The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still figuring out whether I will be getting/setting up the 95/105 gallon tank but I am also still trying to figure out stocking if in the end I do. The display is 120x50x60 for now the plan in terms of wrasse is
3x Yellow banded possum wrasse
3x Small pink streak wrasse
1x Multicolor Lubbock’s wrasse
1x Yellow candy hogfish
1x Carpenter’s flasher wrasse

Here is the full plan
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/8...sse-haeven-stocking-plan.969632/post-11211301

How does this sound? Any suggestions and/or opinions apreciated.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still figuring out whether I will be getting/setting up the 95/105 gallon tank but I am also still trying to figure out stocking if in the end I do. The display is 120x50x60 for now the plan in terms of wrasse is
3x Yellow banded possum wrasse
3x Small pink streak wrasse
1x Multicolor Lubbock’s wrasse
1x Yellow candy hogfish
1x Carpenter’s flasher wrasse

Here is the full plan
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/8...sse-haeven-stocking-plan.969632/post-11211301

How does this sound? Any suggestions and/or opinions apreciated.
I don’t know much about the hogfish and having 3 of the same species is maybe risky but I really wan to see how that works!
No other issues IMO. I’d be tempted with some more flasher species though.

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know much about the hogfish and having 3 of the same species is maybe risky but I really wan to see how that works!
No other issues IMO. I’d be tempted with some more flasher species though.
That’s the plan! If it works out it would be so cool and I feel there is enough space if I end up with multiple males for them to create their own territories. Unfortunately the only flashers I have seen here are carpenter’s.

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity, I keep seeing green coris wrasses at the lfs. What are y’all’s experience with that? They look really neat so just looking for some more info. I also always see this thread but am not a wrasse man yet, so have just been curious about what goes on over here :face-with-tears-of-joy:

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody know what this fairy wrasse is? The name is in Indonesian so I am not sure what it is
E8E35CF2-3392-4178-87C4-C21E94286843.jpeg

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody know what this fairy wrasse is? The name is in Indonesian so I am not sure what it is
Looks like a Cirrhilabrus lubbocki the ‘Indonesian’ variant. Not 100% sure as it is in its camo/stress colors. Could be another wrasse in total but I do think it’s a Cirrhilabrus.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity, I keep seeing green coris wrasses at the lfs. What are y’all’s experience with that? They look really neat so just looking for some more info. I also always see this thread but am not a wrasse man yet, so have just been curious about what goes on over here :face-with-tears-of-joy:
Well like the yellow coris wrasse it is not a Coris wrasse but a Halichoeres wrasse, Halichoeres chloropterus. It is a larger halichoeres and those are often fairly aggressive. Though @i cant think has one and has seemingly had few issues.

Also Aaron ID?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So tank transfers happened successfully and this time I did use an acclimation box and everything has worked out great!!
Isn't she gorgeous?! And yes @Petcrazyson I'll admit its prettier then the Cearulepunctatus.
IMG_3094.jpeg
IMG_3102.jpeg
IMG_3101.jpeg
IMG_3099.jpeg
IMG_3098.jpeg
IMG_3097.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off;
Whilst I do have a gorgeous male Chloropterus, I highly disagree with owning one as your first wrasse. This was one of my first personal wrasses however I have had years of experience with other wrasses and aggression.
This is one wrasse I doubt I would have again just because whilst my current one has yet to give me any big issues, I have seen some nasty ones and I know @SaltyT has seen some outright aggressive specimens.
Secondly;
This wrasse isn’t a coris wrasse and is instead of the genus Halichoeres (Halichoeres chloropterus). The true Coris wrasses are in the genus of Coris, such as the Red Coris Wrasse - Coris gaimard.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first guess would honestly be a Cirrhilabrus flavidorsalis transitional phase male. However, at that stage of female to only just transitioning it’s hard to know the exact species. The lubbocki can be knocked out of the question due to the colours of female lubbocki’s being a deeper purple/red. And I don’t believe the female lubbocki’s have much white on their bellies.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that one of those coast-to-coast overflows without weirs? How does he get in there?
Nah, it's a HOB overflow with a gap between it and the back of the tank. Though the fairy wrasses jump in and out regularly.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a pair of Bicolor Cleaner Wrasses (Labroides bicolor) tonight! I'll get some pics of them tomorrow once they've settled in a bit. Already eating frozen and getting along well with one another.

Also apparently won an auction on ReefPro for a Royal Pencil Wrasse (Pseudojuloides severnsi) so need to get the shipping figured out for that. Entered as a bit of a joke with my wife that I never win auctions, only to end up winning!

Edit: apparently my winning bid didn't meet the minimum amount to ship, so now we have a small china wrasse coming as well...

Last edited:

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a thing today... went to LFS for snails and food - left with all of the above AND this gorgeous Red Velvet (rosy scales) fairy wrasse. He kept staring me down so I had to take him home, lol. Will post a better out- of- the- bag pic once he's more settled in (currently figuring out the pecking order in the tank). @i cant think - hooray for my 1st fairy wrasse! So far, my diamond goby has chased him some but the melanurus at least has completely ignored him - good news hopefully!

Attachments

• 20230325_151552.jpg
    20230325_151552.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 34

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a thing today... went to LFS for snails and food - left with all of the above AND this gorgeous Red Velvet (rosy scales) fairy wrasse. He kept staring me down so I had to take him home, lol. Will post a better out- of- the- bag pic once he's more settled in (currently figuring out the pecking order in the tank). @i cant think - hooray for my 1st fairy wrasse! So far, my diamond goby has chased him some but the melanurus at least has completely ignored him - good news hopefully!
If that’s a rubrisquamus that goby will have a surprise coming to him down the road. Probably same if it’s a roseafacia (sp?)

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that’s a rubrisquamus that goby will have a surprise coming to him down the road. Probably same if it’s a roseafacia (sp?)
It's a Cirrhilabrus finifenmaa most likely. Rubrisquamis isn't collected that often when you look at where they are being imported from. Most importers still list it as rubrisquamis as they often don't keep up with reclassification and species splitting that happens in the scientific community.

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In what way - will it go after the goby? The goby is like 3x it's size... though I know that doesn't matter to a lot of fish lol. Seems like the goby has cooled down a bit this evening, but Lenny the lawnmower blenny is being a bit of a turd. (Typical). I'm happy to report I've seen the new wrasse coming out a bit more this evening than he was earlier, exploring the tank. I Googled images and I do believe this is what he is. He has the same bright red and the purple diamond- shaped tail...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230325_202824_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20230325_202824_Google.jpg
    573.7 KB · Views: 31

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back