The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my red lined wrasse came out today after hiding for 6 weeks! Absolutely incredible it held out that long. I am absolutely blown away. It does not look to well though it’s very skinny and looks like a zombie. I’m willing to do anything to help her make it. Any tips to get her eating up and what to soak the food in? I was thinking selcon to get the vitamins and get her immune system up
I’m still waiting for my jordani to come out. It has been almost a year.

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m still waiting for my jordani to come out. It has been almost a year.
She was only out for a few minutes. So who knows maybe she has come out before and I just wasn’t around the tank at that time. She is back in hiding now so we will see if I see her again

juarec0201

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y’all I looking for some suggestions to add to my 100g. So far I have the following
Lubbocki
Bathyphilus
Yellow coris
Yellow tamarin

Thinking of adding some flashers and pink streak, on the fence with a leopard
Any other fairy’s that may do well?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y’all I looking for some suggestions to add to my 100g. So far I have the following
Lubbocki
Bathyphilus
Yellow coris
Yellow tamarin

Thinking of adding some flashers and pink streak, on the fence with a leopard
Any other fairy’s that may do well?
Exquisite, rhomboidalis, anything from the rubriventralis complex.
IMG_6841.jpeg

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomini: peacefully watching some seaweed flutter

Possum: “let me just move you out of the way real quick, thanks, sorry about that.”

Been thinking about replacing my tomini but the mag foxface is the better algae grazer. Tomini is so much more graceful.

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been thinking about replacing my tomini but the mag foxface is the better algae grazer. Tomini is so much more graceful.

Agreed, Fox face are some of the best algae eaters, but the tomini is very graceful, and especially beautiful when calmly swimming. When we have people over the tomini and rhomboid are the fish that always get mentioned or asked about.

Only thing is that my tomini is very shy, meanwhile any fox face I’ve had over the years has always been very bold and front and center.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomorrow is my day off, got a couple things to do on the tank. Also found this in my endless plumbing bin(s).

20230604_154110.jpg

I remember now why I took my siphon pipe out. When I get the entire tower to drain down with the return off. I can do a 20G WC right from the sump. I'll just throw this on the bulkhead, and it will still allow the tower to drain down.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I was going to post a separate thread but seems how yall are wrasse people Ill ask here! I saw a lubbock’s wrasse for the first time in a store the other say and was amazed by its color!! Been thinking of adding wrasse to my take for a while but was unsure. But boy was that fish beautiful!! I want to add a lubbocks, melenarus or yellow and a six line wrasse to a 125 tank. I got the tank from someone else recently and its got some remaining pyramid snails even after replacing the rock! Read six lines eat them, which is why its on my list. Any of yall wrasse lovers have some advice??

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I was going to post a separate thread but seems how yall are wrasse people Ill ask here! I saw a lubbock’s wrasse for the first time in a store the other say and was amazed by its color!! Been thinking of adding wrasse to my take for a while but was unsure. But boy was that fish beautiful!! I want to add a lubbocks, melenarus or yellow and a six line wrasse to a 125 tank. I got the tank from someone else recently and its got some remaining pyramid snails even after replacing the rock! Read six lines eat them, which is why its on my list. Any of yall wrasse lovers have some advice??
Skip the six line. It will kill the other wrasse. All halichoeres will do the same job as a sixline so the Melanurus and/or yellow would be best for pests.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skip the six line. It will kill the other wrasse. All halichoeres will do the same job as a sixline so the Melanurus and/or yellow would be best for pests.
Gotcha! Thank you!

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomorrow is my day off, got a couple things to do on the tank. Also found this in my endless plumbing bin(s).

20230604_154110.jpg

I remember now why I took my siphon pipe out. When I get the entire tower to drain down with the return off. I can do a 20G WC right from the sump. I'll just throw this on the bulkhead, and it will still allow the tower to drain down.
Since you have an emergency drain then that short cap will do

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Getting ready to introduce M. bipartitis, Stonogobiops yasha (shrimp goby) and a Koumansetta rainfordi (court jester goby) to my tank.

