Things to Consider When Choosing a Lighting System

Tom Davey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Full spectrum supply to corals should work, but consider the alternative: provide them an alternative, keep it constant and they will adjust to the light. Either way, the key is consistency (no change).

A general heuristic is that you lose one primary color (R-O-Y-G-B-I-V) for every 10 feet of depth (but it depends on water quality and what else is and under the water (sand, rock, algae). So, a coral that breaks off of a colony at 10 feet and gets swept away to a new location that is 20 feet away will adjust to a new color spectrum.
Thank you very much.

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do red and green spectrums do for corals?

Some of the chlorophyll in the corals tissue get some benefit from the red light:

https://sbreeflights.com/content/7-faq

You can see there is a peak of beneficial light in the 660 range for chlorophyll-A. I don’t know about green. That may be just for aesthetics to the human eye.

gabeJLFT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anybody know of a place that sells par meters for not a lot of money or maybe on amazon

Mike T IL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been doing a lot of research on what lighting to go with. Your information was very helpful.

Nep2nRevision3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
· What sort of water moving devices will you use? Water surface agitation causes waves that can focus light in what most hobbyists call ‘glitter lines.’ Water motion can also affect the rate of photosynthesis.
It seems I've heard/read somewhere that the focusing of light due to surface agitation is a benefit to corals. I read everything I can put my hands on that is written by notable authors (and yes ‘The Captive Reef’ is in my collection). Is this a generally accurate statement?

Nep2nRevision3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a new guy to lighting and reading this...all I see is an info dump and no real answers, just a bunch of questions. Even if I went down and answered every question on this list...I still don't end up with an answer to what light to use...or even a general idea of what's better in my scenario.

With that criticism, I'll make a suggestion. If there is interest in helping to get people started, how about a basics of lighting 101 that has general descriptions with pros and cons of lighting types and maybe some example scenarios with appropriate lighting?

Just a thought. Thanks.

Some of your list is helpful and other parts are general information with no stated pro or con to its application. I appreciate you sharing knowledge. I respect your position on not recommending a brand. Most helpful certainly to me and Mr. Shaw and I am sure others as well would be what characteristics to look for in lighting equipment specifically for the best overall impact on our tanks. There are so many variables and equipment available. Cheap, expensive and every type and lamp in between. So if all light will provide basic needs for corals I'll just go get half a dozen LED aquarium flood bulbs for 20 each. Seriously though I am at that point of choosing a good light to start with. Will start out with fish only and gradually introduce corals. So with the questions some answers or impact of various characteristics would be great.

I think you've may have missed the intended message Dana is sending. These many questions are the exact reason he DOESN'T generally make recommendations. So many variables, personal preferences and financial considerations. The questions asked are to get you thinking and investigating based on how you would respond. There is no one answer but many many answers. I.E. I have implemented T12 VHOs and metal halides and had great success with both (really hate the T12 VHOs went the way of the dinosaur) but now I run LEDs. My current choice is partly driven by the fact that I didn't want to deal with the heat issues that metal halides present and that my tanks water depth is 30", kind or ruled out T5s. I also like the programmability and control I have with my LEDs. I can program spectrum, on-off and ramp times and intensity from an Apple app. I'm also more able to afford these lights than I would have been 10 - 12 years ago. I think Dana has provided an excellent tool to get us started, it was never intended to be the answer.

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems I've heard/read somewhere that the focusing of light due to surface agitation is a benefit to corals. I read everything I can put my hands on that is written by notable authors (and yes ‘The Captive Reef’ is in my collection). Is this a generally accurate statement?
Yes. I have a paper that looked at effects of the caustic network ("glitter") on rates of photosynthesis (increased). The problem is that it isn't possible (at least in my experiences) to replicate oceanic waves and their focusing effects in home aquaria.

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you've may have missed the intended message Dana is sending. These many questions are the exact reason he DOESN'T generally make recommendations. So many variables, personal preferences and financial considerations. The questions asked are to get you thinking and investigating based on how you would respond. There is no one answer but many many answers. I.E. I have implemented T12 VHOs and metal halides and had great success with both (really hate the T12 VHOs went the way of the dinosaur) but now I run LEDs. My current choice is partly driven by the fact that I didn't want to deal with the heat issues that metal halides present and that my tanks water depth is 30", kind or ruled out T5s. I also like the programmability and control I have with my LEDs. I can program spectrum, on-off and ramp times and intensity from an Apple app. I'm also more able to afford these lights than I would have been 10 - 12 years ago. I think Dana has provided an excellent tool to get us started, it was never intended to be the answer.
Thanks Nep2nRev1. There are plenty of general references on light required for corals. The issue becomes very complicated when we try to take corals from different biotopes and throw them into a glass box illuminated with unnatural light (almost all reef tanks are 'mixed' reefs.) I have spent countless hours suggesting proper illumination where the hobbyist didn't like the color of the light. After almost 30 years of writing/speaking about lighting, I do tend to shy away from specific recommendations, particularly on spectral quality. There is no universal best light. Successful hobbyists research the requirements of their captive animals, purchase some sort of light-measuring device, and apply their knowledge.

Nep2nRevision3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I have a paper that looked at effects of the caustic network ("glitter") on rates of photosynthesis (increased). The problem is that it isn't possible (at least in my experiences) to replicate oceanic waves and their focusing effects in home aquaria.
Understood. I would be interested in reading the referenced paper, is it available?

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understood. I would be interested in reading the referenced paper, is it available?
Walsh, P. and L. Legendre, 1983. Photosynthesis of natural phytoplankton under high frequency light fluctuations simulating those prodced by sea surface waves. Limnology and Oceanography. 28:688-697.
Google the authors' names, date, and limnology and the abstracts pop up - maybe even the complete article somewhere.

Nep2nRevision3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was indeed able to find the referenced paper. Though a bit above my pay grade, a good read nonetheless. I found it interesting that the absorption rates of the different light colors were affected at different percentages by surface waves. As stated, we can't replicate sea surface wave motion in our small aquaria. But I would imagine that, though probably immeasurable, the magnification created by surface motion in our aquaria does positively affect the photosynthetic animals we care for.
Thanks again.

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IM FINALLY GETTING A REEFER 750XXL GOIN SPS DOMINANT I HAVE 4 G4 PROS ALREADY WOULD I BE GOOD WITH THAT OR DO I NEED MORE OR GO ANOTHER DIRECTION AS FAR AS LIGHTS

ukgeoff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up with a Radion G5 and one thing I didn't factor into my choice was the noise of the cooling fan. If I had known how noisy the Radion fan is, I would've chosen a different light, with passive cooling.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back