high of tank temp?). I have my tank set at 75 too I'm hopeful we'll have better luck. I'll be sure to follow your build thread for updates.

They're gorgeous, excited to hear you will be getting one as well. I'll keep my build updated with his progress. This is my first wrasse from this genus, so I figured for better or worse, maybe the process or experience would be helpful to someone.

This was different than my normal process as the fish basically came from the airport to my tank and also since I decided to use the box. In this case, I found the acclimation box helpful to get him feeding. As would be expected, this helped manage the competition for food and the stress in getting him adjusted to the system. Helpful particularly since I have so many other wrasse and active swimmers in the system. The stress management helped adjust to the lighting schedule as well I suspect.

I saw him hanging around the automatic feeder this morning. I use the plank and feed freeze-dried mysis five times a day in addition to frozen. If he starts eating there, I'll be pretty excited.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we all know I'm into leopards.....

So my top 5 wrasses are all the leopards.

Negrosensis
Ornate
melagris
kuiters
chaoti

EDIT:
I've only ever not kept one of them, and thats simply because I can't justify the price for a fish. If you know anything about wrasses, you know the most expensive one on the list.

Last edited:

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're gorgeous, excited to hear you will be getting one as well. I'll keep my build updated with his progress. This is my first wrasse from this genus, so I figured for better or worse, maybe the process or experience would be helpful to someone.

This was different than my normal process as the fish basically came from the airport to my tank and also since I decided to use the box. In this case, I found the acclimation box helpful to get him feeding. As would be expected, this helped manage the competition for food and the stress in getting him adjusted to the system. Helpful particularly since I have so many other wrasse and active swimmers in the system. The stress management helped adjust to the lighting schedule as well I suspect.

I saw him hanging around the automatic feeder this morning. I use the plank and feed freeze-dried mysis five times a day in addition to frozen. If he starts eating there, I'll be pretty excited.
Great job getting yours acclimated. I'll use the same technique that you did. That's awesome that she already knows where the food comes from sounds like she's settling in nicely.

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Compatability question! We're needing to get some more wrasses since our PBT scared everyone into jumping out (of which has been sold off).

We currently only have a Mellanaurus.

Looking at adding the following to our 125 mixed reef:
Leopard (PBT killed our first one)
Pin-tail fairy
Lubbocks fairy
Royal Flasher

Thanks!

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Compatability question! We're needing to get some more wrasses since our PBT scared everyone into jumping out (of which has been sold off).

We currently only have a Mellanaurus.

Looking at adding the following to our 125 mixed reef:
Leopard (PBT killed our first one)
Pin-tail fairy
Lubbocks fairy
Royal Flasher

Thanks!
All of those are compatible with a melanurus, but I recommend adding your new wrasses in multiples. Adding a single wrasse in with an established melanurus could cause him to give the new guy trouble. You mentioned that your other wrasses jumped, do you have a lid on your tank now? If not, fairy and flasher wrasses are prolific jumpers it's very risky to keep them in an open tank I recommend getting a lid before adding those.

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of those are compatible with a melanurus, but I recommend adding your new wrasses in multiples. Adding a single wrasse in with an established melanurus could cause him to give the new guy trouble. You mentioned that your other wrasses jumped, do you have a lid on your tank now? If not, fairy and flasher wrasses are prolific jumpers it's very risky to keep them in an open tank I recommend getting a lid before adding those.
We did plan on adding these all at the same time. Yes, we closed off every single hole when we lost our previous Lubbocks and Mccoskers Flasher. I loved those 2! They got out of a back little hole and found them on top of the glass :(

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read some mixed reviews on blue streak cleaner wrasses. Some people seem to love them, some people seem to believe they are an annoyance and would never have one again.

I’ve been thinking of getting one but am a bit torn now. What’s the consensus here? What do y’all think about blue streak cleaner wrasssz?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read some mixed reviews on blue streak cleaner wrasses. Some people seem to love them, some people seem to believe they are an annoyance and would never have one again.

I’ve been thinking of getting one but am a bit torn now. What’s the consensus here? What do y’all think about blue streak cleaner wrasssz?
My personal belief is that you either need a massive well stocked tank or a captive bred one raised on frozen food. Wild ones often only eat off other fish so I wouldn't get wild. My CB one is great.

Last edited:

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My personal belief is that you either need a massive well stocked tank or a captive bred one raised on frozen food. Wild ones often only eat off other fish so I wouldn't get wild. My CB one is great.
I’d be getting a wild from Dr Reef so it will be fully QT’d and, at least theoretically, “conditioned” to prepared foods. My ornate leopard and radiant came from him and both are champs at eating pellets, various frozen, etc.

Think that would be ok?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d be getting a wild from Dr Reef so it will be fully QT’d and, at least theoretically, “conditioned” to prepared foods. My ornate leopard and radiant came from him and both are champs at eating pellets, various frozen, etc.

