The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

secret_reefer337

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you OrionN!

The solon and orange back have been together for almost a year now. They are both from my 40B. I hope they will not fight once they get more matured.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have two Fairy of the same complex in my 320 for the last two years. A smaller Solorensis and larger cf. Cyanopleura (Ruby Head). Both are terminal coloration. Not a lot of problem but the larger Ruby head give short chase now and then. If I drop a oyster into the tank to feed, the Solon wrasse wold hesitant to approach the oyster unless the Ruby head is out of the way.
I have not remove one of the two because there is no injury to the Solon. He is still fat and healthy.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone, just wanted to ask if I have a Divided Leopard Wrasse can I add another same female of it as I have one female and also I would love to add a cleaner wrasse, ornate leopard wrasse female, and white and yellow coris wrasse. Will these are be able to live and let live each other in a tank?? Would love your suggestions please.
It's really best to just stick with one specimen of any one species: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/pairing-wrasses-thats-not-how-any-of-this-works.3/
Cleaner wrasses are not always a great tank mate, depending on the size of your tank and what's in it.
A different species of leopard should be fine.
And a Halichoeres is also okay.
Currently I have Red Head Solon, Orange-Back Fairy and Yellow Coris Wrasse in my 120gal, can I still add Exquisite Fairy wrasse?
Should be fine.
Has anyone done a reef safe wrasse compatibility chart? or even a level of aggressiveness?
There's the chart already posted specific to just Cirrhilabrus. If you're looking for something more general, there's this (but it's not a chart): https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/all-about-reef-safe-wrasses-in-aquaria.28/
I also have two Fairy of the same complex in my 320 for the last two years. A smaller Solorensis and larger cf. Cyanopleura (Ruby Head). Both are terminal coloration. Not a lot of problem but the larger Ruby head give short chase now and then. If I drop a oyster into the tank to feed, the Solon wrasse wold hesitant to approach the oyster unless the Ruby head is out of the way.
I have not remove one of the two because there is no injury to the Solon. He is still fat and healthy.
But the bigger the tank, the more you can get away with. 300+ is getting pretty big. :)
If you moved them to a smaller tank together, the whole dynamic could change.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a Pink Streaked Wrasse and one of the Wetmorellas be ok together in a 36x18x16" tank?

PhantomHalo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So long as they are not both male, you should be okay.

The catch there, is the "female" 100% female with absolute certainty? If not, this will likely go poorly.

Any thoughts on putting a black leopard wrasse, Christmas wrasse, or Melanurus in the same tank (300g DT) as the Moyers? Maybe two of those? Just trying to find some others to add into the tank to add some pop that will be able to handle themselves with triggers, large angels, and a yellow belly puffer.

PhantomHalo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends:

What species do you have in mind here? That common name can be used on 5+ different ones.

Halichoeres claudia was what I was looking at. Not sure which other ones are considered Christmas wrasses. Are there ones to stay away from I guess is the bigger question? I’m dealing with a LFS that is ordering in fish for me. So I will just tell him not to get it if they are the kind to stay away from. :)

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Halichoeres claudia was what I was looking at.
H. claudia is pretty mild; should be okay.
Are there ones to stay away from I guess is the bigger question?
H. ornatissimus is claudia's cousin from Hawaii, and is typically pretty mean. Mean enough it often won't tolerate other wrasses. You don't want that one.
Anyone have insight on a elegant corris wrass?
Coris venusta. Acts like a Coris, but is on the smaller side for the genus, so it's less hard on motile inverts than the rest of the genus. It's still a Coris though, so it flips everything it can looking for food.

PhantomHalo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H. claudia is pretty mild; should be okay.

H. ornatissimus is claudia's cousin from Hawaii, and is typically pretty mean. Mean enough it often won't tolerate other wrasses. You don't want that one.

Coris venusta. Acts like a Coris, but is on the smaller side for the genus, so it's less hard on motile inverts than the rest of the genus. It's still a Coris though, so it flips everything it can looking for food.

Black leopard and melanurus would be fine to add too then? Thanks for all the help!

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Picking up a new rhomboid, what’s everyone’s current favorite Qt methods for (fairy) wrasse ?
I use Copper Power with hanna checker on all mine. 2.00-2.25 for 14 days then to clean tank and then I use GC or Prazi. With the Rhomboid i would feed GC/Focus food as pretty susceptible to intestinal worms and parasites.

You getting from Jen? I saw she has a couple males and females. i would do a female but up to you.

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Copper Power with hanna checker on all mine. 2.00-2.25 for 14 days then to clean tank and then I use GC or Prazi. With the Rhomboid i would feed GC/Focus food as pretty susceptible to intestinal worms and parasites.

You getting from Jen? I saw she has a couple males and females. i would do a female but up to you.

Im thinking the same, just get the wrasse eating and then try the GC food and maybe do a round of praziquantel in the tank (after done feeding). Yes I saw she got some in, and yes I want a small female, i enjoy watching them grow.

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Im thinking the same, just get the wrasse eating and then try the GC food and maybe do a round of praziquantel in the tank (after done feeding). Yes I saw she got some in, and yes I want a small female, i enjoy watching them grow.
Sounds good!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Umm... I may have ordered 3 more wrasses for delivery next week.... ;Sorry

I may have an issue.;Nailbiting But they are so beautiful!!!
exquisite-2-jpg.1318356

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 39.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back