The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few quick pics of the bigger wrasses (the growout FOWLR is slowly becoming a predator reef). Can't wait to get them all moved into the big tank!

20230325_202823.jpg
20230325_202820.jpg
20230325_202817.jpg
20230325_202813.jpg
Beautiful fish!

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a Cirrhilabrus finifenmaa most likely. Rubrisquamis isn't collected that often when you look at where they are being imported from. Most importers still list it as rubrisquamis as they often don't keep up with reclassification and species splitting that happens in the scientific community.
I'm no expert whatsoever, but after googling both and comparing the images... the one I got looks most like the Rubrisquamis... if it is, what do I need to know?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In what way - will it go after the goby? The goby is like 3x it's size... though I know that doesn't matter to a lot of fish lol. Seems like the goby has cooled down a bit this evening, but Lenny the lawnmower blenny is being a bit of a turd. (Typical). I'm happy to report I've seen the new wrasse coming out a bit more this evening than he was earlier, exploring the tank. I Googled images and I do believe this is what he is. He has the same bright red and the purple diamond- shaped tail...
Thats a really beautiful fairy and not one I see very often!

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a really beautiful fairy and not one I see very often!
I think so too! I have never seen one in my lfs when I've been there, and just happened to stop in today and they had 3 or 4 - this guy, a carpenter's, and a couple others. All pretty but I was drawn to this one. I have been wanting an orangeback fairy wrasse, but I think the colors on this guy are just as pretty. :)

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think so too! I have never seen one in my lfs when I've been there, and just happened to stop in today and they had 3 or 4 - this guy, a carpenter's, and a couple others. All pretty but I was drawn to this one. I have been wanting an orangeback fairy wrasse, but I think the colors on this guy are just as pretty. :)
I'd definitely take that over an orangeback!

Just saw its closest relatives is the vibranium and blood stained fairy wrasse. Two wrasse that would probably cost what? I'm guessing deep into five figures, probably five figures each. Or is that crazy?

Anyways a very interesting wrasse you've got there!

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd definitely take that over an orangeback!

Just saw its closest relatives is the vibranium and blood stained fairy wrasse. Two wrasse that would probably cost what? I'm guessing deep into five figures, probably five figures each. Or is that crazy?

Anyways a very interesting wrasse you've got there!
Those are both beautiful too - and yes it would not surprise me if they're super pricey. I've been shocked by some of the prices of certain fish/coral in this hobby... If people want them and will pay it though, then so be it. Not going in my tank though, lol. I paid $135 for this guy and I'm not upset about it, I think that's a decent price. :)

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are both beautiful too - and yes it would not surprise me if they're super pricey. I've been shocked by some of the prices of certain fish/coral in this hobby... If people want them and will pay it though, then so be it. Not going in my tank though, lol. I paid $135 for this guy and I'm not upset about it, I think that's a decent price. :)
Sounds like a great price to me!
And those other two are expensive because they’re rare. Not sure I’d pay them much mind if they were common and 50 each haha.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In what way - will it go after the goby? The goby is like 3x it's size... though I know that doesn't matter to a lot of fish lol. Seems like the goby has cooled down a bit this evening, but Lenny the lawnmower blenny is being a bit of a turd. (Typical). I'm happy to report I've seen the new wrasse coming out a bit more this evening than he was earlier, exploring the tank. I Googled images and I do believe this is what he is. He has the same bright red and the purple diamond- shaped tail...
No. I didn’t suggest that it will target your other fish but that it is a bit on the aggressive side and will stand ip to the goby.

This one:
No. I didn’t suggest that it will target your other fish but that it is a bit on the aggressive side and will stand up to the goby.

This one:

278D3CE1-AC0A-48A5-B65B-F8709B44D17F.png

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. I didn’t suggest that it will target your other fish but that it is a bit on the aggressive side and will stand ip to the goby.

This one:

No. I didn’t suggest that it will target your other fish but that it is a bit on the aggressive side and will stand up to the goby.

This one:

Oh ok good, I wasn't sure what you meant - but either way, the goby is always kind of a jerk to new arrivals so if the wrasse did start picking on him he kind of deserves it lol. I'm glad to hear this particular wrasse should be able to stand up to the other fish. :) I've learned that my fish are all pretty bold and while they're generally peaceful, new fish are going to have to either be semi-aggresive or at a minimum be able to hold their own. I have a feeling the wrasse will be fine, and can't wait to see him out and about more once he's acclimated to his new surroundings. :)

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This one:

This one:

Is this turning into a photo competition? Well I think I won ;)
1679801747407.png

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a thing today... went to LFS for snails and food - left with all of the above AND this gorgeous Red Velvet (rosy scales) fairy wrasse. He kept staring me down so I had to take him home, lol. Will post a better out- of- the- bag pic once he's more settled in (currently figuring out the pecking order in the tank). @i cant think - hooray for my 1st fairy wrasse! So far, my diamond goby has chased him some but the melanurus at least has completely ignored him - good news hopefully!
If I’m honest it looks as though you’ve gotten the sister species to rubrisquamis - Finifenmaa. And finifenmaa seem to be overall more peaceful than rubriquamis.
It's a Cirrhilabrus finifenmaa most likely. Rubrisquamis isn't collected that often when you look at where they are being imported from. Most importers still list it as rubrisquamis as they often don't keep up with reclassification and species splitting that happens in the scientific community.
Rubriquamis is collected rather regularly and in fact Finifenmaa is the rarer of the two over here. The way I personally tell if it’s a finifenmaa is due to the yellow in the dorsal fin, rubriquamis doesn’t have that yellow in the dorsal and instead it’s a rather more clear fin with just the purple tint.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well… I’ve done a thing and unintentionally got hold of another dream wrasse.
Solve the riddle to figure out the species;
They love the sand and hunt nuggets from it. Males have flecks of… what am I?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ain’t saying it’s a gold digger….

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sarcastic d&d GIF by Hyper RPG

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ain’t saying it’s a gold digger….
Well, had I brought it at the price it should’ve been you would definitely call it a gold digger

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so excited for my new guys this week.

The china wrasse (Anampses neoguinaicus) and royal pencil wrasse (Pseudojuloides severnsi) arrive from ReefPro on Wednesday, and a friend of mine ordered me a Gold cleaner wrasse (Labroides pectoralis) and a yellow coris wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus) which I should be picking up later this week as well.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so excited for my new guys this week.

The china wrasse (Anampses neoguinaicus) and royal pencil wrasse (Pseudojuloides severnsi) arrive from ReefPro on Wednesday, and a friend of mine ordered me a Gold cleaner wrasse (Labroides pectoralis) and a yellow coris wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus) which I should be picking up later this week as well.
Awesome! Those are some very cool wrasse! Especially excited to see the neoguinaicus and the cleaner.

Just hope you have a better experience with Reef Pro than I have. I’ve given them a lot of money without getting anything other than one dead fish. Still jokes on them as I got my yellowtail for 30$ when they’re selling there’s for 320$

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just hope you have a better experience with Reef Pro than I have. I’ve given them a lot of money without getting anything other than one dead fish. Still jokes on them as I got my yellowtail for 30$ when they’re selling there’s for 320$
That really is a steal!
I’m surprised that Yellowtails at Reef Pro are so high priced as everywhere else I’ve seen them for sale in the US they’ve been in the mid-low double digits (30-50 for a seemingly young female).

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back