The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it holds 120 Gallons (Although we go by litres over here so it could be an incorrect transition).
Generally, gallons aren’t useful in fish keeping as fish usually care more about the length/width than they do the amount of water the tank holds.
I agree. I just thought your’s was a standard 75…my bad :frowning-face::face-with-tears-of-joy:

I looked it up and Salty and I have the Reefer 425. Here are the specs

1675438959575.png

1675439006524.png

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That matches my experience with tusks. They were mean, and I mean downright angry. One of them just killed indiscriminately, like he was doing it for sport. Such a cool fish, but I don’t know that I’ll ever own another.

I’ve heard some people have managed to find “model citizens.” Seems like maybe they had much better luck than I have!
What tusks exactly? All the other Tusks that aren’t Harlequins are aggressive IMO. Haven’t seen a bad Harlequin

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What tusks exactly? All the other Tusks that aren’t Harlequins are aggressive IMO. Haven’t seen a bad Harlequin

Both of mine were Harlequins (choerodon fasciatus). One was Indonesian, one Australian. My Australian was the more peaceful of the two.

Looking back, they were kept with predominantly peaceful fish, most being smaller than the tusks. Maybe I would’ve had better luck if they were kept with larger and moderately aggressive fish.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DT: 90.61 gallons = 343L (Don’t know why the .61 is important)
Whole System 114 Gallons = 433L
Ah you must have the G2 which is slightly bigger. I have the discontinued model.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You must be a wrasse whisperer.
I wish haha!
Instead I think my wrasses get along because they have the territory and a constantly replenished food source.
My wrasses only get one big feeding a day and then the rest of the day they’re scavenging the rocks naturally instead of constantly begging for more food :)

Well, my regal will beg for attention but all of my guys love the rockwork when it comes to their second food source.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both of mine were Harlequins (choerodon fasciatus). One was Indonesian, one Australian. My Australian was the more peaceful of the two.

Looking back, they were kept with predominantly peaceful fish, most being smaller than the tusks. Maybe I would’ve had better luck if they were kept with larger and moderately aggressive fish.
I’m looking to get a Aussie so hopefully he will be less likely to be aggressive. I have never encountered one that’s aggressive but I will keep this in mind.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish haha!
Instead I think my wrasses get along because they have the territory and a constantly replenished food source.
My wrasses only get one big feeding a day and then the rest of the day they’re scavenging the rocks naturally instead of constantly begging for more food :)

Well, my regal will beg for attention but all of my guys love the rockwork when it comes to their second food source.
That’s why I’m considering the Tusk. You haven’t seen the new scape yet, but there’s more hiding yet open spots than there was before. Because I feed the tank twice a day, and I’ll be meaning to feed the Tusk clams and shrimp, hopefully there won’t be, if there is minimal, aggression. At the end of the day if it doesn’t work out I’ll be getting the Regal. What do you think be best?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You suffer from trauma then my friend :squinting-face-with-tongue: All the Harlequins I have seen are so nice and don’t bug anyone.
All the ‘nice’ ones I see either have fish that are bossier than them (large Tangs such as A. achilles) or they’re in large tanks (Such as Orion’s 300+G tank).

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the ‘nice’ ones I see either have fish that are bossier than them (large Tangs such as A. achilles) or they’re in large tanks (Such as Orion’s 300+G tank).
I’ve seen them kept in pretty big tanks as well as more regular sized ones. They like to swim, but they seem to like to stick tho their own area, which is what I hope helps. My tank is definitely not his long term home.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s why I’m considering the Tusk. You haven’t seen the new scape yet, but there’s more hiding yet open spots than there was before. Because I feed the tank twice a day, and I’ll be meaning to feed the Tusk clams and shrimp, hopefully there won’t be, if there is minimal, aggression. At the end of the day if it doesn’t work out I’ll be getting the Regal. What do you think be best?
In an aggression view, the regal comes out ontop because they aren’t nasty but they aren’t shy when being bullied.
In colour view, regal comes out on top just because of the yellow (you all know my hate towards Yellow Tangs because of other yellow fish, this is why the regal comes out ontop - Purely because I know there are 1000s of better yellow fish like this guy that outcompete the yellow tang for looks).
Activity level, definitely the regal. The HT tends to be more active than Paracheilinus which we say shouldn’t be in a tank less than 4’ (I used to not believe this but after having the hybrid, I definitely agree with it). Regals just chill out and have a much more consistent pace of being calm when swimming.

So, the Regal isn’t just my favourite fish in the hobby for colours, they’re definitely my favourite for other things :)

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In an aggression view, the regal comes out ontop because they aren’t nasty but they aren’t shy when being bullied.
In colour view, regal comes out on top just because of the yellow (you all know my hate towards Yellow Tangs because of other yellow fish, this is why the regal comes out ontop - Purely because I know there are 1000s of better yellow fish like this guy that outcompete the yellow tang for looks).
Activity level, definitely the regal. The HT tends to be more active than Paracheilinus which we say shouldn’t be in a tank less than 4’ (I used to not believe this but after having the hybrid, I definitely agree with it). Regals just chill out and have a much more consistent pace of being calm when swimming.

So, the Regal isn’t just my favourite fish in the hobby for colours, they’re definitely my favourite for other things :)
Thats perfect info! :)

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Angel I had is I think the mix between waht the Regal and the Tusk would be. I’m going to be doing some more research j to their swimming patterns. Definitely the Regal is calmer, I mean it’s not a wrasse and wrasse are famous for swimming a lot.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats perfect info! :)
It’s interesting when you’re in an LFS because you see 100s of the same species of fish constantly and start getting to know certain fish for being something :)

I love the HT and get it would look beautiful in your tank but I think this is a fish you either wait until the very end to add or wait until you upgrade to add it.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s interesting when you’re in an LFS because you see 100s of the same species of fish constantly and start getting to know certain fish for being something :)

I love the HT and get it would look beautiful in your tank but I think this is a fish you either wait until the very end to add or wait until you upgrade to add it.
Funny enough I was told to add this guy as one of the first fish as they in their first days in a new environment are very prone to stress. That’s why I discarded the Tusk from my list because my angelfish would always check out new comers and if they decided to check his area he wouldn’t be happy. Now that I don’t have him, I was considering the Tusk. I think that if it doesn’t work out I’ll be adding him once I upgrade like you say.

I’m going to post some videos on the way the swim and behave through the rocks and at feeding.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish haha!

Ever since I started hand feeding mysis to the CBB I now have 14 beggers at the glass whenever I walk up to the tank

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever since I started hand feeding mysis to the CBB I now have 14 beggers at the glass whenever I walk up to the tank
Isn’t that a good thing? Lol I feed all my fish by hand.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back