The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a six line to my new-ish tank today... I have read a lot of people say they turn into jerks but I have had them in my last two tanks.. one of which was a 40g.. they were fine. I did though have a nightmare experience with a kole tang which I got out of the tank yesterday... that was a lot... had to pull all of the rock etc.. new scape came out nice though. So my plan was to add a six line with a couple of others and I added the others yesterday.. coral beauty, royal gramma, and flame hawk.. well the kole went freaking berserk.. it had already been quite aggressive and I was hoping more fish might help it chill.. it went the other direction. Anyways. I got it out thank goodness. The six line is already cruising the rock and eating pods... my coral beauty is sort of palled up with it following it all over - like follow the leader... I haven't seen it be mean with anyone at all, the hawk did charge it once when it got too close but it was over in a second and neither one seemed interested in pursuing that at all.. just a "hey, don't get too close" type of thing... My royal gramma has been hiding but does come out of it's hole to explore a little and the sixer was totally cool with it too.. Whew. They are about the same size so I thought maybe something might happen.. the sixer just seems to want to explore the rock and has no interest in starting stuff with anyone. whew.

Jason Roth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some of you pros to help me out. I need to add more wrasse(s)? to the tank. Tank is 120g bare bottom. And plan to have corals. It’s been cycled since April and I’ve moved my fish from my smaller tank and added a few others. But I need color. Nice bright and brilliant colors and I think I can accomplish it with some wrasse. Bonus if one or two control pests as well as a just in case

I’d love to go through this thread but omg, 600 pages? Lol. I’ll be here all year.

What I have:

Black ice clown pair
Blood red clown
Tomini tang
Yellow flankers wrasse
Coral beauty
Lawnmower blenny
Blue throat trigger

There is another thread about wrasse addiction. I went through those pages and looked up the ones I didn’t know and tried figuring out if they would work in my tank. Rather not have aggression and have them on the hardy side. Took off the Scotts wrasse since I was told they are notorious for getting scared and hurting themselves.

There are so many out there. What are your thoughts on these and what else should I look at?

Orange back fairy
Mccoskers
Ruby longfin (blue or red flasher)
Flame wrasse
Lineatus (big money)
Exquisite
Diamond tail flasher
Feminus wrasse
Pink margin fairy male
Orange back fairy
Earl wrasse
Naoko fairy wrasse
Hooded fairy
Splendid pintail wrasse

I need to figure out how many I can add and if I need to add more than one at a time.

now I’ll start trying to go through some pages here. Thank you.

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I’m no expert. My ruby longfin tries to start **** with every other fish in the tank. I have a smaller 30g. I am planning on re-homing him.
Extremely beautiful fish tho. I would have one again once I get a bigger tank. All I see is the fish flaring up it’s fins at other fish. No fin nipping, no chasing around other fish.

Sophisticated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I purchased a kenya fairy wrasse, I heard they where not that common on the hobby so here are some pictures and a video

IMG_20200919_141106.jpg IMG-20200919-WA0025.jpeg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few other pictures of my Naoko Fairy Wrasse. This is not his fighting or nuptial coloration. He just leisurely swim and yawned in the AM. Display color of him is extremely hard to capture on camera.
NaokoFairy2020092001.jpg
NaokoFairy2020092002.jpg

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw a pic of one of these Green Bird Wrasse:

672_green-bird-wrasse_1.jpg

Has to be one of the weirdest fish I have seen. Now I need a bigger tank so I can have one.. super cool looking fish.
Not the greatest reef fish, however. Large ones can eat small fish.
The mature pair in the 20,000 gallon Long Island tank became enough of an issue that they had to be removed.
I need some of you pros to help me out. I need to add more wrasse(s)? to the tank. Tank is 120g bare bottom. And plan to have corals. It’s been cycled since April and I’ve moved my fish from my smaller tank and added a few others. But I need color. Nice bright and brilliant colors and I think I can accomplish it with some wrasse. Bonus if one or two control pests as well as a just in case

I’d love to go through this thread but omg, 600 pages? Lol. I’ll be here all year.

