Things that make you want to hang up your fins...

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Lol oh my nephews will be the death of me. Even my lfs remembers me because of them and how bad I panicked. Those are good memories and yes I can definitely relate. Thanks for the warm thoughts from everyone it gives me motivation. I’m not able to do anything with my tank yet (aka take care of it), but hoping to soon. The pt and op are not fun and painful specially if it’s cold out side.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Came home from my first day back at work after a blissful week long vacation leading up to Christmas, only to find that my HOB skimmer has somehow malfunctioned today. During the process it created a siphon and poured about 5 gallons of saltwater onto my living room floor, which then proceeded to gather in one corner and pour into my basement....all over my husband's childhood keepsakes and memorabilia ;Dead;Dead;Dead.

He's too busy sucking all the water up right now to be furious yet but I know it's coming o_O...if anyone's looking for me I'll be in the backyard in my tent. With my fish. Ugh.

This is the kind of thing that makes me want to call the local reef club and say "just come and get it". I can't find the crying emoji but insert it "here"...
So sorry this happened! These types of incidents are definitely the pain factor to owning a reef tank.

Isabel’s Hobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can relate to that I remember seeing a post about someone’s nephew urinating in their tank while they came back from a vacation and caugh him red handed doing it when she came back
Why would anybody why ???? To me that’s just not only nasty but cruel you would not feed your dog poison why poison the fishtank ? !!!

Oldsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it's my spinal problems. I fractured my spine during my service in the USNavy. I was lucky to not have cord damage but my back is a mess after multiple surgeries and decades of wear above the surgical sites. I'm in pain 24-7 and had another unfortunate event last month when I was tripped up by my dog. He was behind my feet as a was positioning myself to get into bed. I fell backwards into the bedside table and fractured 5 vertabral end plates in the process. OUCH!! My doctor tells me that this is going to take a good 8 weeks to heal. I also have awful burning into my left thigh that a neurosurgeon wants to operate on (crushed nerves). If I go ahead with it I won't be able to perform husbandry for 6 months. Even after last month's fall, I kept up the maintenance routine - but only with the help of strong pain killers. I'm 64 and love my 350 gallon set-up. It hums along beautifully and provides me great relaxation. There's my Banggai breeder next to it, running off the same sump. The male is about to release his 10th clutch of fry, so there's more work coming up to raise them all. Quitting this hobby is not an easy option. I live alone! I'd like to carry on...

adam finley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny something similar happened to me on Christmas Eve while at home. Watching tv and started hearing a sizzling noise in my living room looked at my wife and said what was that. She didn’t know but heard the sound again and realized it’s coming from my tank underneath. Opened up the cabinet and realized my skimmer wasn’t working and it smelled like burnt plastic. After a few moments of investigating realized not only did my skimmer fry out but also the power strip outlet it was plugged into fried out. Well there went what little Christmas bonus I had.

Greatdane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny something similar happened to me on Christmas Eve while at home. Watching tv and started hearing a sizzling noise in my living room looked at my wife and said what was that. She didn’t know but heard the sound again and realized it’s coming from my tank underneath. Opened up the cabinet and realized my skimmer wasn’t working and it smelled like burnt plastic. After a few moments of investigating realized not only did my skimmer fry out but also the power strip outlet it was plugged into fried out. Well there went what little Christmas bonus I had.
That’s sounds like fun :(

TheOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came home from my first day back at work after a blissful week long vacation leading up to Christmas, only to find that my HOB skimmer has somehow malfunctioned today. During the process it created a siphon and poured about 5 gallons of saltwater onto my living room floor, which then proceeded to gather in one corner and pour into my basement....all over my husband's childhood keepsakes and memorabilia ;Dead;Dead;Dead.

He's too busy sucking all the water up right now to be furious yet but I know it's coming o_O...if anyone's looking for me I'll be in the backyard in my tent. With my fish. Ugh.

This is the kind of thing that makes me want to call the local reef club and say "just come and get it". I can't find the crying emoji but insert it "here"...

I left my rodi water running to my ato and forgot about it once. When I came home late the next evening the entire room was flooded. This was on our year old newly built house.

It's not the end of the world. I'm sure with a lil sweet talk he will get over it. ;)

Fishtheatre

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My introduction to the saltwater hobby was a brand new sump having a leak after filling it and the tank then noticing water puddling up on my wood floor. I also went through what was either ick or mv wiping my tank the first time then killing 50% of my fish the second time before I decided that a QT is necessary. Which was a pain in the butt convincing the wife to put another tank in the house. My DT being 110 tall and QT 30 long. A return pump hose also sprang a leak which leaked a decent amount before being noticed. So...it’s been rough. My tank is now over a year old fowlr that I think might be reef ready but I realize the light my LFS soldme saying it was adequate for corals is certainly not. So I forsee a pretty penny being spent in the near future. This all combined had me questioning my determination and commitment but i’m still on board. (For now!)

adam finley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it was a bummer but my skimmer kinda sucked anyways so I guess it was something I wanted to replace anyways. However, I wanted to replace it at my leisure and not because I was forced too not to mention I’ll be a week without one plus break in time.

Ocean Lotion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to keep a mixed reef long term made me get out of the hobby after twenty some years. Even a year or two works but eventually it sucks. Still have my 2 tanks and will set them up again some time. Will put all corals that like the same water perameters in. So tempting to add sps into a softy tank. Someone will eventually suffer. Also not having the tanks in the living room made it less enjoyable.

djreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a pipe break in the wall of the master bedroom. Long story short, I broke my toe moving furniture out of harms way. While I was out taking care of that, Serv-Pro came in to do clean up (insurance referral) and proceded to spray anti-mold all over the house. when I returned, I watched friends (mostly angel fish) I had kept for 13 years slowly suffocate. I haven’t had a system in my house since.

mdbronco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sunday before this Christmas I had a big leak coming from my sump. I tore everything out before I could find the issue and fix. Water everywhere and my day completely lost. Then on Christmas Eve at 10pm my return pump crapped out. Luckily I had a spare on hand but again....partner was not pleased.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 20.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back