The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a photo of the undescribed flasher wrasse that was discovered in January 2023 in American Samoa.
But I agree this vendor doesn't have the best track record for ID'ing flasher wrasses... they were notorious for selling female C. africanus as female P. attenuatus.
I didn’t actually know there was a new flasher from January, but I guess it may be because it’s only really big when given a scientific name. It’s beautiful but if I’m honest I still would rather grab a Rubricaudalis.

Any idea what wrasse this is? I have in Qt at the moment and was told it’s a Bicolor Sunshine Fiji wrasse. Never heard or seen this thing. It’s about 4”
Thx!
This is a Prosopeion wrasse - they’re known as Two Tone, Bicolour Sunshine, and another common name that I can’t quite remember (I’m not great with common names).

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question- I recently set up a Fiji Cube 22 gallon nano. Are there any small peaceful wrasses that will play nice with say a Jawfish/Shrimp Goby that I’m thinking about getting for the tank. These would be the first and possibly only fish in the tank.

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question- I recently set up a Fiji Cube 22 gallon nano. Are there any small peaceful wrasses that will play nice with say a Jawfish/Shrimp Goby that I’m thinking about getting for the tank. These would be the first and possibly only fish in the tank.
pink streak wrasse

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second question, is this enough rock for the wrasse to feel safe?. I have some Carib Sea LifeRock I can add to the tank if need be
FCAD3951-9A35-41FF-9D5E-6F0834D46192.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pink Streaked Wrasses and Possum Wrasses are the only wrasses suited to nano tanks and they’re nowhere near aggressive unless in with conspecifics which even then that aggression isn’t too bad IME.

aws2266

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Check out the possum wrasse. I've had my guy for almost a year and he's tiny. He's got personality too.

AZReef13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Vote the Pink Streak.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is everyone getting the pink streaks lately? Dr Reef told me two weeks ago he's having a hard time finding them.
I got mine from Reef Pro. Looks like they have 18 available right now if you’re interested.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine from Reef Pro. Looks like they have 18 available right now if you’re interested.

Looks as though those guys are further through to maturity though (I could be wrong). I’d personally aim for a juvenile specimen.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks as though those guys are further through to maturity though (I could be wrong). I’d personally aim for a juvenile specimen.
They’re tough to find on this side of the pond juvi’s are hard to come by.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re tough to find on this side of the pond juvi’s are hard to come by.
That’s a shame, I’m sure you guys would love watching them mature.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, definitely want to start with small ones. I'm thinking early 2024 for a pair of pink streaks like @i cant think has--they look adorable together. Now focused on the M. bipartitis and getting a pod culture set up.

But, younger better. Do these also have ~4-5yr lifespans like the flashers/fairies?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, definitely want to start with small ones. I'm thinking early 2024 for a pair of pink streaks like @i cant think has--they look adorable together. Now focused on the M. bipartitis and getting a pod culture set up.

But, younger better. Do these also have ~4-5yr lifespans like the flashers/fairies?
These have long lifespans for nano fish but I wouldn’t say they have 4-5 year lifespans unless you get proper juveniles like I have.

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is everyone getting the pink streaks lately? Dr Reef told me two weeks ago he's having a hard time finding them.

From what I gather, the collection of them is quite seasonal (fall and spring).

Others have mentioned reefpro, so I’ll add another option to check. If you have a local fish store that orders from Quality Marine, ask them to look under the “special collection” or “special order” (or something along those lines) list from QM, as I was told that is where they are listed when they are available for LFS to purchase.

I’ve also been told they might be listed under a different name instead of pink streaked, alongside their scientific name. So have them also keep an eye out for “pelvic spot wrasse” or “cryptic six line” on fish ordering lists.

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My exquisite wrasse is always doing silly stuff. This week he has befriended a crab, and spends time hanging out with this crab throughout the day under the algae basket.

I have four of these crabs, and he doesn’t care about the other ones, he just picked this one to be his friend for some reason. I don’t understand it, but it’s pretty interesting to see.

IMG_1328.jpeg

Sorry for the bad photos, it’s kinda hard to get a decent pic because of where they are.

IMG_1338.jpeg

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My exquisite wrasse is always doing silly stuff. This week he has befriended a crab, and spends time hanging out with this crab throughout the day under the algae basket.

I have four of these crabs, and he doesn’t care about the other ones, he just picked this one to be his friend for some reason. I don’t understand it, but it’s pretty interesting to see.

IMG_1328.jpeg

Sorry for the bad photos, it’s kinda hard to get a decent pic because of where they are.

IMG_1338.jpeg
Wow!!
That’s hilarious and very interesting!

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_1328.jpeg

IMG_1338.jpeg
Pitho crabs are awesome in general. Pitho + wrasse is too funny.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back