The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty sure he is dead, I have not seen him in over a month. I have a blue line wrasse in my fish only tank that seems to be doing well.
I would keep waiting, wrasses tend to hide in the sand for weeks just to emerge like nothing happened. Often leopards do that but Halichoeres will do it every so often.

aws2266

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a possum wrasse a few days ago. He's quickly becoming my favorite fish. LFS order a couple yellow coris wrasse, hopefully I'll be adding one of those this weekend.

IMG_0261.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a possum wrasse a few days ago. He's quickly becoming my favorite fish. LFS order a couple yellow coris wrasse, hopefully I'll be adding one of those this weekend.

IMG_0261.jpg
I was going to grab a possum but dropped the idea since last time mine got eaten. I didn’t know if I wanted an urchin or not so I didn’t risk the possum (I probably will need an urchin for the GHA that’s growing).

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super excited!! Just ordered a female blue star wrasse! Had one a few years ago but sold when I moved. I had her for 4 years at the time. Bigger tank now, so hoping to add another wrasse as well. :)
What species of wrasse do you hope to add??
I love the leopards (Not quite hit my dream of owning a black AND a choati, but it’s a start). Blue stars and meleagris are certainly good starting leopards! I’ve started out with a blue star that has grown from 0.5” to 1” in the time I’ve kept it. Here’s a couple of my favourite photos I got of mine just now
B91B9561-BD9C-46E5-8E17-A7418914BEFE.jpeg
CD79C0B1-F33A-49C7-90B2-320F3F7F2A1E.jpeg

Also, a question for anyone:
Is there a wrasse that would be a good transition to go into the choati? Or is there not a wrasse out there that would be good as a “practice” run before heading into the “Hardest” Leopard Wrasse to own and just stick to the original plan of getting either a meleagris of blue star to thrive in my tank for a good 2-3 years if not 5 years (I think this one will last 5 years due to her size and wide acceptance to food) then go for a black and try keep that one alive for Atleast 5 years and finally try the choati (By then I’d assume the original leopard I have now would’ve died since their life spans are similar to that of fairies and flashers at 5-7 years?).

Last edited:

aws2266

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to grab a possum but dropped the idea since last time mine got eaten. I didn’t know if I wanted an urchin or not so I didn’t risk the possum (I probably will need an urchin for the GHA that’s growing).

Is there something I should know about keeping wrasse and an urchin? I've got a purple pincushion urchin.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there something I should know about keeping wrasse and an urchin? I've got a purple pincushion urchin.
Unless the wrasse is absolutely tiny in a small tank you should be fine. I lost a tanakas Pygmy that was 0.5” (Actually I think he was smaller) due to a white pincushion urchin. I think he either died or was on his way out when the urchin got him.

This is interesting, recently she has been going to sleep MUCH later, lights are now on moon and she’s still awake. Although yes my main light is on still.
image.jpg

Accidentally scared her when trying to get a photo of her and the phone wouldn’t focus on her when she came back out and I tried to get a side on photo.
Here’s a tank photo from where I’m sat now, wish I could grab a tank picture with all three of the wrasses in. Also it’s a bit more scale of how small they truly are. Sorry for crappy iPhone pics and the many millions of asterina stars on the sides. I cant get a better photo of them with the iPhone (Such as all the previous photos of my wrasses) due to if I walk up to the tank everyone hides since it’s nighttime for them.
0887A586-7E72-46ED-8111-FD7CBB81E622.jpeg

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But yeah, before I got side tracked by the leopard, I would say you should be just fine since urchins aren’t known to go after fish unless they’re dead already or on their way out. I’ll probably try a tuxedo urchin since I don’t trust the pincushions in my nano as well as I could’ve.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a wrasse that would be a good transition to go into the choati? Or is there not a wrasse out there that would be good as a “practice” run before heading into the “Hardest” Leopard Wrasse to own and just stick to the original plan of getting either a meleagris of blue star to thrive in my tank for a good 2-3 years if not 5 years (I think this one will last 5 years due to her size and wide acceptance to food) then go for a black and try keep that one alive for Atleast 5 years and finally try the choati (By then I’d assume the original leopard I have now would’ve died since their life spans are similar to that of fairies and flashers at 5-7 years?).
I don't think you have to wait that long to try a choati. If you can successfully keep a leopard past the one year mark and you're able to maintain stable tank parameters then you're ready to try one.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you have to wait that long to try a choati. If you can successfully keep a leopard past the one year mark and you're able to maintain stable tank parameters then you're ready to try one.
Thankyou!! I’ll probably wait till I can grab hold of a 6-7’ tank before thinking on the “Expert Only” level wrasses (Choati, Femininus, ect…), for now probably going to stick with the wrasses I own and hope to try after the Jade.

