They keep dying…

Scags02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my fiancé and I started a new reef tank, we have 2 clowns, 1 cleaner shrimp and 3 bluer leg hermit crabs in a 29 gallon tank. Everything was thriving until…. Yesterday we got a diamond goby and a Midas blenny fish. The fish seemed really stressed and I fear my fiancé rushed the acclimation process. Long story short this morning the diamond goby is dried up on top of the tank and the blenny is at the bottom of the tank doa…. We did a water change everything seemed fine and we went ahead and got another diamond….. maybe too soon? Everything seemed fine until we just got home and now the clown fishies are at the top gasping diamond is gasping and the cleaner shrimp is alive but not moving. Only thing he said was the ph was too low…

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fish are gasping it could be a lack of oxygen, but I'm just guessing at this point. Do you have supplemental flow in your tank, ie: wavemakers? It might be helpful to know all of your tank parameters as well, ie: salinity, temperature, pH, nitrates, phosphates, ammonia, etc. - in addition to what equipment and filtration you're using.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tank? Too soon for sand sifters. Here’s a good article on them.

OP
OP
Scags02

Scags02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I’ll have to look more into them because we’ve only had an issue after introducing the goby

OP
OP
Scags02

Scags02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fish are gasping it could be a lack of oxygen, but I'm just guessing at this point. Do you have supplemental flow in your tank, ie: wavemakers? It might be helpful to know all of your tank parameters as well, ie: salinity, temperature, pH, nitrates, phosphates, ammonia, etc. - in addition to what equipment and filtration you're using.
We do have a wave maker yes, salinity is at 1.025, temperature is 78 and I’m not sure what the other readings are we decided to do a water change at this point…. Oh, nitrates and ammonia we have testers for not sure about phosphate. Any tester you recommend?

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Age of tank ? pic of tank ?
at this point all I can offer is add airstone if possible ...

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 55 39.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 16 11.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 39 28.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back