Does anyone have advice on acclimating the leopard? Presumably will arrive from Dr. Reef in a black bag. Do you put them in an acclimation box? How long? Anything in the acclimation box? Sand? PVC tubes? You acclimate multiple fish in separate boxes, correct?

Wouldn't mind a pointer or two for the yasha and court jester as well, even though I know this thread isn't for goby lovers! Can you put the yasha in an acclimation box with a pistol shrimp or wait till they're in the DT together to pair?

Thanks!

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Melanurus.
He is a “shrimp be gone wrasse”
Or a Harlequin Tusk
IMG_4777.jpeg
I may have spoken in the heat of the moment. Just water blasted the shrimp and it is back on its nem. That Harlequin tusk looks like every invert in my tank would be doomed!

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well got some sad news today, although I saw my red lined wrasse two days ago after it hiding for six weeks and was very excited. I come home to find my cleaner shrimps eating it with it almost all gone. Really sucks cause she was a beautiful fish and I actually had hope that she was going to make it after seeing her out.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Getting ready to introduce M. bipartitis, Stonogobiops yasha (shrimp goby) and a Koumansetta rainfordi (court jester goby) to my tank.

Does anyone have advice on acclimating the leopard? Presumably will arrive from Dr. Reef in a black bag. Do you put them in an acclimation box? How long? Anything in the acclimation box? Sand? PVC tubes? You acclimate multiple fish in separate boxes, correct?

Wouldn't mind a pointer or two for the yasha and court jester as well, even though I know this thread isn't for goby lovers! Can you put the yasha in an acclimation box with a pistol shrimp or wait till they're in the DT together to pair?

Thanks!
You can put sand in a box. Recently I’ve been keeping a new fish in an acclimation box until lights out and if nothing has been showing aggression I add to the tank then. If not then it might need longer then you’ll need to add sand to the box.

For the goby and shrimp you can add them separately but if there are no other gobies or hawkfish then you may be able to skip acclimation with the yasha.

CJG needs a lot of micro fauna to survive so you don’t want to acclimate too long. If it’s not captive bred it may not accept tank foods.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can put sand in a box. Recently I’ve been keeping a new fish in an acclimation box until lights out and if nothing has been showing aggression I add to the tank then. If not then it might need longer then you’ll need to add sand to the box.

For the goby and shrimp you can add them separately but if there are no other gobies or hawkfish then you may be able to skip acclimation with the yasha.

CJG needs a lot of micro fauna to survive so you don’t want to acclimate too long. If it’s not captive bred it may not accept tank foods.
There is currently a firefish that spends most of its time in a cave and a tailspot blenny that bounces around the rocks. The two occelaris clowns haven't been transferred yet and will likely go in last

It's an office tank, so maybe I'll let them go the day and see if any of the fish react with one another.

The CJG is captive bred and pre-QT'd from Dr. Reef and eating mysis/brine shrimp with selcon/garlic. I have a lot of different Reef Nutrition liquid food pumped into the tank 4x/day, so hopefully it likes something there, plus TDO pellets 3x/day. Pods are growing and I'm looking into a pod culture.

So with the leopard in an acclimation box with sand (enough to bury?), if it buries itself, how long do you wait to let it out? Just open the top and let it come out itself?

Thanks!!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is currently a firefish that spends most of its time in a cave and a tailspot blenny that bounces around the rocks. The two occelaris clowns haven't been transferred yet and will likely go in last

It's an office tank, so maybe I'll let them go the day and see if any of the fish react with one another.

The CJG is captive bred and pre-QT'd from Dr. Reef and eating mysis/brine shrimp with selcon/garlic. I have a lot of different Reef Nutrition liquid food pumped into the tank 4x/day, so hopefully it likes something there, plus TDO pellets 3x/day. Pods are growing and I'm looking into a pod culture.

So with the leopard in an acclimation box with sand (enough to bury?), if it buries itself, how long do you wait to let it out? Just open the top and let it come out itself?

Thanks!!
I doubt they need acclimation then. Nothing I’d worry about there. I think they should all do well!

Back