The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The phoenix has risen. I know it’s a crappy pick but the first glimpse of her since adding 2 weeks ago.
IMG_5277.jpeg
Hard to see in the pic but if it’s what I think it was one of mine that I said sell. Enjoy her. I got one more for sale now as she finishing qt lol

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems I'm having a rough time with fish lately.

Wife called me yesterday while I was at work, because my tank was making a"boiling" sound. So I ram home quick just to find the emergency taking on water, and the filter sock overflowing. Changed out the sock, opened the gate valve a bit, and all was fine.

Got a call a couple hours later that the tank was still making noises. I wasn't too worried at this oint and figured it could wait till got home in a couple hours.

After a I got home, I opened the gate valve fully to flush whatever was in the gate valve out. Well, out slides my yellow tail tamarin, dead as a doornail.

I have absolutely no idea how she got into my overflow? I have a cover on the center tower style overflow that was not ajar. Only thing I can figure is she was thin enough to slide between the wier teeth, nad i do not run a pipe or anything on my full siphon. Just an open bulkhead. Got stuck in the siphon, and down she went.

Think I'm going to stop buying fish for a few months. In the last month or so I've lost a black leopard, an exquisite fairy, and now the yellow tail tamarin.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wife called me yesterday while I was at work, because my tank was making a"boiling" sound. So I ram home quick just to find the emergency taking on water, and the filter sock overflowing. Changed out the sock, opened the gate valve a bit, and all was fine.

Got a call a couple hours later that the tank was still making noises. I wasn't too worried at this oint and figured it could wait till got home in a couple hours.

After a I got home, I opened the gate valve fully to flush whatever was in the gate valve out. Well, out slides my yellow tail tamarin, dead as a doornail.

I have absolutely no idea how she got into my overflow? I have a cover on the center tower style overflow that was not ajar. Only thing I can figure is she was thin enough to slide between the wier teeth, nad i do not run a pipe or anything on my full siphon. Just an open bulkhead. Got stuck in the siphon, and down she went.

Think I'm going to stop buying fish for a few months. In the last month or so I've lost a black leopard, an exquisite fairy, and now the yellow tail tamarin.
Sorry to hesr. That was a nice wrasse. I wouldn’t stop buying fish. Wrasses will get into the overflows. They need a safe place at the bottom when they get in there. Sounds like you need to add a standpipe a couple inches off the bottom. Or add a verticle fenestrated piece like what Richard Durso sells on his site. I use these on my Durso. Long enough so that debri or snails won’t block the flow

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I should have a pipe on it, but I took it out like 5 years ago, and hasn't been an issue. It' all my own fault. I know this, but the hit to the wallet is still there, and the bad feeling these fish died because of my incompetence.

I know this may be some what morbid, but I have been in the hobby long enough, and lost enough things(including entire tanks), to not let it really bother me too much. I hate the loss of the money more then anything.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I should have a pipe on it, but I took it out like 5 years ago, and hasn't been an issue. It' all my own fault. I know this, but the hit to the wallet is still there, and the bad feeling these fish died because of my incompetence.

I know this may be some what morbid, but I have been in the hobby long enough, and lost enough things(including entire tanks), to not let it really bother me too much. I hate the loss of the money more then anything.
It will always bother you. Time to find that pipe.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will always bother you. Time to find that pipe.
And fix my screen top so they can't fit out that little gap!

Guess this may be the motivation to fix both issues, as well as a couple others I've been meaning to get to.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So sorry but don’t beat yourself up. Is the fish loss from bullying stress. A few losses and one getting in an overflow just sounds like stressed from bullying. Better days ahead keep strong

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Naa no bullying, just dumb luck.

First 2 were from jumping, and finding the tiny gap in the back of my screen top. Recent was just swimming through the weir teeth.

My wife just got home, and said she had noticed the tamarin swimming between the teeth the other day, but didn't think anything of it. I would assume she was hunting, as my overflow is full of critters, and she probably thought she found the gold mine.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Naa no bullying, just dumb luck.

First 2 were from jumping, and finding the tiny gap in the back of my screen top. Recent was just swimming through the weir teeth.

My wife just got home, and said she had noticed the tamarin swimming between the teeth the other day, but didn't think anything of it. I would assume she was hunting, as my overflow is full of critters, and she probably thought she found the gold mine.
I find small leopards stuck in mushroom boxes. I have them just above the water line and the leopards jump in for pods and can’t get out. The boxes are loaded with meaty pods. I can see your yellow tail going in there for pods.

Now you got me thinking about baby rhomboid. He can get through my weir and I pull from bulkhead

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find small leopards stuck in mushroom boxes. I have them just above the water line and the leopards jump in for pods and can’t get out. The boxes are loaded with meaty pods. I can see your yellow tail going in there for pods.

Now you got me thinking about baby rhomboid. He can get through my weir and I pull from bulkhead
You guys and your first world problems. I’ll keep running my noisy dursos

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why noisy? Mine is quiet. My full siphon is just a bulkhead the other two are a piece of pipe and water trickles down them both but can’t hear it.
They are actually quiet. The original pipes I had in the late 90s were loud. I had to embelish my story to take a jab at the bean animal emergency pipe new fangled overflows.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are actually quiet. The original pipes I had in the late 90s were loud. I had to embelish my story to take a jab at the bean animal emergency pipe new fangled overflows.
Late 90’s!!! Wow you been doing this long time. I’m little over 4 years I think. Had a year collecting equipment and learning so 5 years

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my red lined wrasse came out today after hiding for 6 weeks! Absolutely incredible it held out that long. I am absolutely blown away. It does not look to well though it’s very skinny and looks like a zombie. I’m willing to do anything to help her make it. Any tips to get her eating up and what to soak the food in? I was thinking selcon to get the vitamins and get her immune system up

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back