Think that would be ok?
I'd guess you're getting something in the middle then. Some fish will be annoyed by it some won't and of course many will just get used to it. My midas is still annoyed by it and the fox gets nervous but nothing else cares.
IMG_2245.jpeg

I'm about to try Dr Reef. You seem to like them?

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd guess you're getting something in the middle then. Some fish will be annoyed by it some won't and of course many will just get used to it. My midas is still annoyed by it and the fox gets nervous but nothing else cares.
IMG_2245.jpeg

I'm about to try Dr Reef. You seem to like them?
Thanks! This is all helpful info to hear. And thanks for the great picture!!

Yes I’ve had some very good experiences with Dr Reef. Way back when he was getting bigger but still a solo operation he shipped me a melanurus wrasse instead of the ornate I ordered. Immediately made it right by shipping the correct fish and of course let me keep the melanurus. He’s still with me two years later.

For this new tank I’ve ordered several fish from Dr Reef. All but one looked amazing on arrival and immediately settled in and ate prepared foods. An exquisite wrasse died a few hours after arrivals. Dr Reef immediately replaced him within days with a gorgeous, healthy specimen.

I ordered a super male Lineatus from him. He got the fish and out him through a full 30-day QT. Then observed for two weeks during which he saw a little flashing. Emailed me and asked if he could keep the fish until he was certain the fish was healthy and pest-free. I’m getting that fish right after the holiday.

His communication has gotten much better (he hired help), prices are excellent, service is good and the fish I’ve gotten have been impressive.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! This is all helpful info to hear. And thanks for the great picture!!

Yes I’ve had some very good experiences with Dr Reef. Way back when he was getting bigger but still a solo operation he shipped me a melanurus wrasse instead of the ornate I ordered. Immediately made it right by shipping the correct fish and of course let me keep the melanurus. He’s still with me two years later.

For this new tank I’ve ordered several fish from Dr Reef. All but one looked amazing on arrival and immediately settled in and ate prepared foods. An exquisite wrasse died a few hours after arrivals. Dr Reef immediately replaced him within days with a gorgeous, healthy specimen.

I ordered a super male Lineatus from him. He got the fish and out him through a full 30-day QT. Then observed for two weeks during which he saw a little flashing. Emailed me and asked if he could keep the fish until he was certain the fish was healthy and pest-free. I’m getting that fish right after the holiday.

His communication has gotten much better (he hired help), prices are excellent, service is good and the fish I’ve gotten have been impressive.
Thanks! I feel a lot more confident in him now. Just have to figure out which wrasse I want. Too much choice!

AZReef13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up another splendid tail male terminal phase at LFS today, one settles down I will get some Pictures. My 2 Pinked streaks come out for feeding, not so much for the camera.

Last edited:

AZReef13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New addition, Anampses lennardi, wanted to share my early experience getting him acclimated to the system

1670460155004.png

I pre-ordered from the vendor. He basically went from the airport to the vendor, and since I believe he'd spent a fair amount of time in the bag, I decided to follow Biota's acclimation guide to basically temperature acclimate and add to the system. The salinity in the bag measured 34 ppt compared to my system's 35 ppt. System temp is 75-76.

I have a large acclimation box that is invaluable, but historically I don't use for sand dwelling wrasses. Not sure what others do. In this case, I decided to use the box and added about 1-1.5" of sand to one end. This added a fair bit of weight and I needed to employ a larger magnet.

1670460175158.png

Day 1, emerged from sand around noon, ate a few live black worms
Day 2, emerged around 11 am, eating live black worms, but no frozen
Day 3, Started eating frozen mysis, ocean plankton, and brine shrimp

1670460192664.png

Day 5, emerged with lights on around 8 am fully adjusted to light cycle. Released into system without incident. Immediately started picking at rocks
1670460108489.png

Wow what an amazing looking fish, I am pretty sure pictures don't do him justice.

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new Naoko finally came out, sort of. A week later and I see his head sometimes peering out from beneath a rock. Seems to have set up shop under sand/rock but I never see him roam the tank. At least I know he’s alive.

what’s the general habit with these things? I have had other wrasses in previous tanks and they were all a lot more social. I suppose he’ll probably feel safer in a couple more weeks.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new Naoko finally came out, sort of. A week later and I see his head sometimes peering out from beneath a rock. Seems to have set up shop under sand/rock but I never see him roam the tank. At least I know he’s alive.

what’s the general habit with these things? I have had other wrasses in previous tanks and they were all a lot more social. I suppose he’ll probably feel safer in a couple more weeks.
Naokoae is rather shy at first however once established and used to you they’ll be out.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a Red Sea from the fullness and length of the dorsal and anal fins. It is changing. The color patterns of Red Sea and Pacific Blue Stars are the same. Certainly that is not a Female or a full finish changing male.

The third picture above clearly show the dorsal and anal fins touch the tail. This is the distinction of the Red Sea Blur Star. The Pacific Blue Star have a gap there.
Beautiful fish. Good luck with him/her.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back