The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Umm... I may have ordered 3 more wrasses for delivery next week.... ;Sorry

I may have an issue.;Nailbiting But they are so beautiful!!!
exquisite-2-jpg.1318356
Dang tease! What did you order?

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Copper Power with hanna checker on all mine. 2.00-2.25 for 14 days then to clean tank and then I use GC or Prazi. With the Rhomboid i would feed GC/Focus food as pretty susceptible to intestinal worms and parasites.

You getting from Jen? I saw she has a couple males and females. i would do a female but up to you.

My exact QT process. I usually use GC but I do have some Prazi I need to use up.

P. Angulatus is underrated!

You must be in my head today Gary! That was exactly the comment I was going to make. I only have two flashers at the moment (octotaenia and attenuatus). I'm gonna add two more at the same time. If I can't find a rubricaudalis, angulatus will take it's place.

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You must be in my head today Gary! That was exactly the comment I was going to make. I only have two flashers at the moment (octotaenia and attenuatus). I'm gonna add two more at the same time. If I can't find a rubricaudalis, angulatus will take it's place.

Excellent! I'm still looking to replace my Attenuatus. Currently only have Linespot in my DT for flashers but have a Rubricaudalis female going in this weekend. ;)

A little afraid to add an Octotaenia but would like one possibly after I find Attenuatus.

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent! I'm still looking to replace my Attenuatus. Currently only have Linespot in my DT for flashers but have a Rubricaudalis female going in this weekend. ;)

A little afraid to add an Octotaenia but would like one possibly after I find Attenuatus.

My octotaenia is a teddy bear. He is bold but subordinate to the attenuatus and bothers no one. Having a 6' tank helps a little I'm sure.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black leopard and melanurus would be fine to add too then? Thanks for all the help!
Should be okay - on small occasions some melanurus specimens can be a bit aggressive.
Picking up a new rhomboid, what’s everyone’s current favorite Qt methods for (fairy) wrasse ?
It depends on where I get them from, but as a minimum I observe and do two rounds of prazi or CG.
I use Copper Power with hanna checker on all mine. 2.00-2.25 for 14 days then to clean tank and then I use GC or Prazi. With the Rhomboid i would feed GC/Focus food as pretty susceptible to intestinal worms and parasites.
And that's a perfectly robust way to go, imo.
Im thinking the same, just get the wrasse eating and then try the GC food and maybe do a round of praziquantel in the tank (after done feeding).
Using both CG and Prazi is unnecessary.

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@evolved I amIntroducing a ruby head fairy into my DT that's already home to melunarus wrasse. Is this going to be a difficult transition? Should I expect aggression? I've got a 80g shallow tank.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@evolved I amIntroducing a ruby head fairy into my DT that's already home to melunarus wrasse. Is this going to be a difficult transition? Should I expect aggression? I've got a 80g shallow tank.
That should be relatively easy. You could use an acclimation box, just to be sure.

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on where I get them from, but as a minimum I observe and do two rounds of prazi or CG.

ya it’s a trustworthy lfs, I think observe and two rounds of Prazi or Cg is the plan thanks !

she’s eating well already which is a good sign.

My 2 special ladies. sorry about the bad pics.

wrasse1.jpg wrasse2.jpg Resized_20191211_144828.jpg

wow !

I need to get into the anampses genius, other than their price are they hard to get to acclimate (always heard they were harder than the average leopard)

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for the experts here: my tank's 28*20*20.
Would that be large enough for 2 or 3 flashers or better not?

If not, any suggestions for 1 or 2 wrasses that'd be happy in my size tank and won't start any trouble with my yellow coris?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flasher would be OK in that tank. Even some Fairy would be fine there. A Pintail or/and Lubbock would do OK in a tank that size. Possible Exquisite. I don’t keep “Yellow Coris” so I don’t know. Also several species are know as “Yellow Coris”. Hopefully it is not a Coris at all because Coris tend to be huge

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't keep a Halichoeres chysus (most common fish called yellow coris) in a tank that size. They get 6" or so and probably need a bigger tank. I personally wouldn't house an exquisite in a tank that size either. They get to 5" or more (or at least mine did).

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wouldn't keep a Halichoeres chysus (most common fish called yellow coris) in a tank that size. They get 6" or so and probably need a bigger tank. I personally wouldn't house an exquisite in a tank that size either. They get to 5" or more (or at least mine did).
Agreed. I would think a couple of flashers would be fine but the H. Chrysus will definitely outgrow that tank.

madlos123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will a carpenter wrasse be ok in a 40 barebottom gallon breeder? should I get a pair or just a single male?

Current stocking
7 Blue green chromis
2 firefish
1 tail spot blenny

currently in quarantine
2 royal gramma
2 banggai cardinal
might only add 1 of each if pairing doesnt occur or will survive velvet treatment

HOB aquaclear 110
diy wood air protein skimmwer
chaeto refugium

what do you guys think?
20191207_143826.jpg

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Will a carpenter wrasse be ok in a 40 barebottom gallon breeder? should I get a pair or just a single male?

Current stocking
7 Blue green chromis
2 firefish
1 tail spot blenny

currently in quarantine
2 royal gramma
2 banggai cardinal
might only add 1 of each if pairing doesnt occur or will survive velvet treatment

HOB aquaclear 110
diy wood air protein skimmwer
chaeto refugium

what do you guys think?
20191207_143826.jpg
One Carpenter wrasse will be fine. Wrasse do not pair so adding two Carpenters would not be wise choice in the long run..

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flasher wrasses don't need sand, so a bare bottom tank would be okay. Flasher wrasses don't pair, and two of the same species will eventually both turn male and fight; you'd likely only have one in the end.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back