Sgchick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What species of wrasse do you hope to add??
I love the leopards (Not quite hit my dream of owning a black AND a choati, but it’s a start). Blue stars and meleagris are certainly good starting leopards! I’ve started out with a blue star that has grown from 0.5” to 1” in the time I’ve kept it. Here’s a couple of my favourite photos I got of mine just now
B91B9561-BD9C-46E5-8E17-A7418914BEFE.jpeg
CD79C0B1-F33A-49C7-90B2-320F3F7F2A1E.jpeg

That's a pretty blue star ya have there!! I have no idea what other wrasse I would get next, as my last tank wasn't big enough for another. I'll have to see whats available when I'm ready and what will get along fine with my blue wrasse....:)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a pretty blue star ya have there!! I have no idea what other wrasse I would get next, as my last tank wasn't big enough for another. I'll have to see whats available when I'm ready and what will get along fine with my blue wrasse....:)
Thanks, she really is nice however nothing beats my tilefish (He’s so funny to watch). my favourite genera of wrasses are Macropharyngodon and Anampses, looking forward to seeing your wrasse gang build up :)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one wrasse I rarely talk about but do own: Pseudocheilinops ataenia Aka Pink Streak Wrasse.
I never get photos of this fish because he’s so camera shy and just genuinely cryptic, well today when trying to get photos of my Koumansetta hectori doing his thing, I got photobombed haha
048E3460-6905-498A-BC1A-8BA2CF9142F9.jpeg
7F4756D9-5FF4-4521-8CB8-9D738A3FCBE6.jpeg
3414EB17-269D-48C6-AFB1-7FB5F7B17877.jpeg

And a relatively good photo of the two (Not quite the photo I hoped to end up with but not a bad start).
CD791E13-EB26-46DF-8B95-1ABB349E57D7.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one wrasse I rarely talk about but do own: Pseudocheilinops ataenia Aka Pink Streak Wrasse.
I never get photos of this fish because he’s so camera shy and just genuinely cryptic, well today when trying to get photos of my Koumansetta hectori doing his thing, I got photobombed haha
048E3460-6905-498A-BC1A-8BA2CF9142F9.jpeg
7F4756D9-5FF4-4521-8CB8-9D738A3FCBE6.jpeg
3414EB17-269D-48C6-AFB1-7FB5F7B17877.jpeg

And a relatively good photo of the two (Not quite the photo I hoped to end up with but not a bad start).
CD791E13-EB26-46DF-8B95-1ABB349E57D7.jpeg
He’s back at it again, I’ll try get a focused photo and see how good they could actually be haha
Also, an update on the Jade, yellow and black fins have appeared just as his pectoral fins start. Becoming a beautiful specimen, hopefully the LFS don’t mind that he could be a transitioned male by the time he’s returned. In the photo the black spot isn’t quite as visible though it’s certainly not hard to miss in person Atleast!
CE54E861-B131-40B0-929D-DDB58B5701F2.jpeg

Last edited:

kstelz12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've looked all over the internet to try and identify the wrasse I purchased at my LFS. They said it was a male carpenter wrasse, but he/it only has one spike at the front of his dorsal fin. I'm trying to identify him because he's kind of been a bully to my hi-fin goby and two clownfish. Through my research, I also saw that on Live Aquaria the Carpenters Flasher Wrasse has a minimum tank size of 55 gallons. I have a 30 gallon long and wondered if my tank is too small for him/it. The wrasse is a very vibrant Red Orange with blue/purple lines on his face that turn to spots along the body. his tail is rounded and has one point on his dorsal. his fins don't have any significant markings.

What kind of Wrasse.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've looked all over the internet to try and identify the wrasse I purchased at my LFS. They said it was a male carpenter wrasse, but he/it only has one spike at the front of his dorsal fin. I'm trying to identify him because he's kind of been a bully to my hi-fin goby and two clownfish. Through my research, I also saw that on Live Aquaria the Carpenters Flasher Wrasse has a minimum tank size of 55 gallons. I have a 30 gallon long and wondered if my tank is too small for him/it. The wrasse is a very vibrant Red Orange with blue/purple lines on his face that turn to spots along the body. his tail is rounded and has one point on his dorsal. his fins don't have any significant markings.

What kind of Wrasse.jpg
So, from what I can tell that’s a female. Have you got any closer pictures of her that capture the detailed body?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back