The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m feeling a bit ballsy lol….my thread’s names says I’ll be lost in the wrasses so why should my center piece fish not be a wrasse? Saying that, my center piece fish would be a Regal Angelfish, but now, considering some things, how about a Harlequin Tusk? My favorite fish out there in the hobby! Yea I know they get big but just like the Regal they take soooo long for them to grow. Yea they massacre inverts but I can live with that. I’ve got plenty of rock while it’s still open, and 3 large caves. My upgrade will be soon a IM 200 EXT but that would be in a good bit. Thoughts? Not worried about it touching coral, while the Regal would be a, though small, a risk. Maybe there could be aggressiveness towards some of the smaller wrasse but supposedly Tusks are timid fish. It would be the biggest fish in there for sure. You all know the only fish in there that aren’t wrasse are a pair of clowns a blenny a hawk fish and some gobies. So I don’t see competition for food or much territory.

@SaltyT @homer1475 @Crabby48 @i cant think I need those knowledges pls lol. Aaron I’m torn between the Regal and the Harlequin.

Last edited:

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m feeling a bit ballsy lol….my thread’s names says I’ll be lost in the wrasses so why should my center piece fish not be a wrasse? Saying that, my center piece fish would be a Regal Angelfish, but now, considering some things, how about a Harlequin Tusk? My favorite fish out there in the hobby! Yea I know they get big but just like the Regal they take soooo long for them to grow. Yea they massacre inverts but I can live with that. I’ve got plenty of rock while it’s still open, and 3 large caves. My upgrade will be soon a IM 200 EXT but that would be in a good bit. Thoughts? Not worried about it touching coral, while the Regal would be a, though small, a risk. Maybe there could be aggressiveness towards some of the smaller wrasse but supposedly Tusks are timid fish. It would be the biggest fish in there for sure. You all know the only fish in there that aren’t wrasse are a pair of clowns a blenny a hawk fish and some gobies. So I don’t see competition for food or much territory.

@SaltyT @homer1475 @Crabby48 @i cant think I need those knowledges pls lol. Aaron I’m torn between the Regal and the Harlequin.
Tusk all the way! I don't keep big tanks anymore, but if I ever decide to go big again a tusk would be a must-have for me.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’ll vote tusk

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

To me, everyone and their brother keep harlequins. Go with a different tusk, like Choerodon anchorago or Choerodon jordani. Nothing saying you still can't put a regal either ;)

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me, everyone and their brother keep harlequins. Go with a different tusk, like Choerodon anchorago or Choerodon jordani. Nothing saying you still can't put a regal either ;)
I kinda want the Harlequin…like I said it’s my favorite fish but I appreciate the other suggestions.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kinda want the Harlequin…like I said it’s my favorite fish but I appreciate the other suggestions.
Fair enough! They're a gorgeous fish! I just wish the others in this genus got a little more attention, so I had to bring them up.

I'd like to add an anchorago tusk to my predator tank, just have to find the right one at the right price. :)

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair enough! They're a gorgeous fish! I just wish the others in this genus got a little more attention, so I had to bring them up.

I'd like to add an anchorago tusk to my predator tank, just have to find the right one at the right price. :)
The anchorago is another fish on my list but that would be for a FOWLR in the future. Love their character and the way they eat. I agree they should get more love.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is honestly hard because both have their pros.
I think in your tank, due to it being a similar dimension to mine, they’re likely to terrorise other smaller wrasses. I would wait until the upgrade as then there is plenty of territory.
For now I’d say regal purely because the wrasses aren’t at risk but also they have a much slower growth IME.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is honestly hard because both have their pros.
I think in your tank, due to it being a similar dimension to mine, they’re likely to terrorise other smaller wrasses. I would wait until the upgrade as then there is plenty of territory.
For now I’d say regal purely because the wrasses aren’t at risk but also they have a much slower growth IME.
Wait how big is your tank? I thought it was a 75 gallon 4 foot? Did I read that wrong? Mines the one that Salty has. Ima look what tank she has to double check.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait how big is your tank? I thought it was a 75 gallon 4 foot? Did I read that wrong? Mines the one that Salty has. Ima look what tank she has to double check.
Mines a 4’x2’x2’ :)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gallon wise?
I believe it holds 120 Gallons (Although we go by litres over here so it could be an incorrect transition).
Generally, gallons aren’t useful in fish keeping as fish usually care more about the length/width than they do the amount of water the tank holds.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it holds 120 Gallons (Although we go by litres over here so it could be an incorrect transition).
Generally, gallons aren’t useful in fish keeping as fish usually care more about the length/width than they do the amount of water the tank holds.

You must be a wrasse whisperer.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tusks are so cool. Unfortunately, the two I’ve had over the years were stone cold murderers. Maybe I had bad luck, but man, I wish I could have a peaceful one :/
Honestly, it’s hard to find any peaceful tusks IME.
All the ones I got in at the LFS were nasty and very rarely got along with smaller wrasses that weren’t on the aggression levels of Scottorum, Chloropterus and many of the Coris species.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the ones I got in at the LFS were nasty and very rarely got along with smaller wrasses that weren’t on the aggression levels of Scottorum, Chloropterus and many of the Coris species.
You suffer from trauma then my friend :squinting-face-with-tongue: All the Harlequins I have seen are so nice and don’t bug anyone.

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That matches my experience with tusks. They were mean, and I mean downright angry. One of them just killed indiscriminately, like he was doing it for sport. Such a cool fish, but I don’t know that I’ll ever own another.

I’ve heard some people have managed to find “model citizens.” Seems like maybe they had much better luck than I have!

Back