Thermometer

Kalen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am guessing this has been talked about before. But don't feel like scrolling through pages and pages to find out.

Anyways I am new to saltwater. I have a 30 rimless cube reef tank. I have freshwater tanks as well. I was using the glass thermometers however in the last year I have had two just break on me from being in the water and the broke in the tank. The mercury from the thermometers got in the tank which cause my fish to get sick in freshwater. Now since I am new to saltwater I don't want the same thing to happen to my reef tank. I want a thermometer that is durable, reliable, accurate. Can anyone give me suggestions or help me on how to avoid this in salt water. Thanks

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's gota be something more to it than them just breaking. Glass doesn't just break like that. Do you have anything that may have knocked the thermometer of the wall and have it crack on a rock or something? Still seems unlikely, but it all I can think of at this time of night lol.
The electronic temperature probes are supposed to be good.

OP
OP
Kalen

Kalen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah I don't have anything that could be knocking them in. The first tank it was a tetra freshwater tank the second was a west African cichlid tank with nothing that could if damaged them. I was thinking about probes. However like I said in my , post I don't was it by to be jumping all over the place. I want it accurate.

Eric B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a glass thermometer in the past but I never left it in the tank all the time. I would just measure it then remove and clean off with fresh water and put in its case until I used it again. I now however use the apex temp probe hooked up to my apex but I also from time to time check against a glass thermometer because I have had 1 fail on the apex before. You can also try one of the new style cobalt heaters which are indestructible and have a temp reading built right in and also have a run dry protection and then have a glass thermometer that you can check the tank weekly with but not leave in all the time.

A glass thermometer breaking in your salt water tank will have negative effects just like your freshwater systems. Also welcome over to the saltwater side of the hobby and best of luck to you.

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look on Amazon for a "general" aquarium digital thermometer. Has a remote probe and it has an alarm that you can set if the tank gets to hot or cold.

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the coralife digital thermometers with the probe in the tank and works well, very accurate. You can also use a glass thermometer to check the accuracy of said thermometer or other version but not leave it in the tank. I would do that until you gain confidence in the new probe.

OP
OP
Kalen

Kalen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I was thinking about the probe thermometers just was sure which one was good. You read so many reviews sometimes it's hard to say which is good. And if your like me I would rather get it right the first time then waste the money.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using the glass thermometers however in the last year I have had two just break on me from being in the water and the broke in the tank. The mercury from the thermometers got in the tank which cause my fish to get sick in freshwater. Now since I am new to saltwater I don't want the same thing to happen to my reef tank. I want a thermometer that is durable, reliable, accurate. Can anyone give me suggestions or help me on how to avoid this in salt water. Thanks

Unless you had a thermometer from a long time ago, it likely didn't contain mercury. Hobby thermometers sold now do not contain mercury. If the fluid was anything except silver colored, it wasn't mercury.

Those with red fluid just have alcohol dyed red. It is not likely to be toxic in a marine system. The metal weights in some might be a concern if left to corrode, but not the fluid. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kalen

Kalen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh thanks for correcting me. I was under the impression the metal balls in the base of the thermometers contained mercury. I still don't like the fact the I have had two break over the last year. I think I'm going with a digital with probe thermometers.

OP
OP
Kalen

Kalen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thermometer I went with was a reef octopus digital heater and thermometer.
uploadfromtaptalk1412397296209.jpg

Fish76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just buy an Apex Jr. controller for $240 and it comes with a free temp probe....haha!! I would just buy a cheap digital temp probe, lots of them on Amazon. Easy to read, pretty accuarte for what most of use it for and fairly inexpensive.

OP
OP
Kalen

Kalen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would if I had a computer at home with internet, but I don't I use my phone for internet needs saved me a little money. I would love to have a apex system but that part has stopped me from getting one

Fish76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are a smart one. Avoid the Apex at all costs, it will slowly swallow your wallet with all the add on'so.....ooo but how sweet it is to feed the fish 2500mi away and mess with there minds while I randomly mess with the lighting at 3 in the morning:smile:

OP
OP
Kalen

Kalen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe me I would love to have it but it not cost effective for me plus knowing me once I got it I would add everything I could to it. I only I was home enough to enjoy the tank I have, but I'm not. It is what it is. I'll be start a 90 build soon. Can't wait.

OP
OP
Kalen

Kalen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be starting a knew thread when I get to that. Still fine tuning my shopping list. And still figuring a few things out as well. Dang it is late. Just got off work a few hours ago and have to go back for a double shift. Can't sleep fun...

Maybe I'll start the thread before the build so I can get ideas or suggestions from other as well as every ones opinion.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kalen

Kalen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fyi Just made a thread in the diy thread on my 90 build

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 89 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 55 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back