The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cirrhilabrus and Paracheilinus are compatible together, generally, though how long that would last in your system is another question. I wouldn’t keep the adornatus in your 55 for too long, as they need a long footprint of room for them to swim across. What’s the footprint of your tank? I would hold off to getting the carpenteri as adding him may result in the adornatus being too territorial and the carpenteri wouldn’t have much where to go. The Paracheilinus is more docile than the adornatus, so if you do end up adding him, you may not see the carpenteri out and activley swimming at the beginning, and wpuld be more secretive than usual further down the line. When wpuld you plan on upgrading?
This is where common names suck... I read "adorned wrasse" as halichoeres cosmetus :thinking-face:

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is where common names suck... I read "adorned wrasse" as halichoeres cosmetus
I don’t like common names, (don’t even get me started for corals) I always ask the LFS‘ if they have this or that and always in a scientific form 8/10 I’ll get : A what!? We don’t carry those!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t like common names, (don’t even get me started for corals) I always ask the LFS‘ if they have this or that and always in a scientific form 8/10 I’ll get : A what!? We don’t carry those!
It’s even worse when you work at an LFS and get asked about fish in common names… 9/10 times my reaction is pure confusion and then I realise what they mean after going through all the scientifics in my head.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with common names, just like common names for corals, they are very regional.

I have seen the same coral/fish at an LFS in my area called one common name, and they were called something completely different from an LFS in Cali.

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just saw a fairy wrasse chart posted by @SaltyT in another thread, and noticed it had 40g, 55g, and 75g tanks listed as minimum for different types. I know footprint matters a lot more than total gallons, so my question is how much does height matter?

I ordered a 50g from glass cages with the same footprint as a 75, but only 13” tall. How will that affect wrasse choices considering 40s are less wide, 55s are less deep, and 75s are taller?

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vertical swimming room isn't quite as important as horizontal swimming room.

Fish don't really swim up and down(other then pacing, but thats a different thing all together), they would prefer to swim side to side.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just saw a fairy wrasse chart posted by @SaltyT in another thread, and noticed it had 40g, 55g, and 75g tanks listed as minimum for different types. I know footprint matters a lot more than total gallons, so my question is how much does height matter?

I ordered a 50g from glass cages with the same footprint as a 75, but only 13” tall. How will that affect wrasse choices considering 40s are less wide, 55s are less deep, and 75s are taller?
Most of the flashers want taller tanks, I know @Crabby48 found his Hemi preferred a tall tank.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I myself, even after being in the hobby for many years, still have a difficult time with scientific names. I often times have to google a name you guys throw out there. But I am also not as well versed in wrassdom as some of you guys.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You are correct that the footprint is more important than the volume. In a 13" tall tank I would avoid wrasses that bolt upwards when startled, those are fairy wrasses, flasher wrasses, and pencil wrasses.

Good options for a shallow tank are pink streaked wrasse, possum wrasse and black leopard wrasse.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Most fish like that long footprint to swim like Tangs and wrasse, but some wrasse like Paracheilinus that live in deeper like that height, so it really depends.

It really affects what wrasse species you’d like to add.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I’ll double check any wrasse additions here first :face-with-tears-of-joy:
Yea we’ll make it easy for you, we’ll give you over 150 types of each species for you to choose from:winking-face-with-tongue:

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Agree with I can’t think. Flashers tend to like a taller tank. They are jumpy fish. I would be nervous keeping wrasse in a 13” tank but should work. Would love to hear @SaltyT opinion
Hemi’s are very big flasher so do need big tall tanks. Mine and one other saw the same thing with them once they got size to them

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with I can’t think. Flashers tend to like a taller tank. They are jumpy fish. I would be nervous keeping wrasse in a 13” tank but should work. Would love to hear @SaltyT opinion
Hemi’s are very big flasher so do need big tall tanks. Mine and one other saw the same thing with them once they got size to them
My recommendation for a 13" tall are pink streaked wrasse, possum wrasse, and black leopard wrasse. The black leopard is the smallest of the leopards that are available in the hobby.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats cause flashers and fairies are known jumpers. :p
I know you are answering with tongue n cheek but fir the new 50 gallon owner vertical swimming is part of the males behavior especially around females. Startle response too. Of course non of our tanks are deep compared to the ocean but as long as you have length and the tank is not overloaded or with aggressive fish you should be ok to some extent.

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered an earmuff from WWC that they didn’t ship out as it died. That day Dr Reef sent me an order without me confirming for a female rhomboid wrasse almond a couple other things. Turns out the wrasse is about 5-6” not 2-3” and looks like a super male! Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 0302B62B-E9CD-42FE-8F36-61FF340DE24B.jpeg
    0302B62B-E9CD-42FE-8F36-61FF340DE24B.jpeg
    43.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 47AD3AFD-D4B9-47C9-A760-67A959354CB1.jpeg
    47AD3AFD-D4B9-47C9-A760-67A959354CB1.jpeg
    46.3 KB · Views: 33

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered an earmuff from WWC that they didn’t ship out as it died. That day Dr Reef sent me an order without me confirming for a female rhomboid wrasse almond a couple other things. Turns out the wrasse is about 5-6” not 2-3” and looks like a super male! Any thoughts?
Bummer about the earmuff. You definitely have a nice male rhomboid. Nice score if you were okay with a male.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back