The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size is your tank?

If the tank is appropriately sized you could easily keep all of those wrasses except the Redbreast. That fish grows to over a foot in length and is not reef safe. It would not only eat any and probably all inverts in your tank it would likely be aggressive towards any other wrasses.

If your tank is fairly large you could actually keep a lot more wrasses than your list (minus the Redbreast). For example I've kept as many as 16 different wrasses at one time in m 72x24 tank.

I highly recommend reading the article sited above as it's invaluable in planning your wrasse additions and the order they go in to the tank. Here's the link again. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/all-about-reef-safe-wrasses-in-aquaria.259894/
I current hve a 75g, but I selected those wrasses because those are the ones I actually liked.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I current hve a 75g, but I selected those wrasses because those are the ones I actually liked.

I understand but what we like/want is not always what's best or right for the tank/inhabitants. There are literally scores of different wrasses you can choose from. Read the article sited above and look at this chart as well to help you choose wisely.

CirrhilabrusComplexes.PNG

Unfortunately the C. ryukyuensis (yellow flanked wrasse) is one of the larger fairy wrasses and probably needs a bigger tank.

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand but what we like/want is not always what's best or right for the tank/inhabitants. There are literally scores of different wrasses you can choose from. Read the article sited above and look at this chart as well to help you choose wisely.

CirrhilabrusComplexes.PNG

Unfortunately the C. ryukyuensis (yellow flanked wrasse) is one of the larger fairy wrasses and probably needs a bigger tank.
The yellow wrasse wasn’t one of my options. I wouldn’t get the breasted wrasse due to how big it gets per your statement. But you said nothing about the other 3 so they would be my choice. I asked can my options be housed together.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The yellow wrasse wasn’t one of my options. I wouldn’t get the breasted wrasse due to how big it gets per your statement. But you said nothing about the other 3 so they would be my choice. I asked can my options be housed together.
The best thing is to spend a little time and search of each of the wrasse species you wan to keep. By doing the search, you will have opinions of multiple reefers who keep this fish and a good general ideal of how he will behave, general requirements. There is nothing that can be subtitle for learning about the animals you keep.
You can ask a general question on if they are going to do well together, and will get opinions of them but there is unlikely that any of the reefers here who keep your specific combination of fish in the tank the same size as your's, or the aquascape the same as your's.

Of the 4 fish you listed, the Yellow Flank require a larger tank. The Redbreast require a much larger tank. The other two should be fine together, however the Leopard require a sand bed to sleep in. Leopard wrasse are delicate and difficult to get establish. They (leopard wrasse) can be keep in a group and will do great in small group, if the tank is large enough.
My Leopards females and male
Leopard2016090501.jpg
MeleagrisLeopard2020080401Male.jpg

There are several variance of Lubbock. I think mine, terminal male below, is most beautiful
LubbockFairyB2019052801.jpg

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best thing is to spend a little time and search of each of the wrasse species you wan to keep. By doing the search, you will have opinions of multiple reefers who keep this fish and a good general ideal of how he will behave, general requirements. There is nothing that can be subtitle for learning about the animals you keep.
You can ask a general question on if they are going to do well together, and will get opinions of them but there is unlikely that any of the reefers here who keep your specific combination of fish in the tank the same size as your's, or the aquascape the same as your's.

Of the 4 fish you listed, the Yellow Flank require a larger tank. The Redbreast require a much larger tank. The other two should be fine together, however the Leopard require a sand bed to sleep in. Leopard wrasse are delicate and difficult to get establish. They (leopard wrasse) can be keep in a group and will do great in small group, if the tank is large enough.
My Leopards females and male
Leopard2016090501.jpg
MeleagrisLeopard2020080401Male.jpg

There are several variance of Lubbock. I think mine, terminal male below, is most beautiful
LubbockFairyB2019052801.jpg
What are the last two wrasses? Lubock and what else

Avocaadotoast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts on compatibility on keeping these 3 wrasses in a 60g cube together? Pink streaked wrasse, McCosker's Wrasse, and Ruby Long-fin Fair Wrasse.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

DVal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got my clearview lid for my waterbox 220.6 and looking to start adding a few wrasse. I currently have 4 tangs, clown, and 2 cleaner shrimp. I'm looking at an 8-line, diamond tail, laboutes, and 2 blue stars. Are most of these pretty compatible? I really like Leopards and would like to eventually add different ones to the list in the future.

DVal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got my clearview lid for my waterbox 220.6 and looking to start adding a few wrasse. I currently have 4 tangs, clown, and 2 cleaner shrimp. I'm looking at an 8-line, diamond tail, laboutes, and 2 blue stars. Are most of these pretty compatible? I really like Leopards and would like to eventually add different ones to the list in the future.

I forgot the radiant with those.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on which 8 line wrasse you are referring to. If it's Paracheilinus octotaenia (8 line flasher wrasse) then yes all of those wrasses are compatible. If it's the Pseudocheilinus octotaenia (8 line wrasse) it's not compatible.

DVal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on which 8 line wrasse you are referring to. If it's Paracheilinus octotaenia (8 line flasher wrasse) then yes all of those wrasses are compatible. If it's the Pseudocheilinus octotaenia (8 line wrasse) it's not compatible.
Sorry, I should have been more specific. It's Paracheilinus octotaenia. Thanks for the input.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts on compatibility on keeping these 3 wrasses in a 60g cube together? Pink streaked wrasse, McCosker's Wrasse, and Ruby Long-fin Fair Wrasse.
I think a cube 60 gal with is 24 inches on each side would be too small. I think a 40 gal breeder would be better. I think the 36 inches length is needed for McCosker’s and Longfin Fairy.
Pink streaked wrasse would be fine in a 24 inch tank.
I keep McCosker and a lot of the flasher and fairy. I only keep the Longfin Fairy briefly. He hied of ?old age after just a few months but I keep a similar species, Naoko Fairy for several years.
Fairy and Flasher swim rather fast when they display. This is just not possible in a 24 inch tank. I don't think they will will run into a wall and break their spine but they will never able to properly display, thus will be un-natural in such a short tank.

McCosker flasher
McCoskeri2018051801resized.jpg

Naoko Fairy
NaokoFairy2019091904.jpg
NaokoFairy2019092401.jpg

Last edited:

Avocaadotoast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a cube 60 gal with is 24 inches on each side would be too small. I think a 40 gal breeder would be better. I think the 36 inches length is needed for McCosker’s and Longfin Fairy.
Pink streaked wrasse would be fine in a 24 inch tank.
I keep McCosker and a lot of the flasher and fairy. I only keep the Longfin Fairy briefly. He hied of ?old age after just a few months but I keep a similar species, Naoko Fairy for several years.
Fairy and Flasher swim rather fast when they display. This is just not possible in a 24 inch tank. I don't think they will will run into a wall and break their spine but they will never able to properly display, thus will be un-natural in such a short tank.

McCosker flasher
McCoskeri2018051801resized.jpg

Naoko Fairy
NaokoFairy2019091904.jpg
NaokoFairy2019092401.jpg
Thanks for the help! In that case I’ll focus on getting a pink streaked wrasse and a possum wrasse

TheSeas

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,dDoing a 120g Reef build and want to add a wrasse to my fish list. My current list:
Yellow Tang, Kole Tang, Royal Gramma, Blue Spotted Jawfish, Pair of Gladiator Clowns, Pair of Bengaii's and a Yellow Watchman Goby.

Any suggestions on a wrasse to add to the mix? Thanks for the recommendations.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back