What I have:

Black ice clown pair
Blood red clown
Tomini tang
Yellow flankers wrasse
Coral beauty
Lawnmower blenny
Blue throat trigger

There is another thread about wrasse addiction. I went through those pages and looked up the ones I didn’t know and tried figuring out if they would work in my tank. Rather not have aggression and have them on the hardy side. Took off the Scotts wrasse since I was told they are notorious for getting scared and hurting themselves.

There are so many out there. What are your thoughts on these and what else should I look at?

Orange back fairy
Mccoskers
Ruby longfin (blue or red flasher)
Flame wrasse
Lineatus (big money)
Exquisite
Diamond tail flasher
Feminus wrasse
Pink margin fairy male
Orange back fairy
Earl wrasse
Naoko fairy wrasse
Hooded fairy
Splendid pintail wrasse

I need to figure out how many I can add and if I need to add more than one at a time.

now I’ll start trying to go through some pages here. Thank you.
If I may, this is a good place to start:

Also, if you consider a lineatus to be big bucks, there are some others on your list that will make you choke. ;)

Jason Roth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the greatest reef fish, however. Large ones can eat small fish.
The mature pair in the 20,000 gallon Long Island tank became enough of an issue that they had to be removed.

If I may, this is a good place to start:

Also, if you consider a lineatus to be big bucks, there are some others on your list that will make you choke. ;)

Thank you. I’ll check the link out. And the lineatus I saw in the 4-500 range. Most of the others when googling them and checking info on live aquaria, they were in the 50-150 range. While price is a factor, right now I need to narrow down a top 10 list and then I can use cost to cut that list. Lol

I might consider a $400-500 wrasse but not till later. Need the tank going for a year or so before I’m comfortable with that purchase.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I’ll check the link out. And the lineatus I saw in the 4-500 range. Most of the others when googling them and checking info on live aquaria, they were in the 50-150 range. While price is a factor, right now I need to narrow down a top 10 list and then I can use cost to cut that list. Lol

I might consider a $400-500 wrasse but not till later. Need the tank going for a year or so before I’m comfortable with that purchase.

google earlei and feminus wrasse and report back price :D

Jason Roth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
google earlei and feminus wrasse and report back price :D

so I couldn’t find the earlie price. One someone sold years ago on here for $450. The feminus I saw $1000 and then love aquaria has a blue striped tamarin for $1200. Same?

I’ve learned that usually It isn’t the look of the fish but where and how they are acquired. Read about the earlie being deep and needing special equipment to get. So I understand but also that wrasse is very pretty. The feminus is cool with the yellow to blue fade but I wouldn’t pay premium because it isn’t the coloring I’m after.

like the gem tang, I think it’s ugly. I’d never buy that even if it was $50. Yet based on where and how they catch them the price is up there.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I couldn’t find the earlie price. One someone sold years ago on here for $450. The feminus I saw $1000 and then love aquaria has a blue striped tamarin for $1200. Same?

I’ve learned that usually It isn’t the look of the fish but where and how they are acquired. Read about the earlie being deep and needing special equipment to get. So I understand but also that wrasse is very pretty. The feminus is cool with the yellow to blue fade but I wouldn’t pay premium because it isn’t the coloring I’m after.

like the gem tang, I think it’s ugly. I’d never buy that even if it was $50. Yet based on where and how they catch them the price is up there.

yes same fish. anampses femininus

earlei is on DD too. and on sale!

edit: oh there's a male on there too

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know the sex of Potters In above picture. Also what to look for when the change starts. I think female but the orange is showing on the body more and is brighter.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know the sex of Potters In above picture. Also what to look for when the change starts. I think female but the orange is showing on the body more and is brighter.
Young male.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back