Things to Consider When Choosing a Lighting System

Discussion in 'Aquarium Lighting By Dana Riddle' started by Dana Riddle, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle Well-Known Member Staff Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Expert Contributor Article Contributor

The original focus of the research for that MACNA project was to explore the possibility that alkalinity, acting as the inorganic carbon source, would impact (probably increase) the rate of photosynthesis. It did, although we should be careful in extrapolating results. The second thrust was to investigate if shallow tide pool corals could adapt to high intensity light (they. Porites species, could not and needed surprisingly little light. This is the second case I examined. The other was a Pocillopora damicornis, and it too reached a maximum rate of photosynthesis at relatively little light.) These results suggest that these corals have a maximum light requirement and it is not unlimited adaptation and it is probably safe to apply these observations to other corals containing these specific clades - almost certainly C15 for the Porites.) Water motion was, again, investigated - would it increase the rate of photosynthesis under a given amount of light? It did. And, finally, where did zooxanthellate inhabit these corals (it was mostly in the shaded portion of these tide pool corals.) So, lighting in and of itself, is not the only factor affecting photosynthesis. Hence I wrote 'Things to Consider.'

MnFish1 and Grey Guy like this.

2. Grey Guy

Grey Guy Well-Known Member

Thank you for reiterating your points. My interest is in the popular idea that only something that produces a PAR of 300 at desired depth will suffice for optimum SPS growth. According to what you are saying, we can not make such generalizations. Without further tasting we can not say for sure if 100 PAR or 300 PAR is ideal for any particular species of SPS.

3. Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle Well-Known Member Staff Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Expert Contributor Article Contributor

You are correct. What I can say is that Hawaiian tide pool Porites (lobata?) and Pocillopora damicornis will saturate photosynthetically at relatively low PAR values. If we examine the peer-reviewed literature, this is consistent with my observations.

Grey Guy likes this.
  4. sghera64

sghera64 Well-Known Member

I grow goniopora with 70-100 PAR beneath MH and T5. Also torch coral and hammers and they all do well once they acclimate. Oh, and I have have a giant blue clam there too. All are on the bottom at 70-100 PAR.

5. sghera64

sghera64 Well-Known Member

That's a sweet tank.

If you want to take it slow, why not start on one end of the tank with some different inexpensive corals that you want to test? Then only put the lighting you might ultimately want (more expensive probably) on that end and just T-5 supplemental over the rest since it is fish-only.

Grey Guy likes this.
  6. underwaterworld

underwaterworld Member

Thanks for the info.

Dana Riddle likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted