Things That You Never Thought You Would Add To Your Aquarium?

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Chalk...powdered chalk to be exact. Mix it with some RODI water and dose the tank! Sparkly clear water overnight. Just make sure to have a skimmer for filter sock/floss to pull it out.

For those questioning...this is the DIY version of KZ Coral Snow that they charge you $30 for. A $10 bag of chalk will last a lifetime.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Chalk...powdered chalk to be exact. Mix it with some RODI water and dose the tank! Sparkly clear water overnight. Just make sure to have a skimmer for filter sock/floss to pull it out.

For those questioning...this is the DIY version of KZ Coral Snow that they charge you $30 for. A $10 bag of chalk will last a lifetime.
Now this, i never heard of. I gotta look this one up.

Edit: never would have thought!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pinkstreak isn't common atm, are they?
If you can. I'd get another and see if it helps.

Makes me think the wrasse was eating something bothering the clam.
It’s the same thoughts here - My LFS has a possum and a pinkstreak and I’ll grab the pinkstreak as it’s an excellent CUC member but the issue is it was rather discoloured and pale but I don’t remember if they were doing copper or not.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It’s the same thoughts here - My LFS has a possum and a pinkstreak and I’ll grab the pinkstreak as it’s an excellent CUC member but the issue is it was rather discoloured and pale but I don’t remember if they were doing copper or not.
Do find out. If eating and no abnormalities to the body and scales. Pale color can come from many factors. Stress, meds, water quality, aggressive tank mates. So much to coincided.

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What does the chalk do? Does it just bind with debris and get pulled out in the sock or skimmer or is there a special chemical reaction?

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What does the chalk do? Does it just bind with debris and get pulled out in the sock or skimmer or is there a special chemical reaction?

Binds to some organics, especially yellowing pigments.

It is also known to choke vermetid snails and kill them. Mike Paletta talks about this in one of his videos.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did the bottle do? It’s actually brought up my curiosity of could I have a clean bottle in a reef.
It's fine. I may have 9 or 10 of them in there someplace.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Radiant/fire urchin. Can't resist the glowing rows of lights on them!

3E519540-495E-4843-BBBB-42B6FD294204.jpeg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get that Radiant Urchin from???
I want one!!!
Pacific Rim. Not a photo of mine (just got acclimated last night), but mine looks very similar. I've also seen them with neon green as opposed to neon blue 'lights'. Note that they are very venomous (longspines are a pushover compared to these), hence the name "fire", as in "arghhh - my hand feels like it's on fire!!"

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Could you tell me where you buy it from by chance? I’ve been reefing wanting to get rid of the yellow tinge but I don’t want any ozone!!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Radiant/fire urchin. Can't resist the glowing rows of lights on them!

3E519540-495E-4843-BBBB-42B6FD294204.jpeg
My LFS has a GIANT one of these (Atleast 4.5 inches across if not 5) in with 3-4 others. I’d love one if their venom didn’t scare me so much - I’d hate to be stung by a foxface let alone a fire urchin.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already knew a lot about SW gobies because I have a serious addiction to them so for me it was a pom pom crab and a spotted coral croucher. I would love to have a conch and urchin but don't have room in my 5g. I'm always limited by size at the moment. :)

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get that Radiant Urchin from???
I want one!!!
My LFS got a shipment of them in Saturday but I believe this is the only one that survived. He made it through the acclimation and his first night in the DT (moving halfway across), so I rewarded him with his own seaweed snack. Yes, the blue lights are that vivid under LEDs - no Photoshop trickery here.

IMG_1227.jpg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS has a GIANT one of these (Atleast 4.5 inches across if not 5) in with 3-4 others. I’d love one if their venom didn’t scare me so much - I’d hate to be stung by a foxface let alone a fire urchin.
The funny thing is I used to have a pair of them in my 25-gallon (green and blue 'lighting'), but I didn't realize they were venomous at the time (oops!) I'd like another 2-3 at some point as they seem to be hardier than green urchins.

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The funny thing is I used to have a pair of them in my 25-gallon (green and blue 'lighting'), but I didn't realize they were venomous at the time (oops!) I'd like another 2-3 at some point as they seem to be hardier than green urchins.

I’m searching the Internet for Radiant Urchins - tough to find!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back