The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just got possum wrasses for my Frag system to combat pests. I too was under the impression that they are a hardy easy fish. What are the special needs for them. I will be culturing and dosing copepods.
Mine has been a pretty sturdy wrasse. Eats mysis and picks at the rocks. Make sure you have some live rock in there for it to hide.

edit: I have a pink streak.

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just got possum wrasses for my Frag system to combat pests. I too was under the impression that they are a hardy easy fish. What are the special needs for them. I will be culturing and dosing copepods.
They are super sensitive in general and impossible to QT, picky eaters but mine took to frozen right away, hard to ID possible diseases, can pass away mysteriously like mine did, mine sat on its side the whole trip home from the LFS and then was fine when put in the tank… I’m sure there are more things than that.

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask how big is your tank and how many? I definitely would say no more than one if they aren’t a mated pair or there is a heap of live rock to hide in for them.

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Oh ok, do you have them yet?
Yes, got them Wednesday. They are currently in observation, but thinking I might want to move them over. No other fish, but wanting to maintain a system that never has the opportunity to host ich. That way I can sell and trade the corals as ich free.
Not sure what to do about someone saying they don’t do well in QT. I’m guessing they don’t handle either the copper or the bare tank.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, got them Wednesday. They are currently in observation, but thinking I might want to move them over. No other fish, but wanting to maintain a system that never has the opportunity to host ich. That way I can sell and trade the corals as ich free.
Not sure what to do about someone saying they don’t do well in QT. I’m guessing they don’t handle either the copper or the bare tank.
Just observe them in your QT tank for 6-8 weeks. Hit them with prazi x 2 then into your frag system.

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure which of the two or if there are other factors that make it close to impossible to QT but I recommend no medication unless there is a problem and you can properly identify it. I would love to see some photos of these guys!

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found over the years that most wrasses do not handle meds very well. Be it copper or prazi, most just do not handle it well.

Yes I have ich in my tank(I can see it from time to time pop up on my fish), but it does not bother my fish one bit. Well fed happy fish, will fight off the disease naturally. I only QT new additions as an observation. I have yet needed to treat for any diseases besides internal parasite(prazipro), as most wrasses come in with them(most notable carrier of worms is leopards). Other fish I have treated for for internal parasites, but I have never used copper, nor find a need to. Maybe I'm just lucky, but have never found the need to over medicate fish(medicated QT immediately upon arrival regardless if their sick or not) if it's not needed.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OOh and I lied in my previous post........

Forgot about my moyers leopard..... I have 4 wrasses left. Yellow coris, exquisite fairy, melagris leopard, and the moyers leopard.

I will be calling @NYAquatic again this morning to see whats up with my choati. I think at this point(it's been 2 weeks) if he doesn't have it, or it's not on it's way this week, I will just ask for a refund. If he doesn't want to give a refund, I will be contacting my bank to remove the payment, but don't think I have to go that far as Michael seems to be an upstanding guy.

Might have a drive to a couple LFS's today to see if I can find another negrosensis.

Still need to figure out something with the tiny gap in the back of my screen to stop jumpers from reaching that space.

Last edited:

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OOh and I lied in my previous post........

Forgot about my moyers leopard..... I have 4 wrasses left. Yellow coris, exquisite fairy, melagris leopard, and the moyers leopard.

I will be calling @NYAquatic again this morning to see whats up with my choati. I think at this point(it's been 2 weeks) if he doesn't have it, or it's on it's way this week, I will just ask for a refund. If he doesn't want to give a refund, I will be contacting my bank to remove the payment, but don't think I have to go that far as Michael seems to be an upstanding guy.

Might have a drive to a couple LFS's today to see if I can find another negrosensis.

Still need to figure out something with the tiny gap in the back of my screen to stop jumpers from reaching that space.
I'm also having wrasse issues with a vendor. Ordered a wrasse last week, was supposed to arrive Friday, when that didn't happen I assumed today but I'm yet to get a shipping notification and they have not responded to my email.

And for all you vocabulary ***** out there.... How would you pronounce choati? I have heard it about 5 different ways.

In my mind it is K-ow-ti, but I have heard it as Ch-o-te, as well as many other pronunciations.
I pronounced it Chow-ah-tee just because thats how I read it.

Last edited:

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also having wrasse issues with a vendor. Ordered a wrasse last week, was supposed to arrive Friday, when that didn't happen I assumed today but I'm yet to get a shipping notification and they have not responded to my email.
They just got back to me. Apparently the fish was out of stock. If the fish was out of stock why was it listed as "in stock" and more importantly why did they not tell me?! I had this happen with Biota and they immediately contacted me to refund me the order and apologize for the mix up but not this store I had to contact them.

Last edited:

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And for all you vocabulary ***** out there.... How would you pronounce choati? I have heard it about 5 different ways.

In my mind it is K-ow-ti, but I have heard it as Ch-o-te, as well as many other pronunciations.
I never call them by their common name so I say Choati as K-ow-ati or Koa-ti.

c_healy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect timing. I just got home about 5 mins ago and then FedEx showed up.

Attachments

• 85868347-EDFF-4873-9C44-1010646C6191.jpeg
    85868347-EDFF-4873-9C44-1010646C6191.jpeg
    128.4 KB · Views: 46

c_healy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
P. Attenuatus acclimated and eating in the acclimation tank. Can’t wait until he’s settled in and I can get some better pictures.

Attachments

• 847567A7-4DE8-4F62-9692-4021A48E0496.jpeg
    847567A7-4DE8-4F62-9692-4021A48E0496.jpeg
    113.7 KB · Views: 34
  • EDAED6E1-3B26-438D-AAF0-974A83191E32.jpeg
    EDAED6E1-3B26-438D-AAF0-974A83191E32.jpeg
    107.3 KB · Views: 36

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 79 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back