Thinking about adding another aquarium? Then you should know this...

How many of you have more than ONE saltwater aquarium?

• I have more than one saltwater aquarium

Votes: 382 46.5%
  • Only one, but I am setting up another one now

Votes: 67 8.2%
  • Only one, but I am thinking about adding another

Votes: 111 13.5%
  • Only one and that's enough for now

Votes: 227 27.6%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 34 4.1%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Today I was thinking about how many of us have more than one saltwater reef aquarium and if it's actually a good idea or not. The thought of a brand new tank, with new equipment and a new "clean slate" does seem quite attractive. More coral, more fish, more fun right? Is it a good idea? Today I want to hear from all of you crazies who have more than one aquarium.

1. What would you say to someone who is thinking of setting up a second aquarium?

2. What is one PRO and one CON to setting up a second saltwater tank?

image via @Coastie Reefer
597F5C4A-13E9-4969-956E-46BA6A09F282.jpg

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two a 90 and a 55. The 55 was turned into a reef this year. The 90 been up since 2014 the 55 up since 2016
20210425_183720.jpg

20210425_183840.jpg

I have a third thats not mine but I'm in charge of is a 40 breeder. Been up since March 2021.
20210426_073831.jpg

Have what you are willing to take care. Keep the second stupid simple. If you make it too much you will let it go a little from time to time.

Pro cons. Cons More work more expense.
Pro different corals and fish inverts and such.

Last edited:
OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually advise against it tbh. I absolutely love this hobby and my fish, corals, tanks, etc., but it would be nice if I didn't lose sleep every time I went on vacation worrying about things. Inb4 "get an apex" - I have an apex with a trident, and I have 2 webcams pointed at my tank, still doesn't change the fact that something goes wrong every single time I go out of town.

Dania

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No saltwater tanks for me but I have one freshwater and when I get rid of a bookcase I'll be getting a 20 gallon long. Split it for two bettas and see if I can find a divider that Kuhli loaches can fit through but the bettas can't. After that I will be done.

vabben

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One saltwater, two FW (My Peacock cichlid spawn regularly, so one is a grow-out tank)

My second SW tank is in the works, 135 gallon. Just collecting parts now, pumps, UV, apex, etc.

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pro: the ability to incorporate. lessons-learned in a new tank without losing the growth and history of the older tank
having a place to timeout conflicting fish or inverts
con: the tendency of favoring the new tank to the detriment of the first one.
I have one FW DT, two SW DT's with sumps. a FW QT and a SW QT. i think i am maxed out until i put a pond in the back yard.

RipVanWinkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my second SW tank running now and 5-6 fresh tanks. I’m learning to try and make tanks as easy to manage as possible, and not overstocking because all these water changes suck. So yes get another tank but do it right, pros are more fish of course cons more time worrying about tank things

swiss2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 tanks set up and working on a 3rd.
1. First thing I would say, If you are married or have a significant other, have them sign of on the endeavor. My wife is a patient women but with this third tank (180) I’m testing my marriage. We compromised and I promised this will be my last one. Also I have to get rid of the 4th and the 5th tank sitting in the garage.

If all that is good then I would say do it! It’s I love the setup process and the struggles of setting up a new tank and enjoying the success of it up and running.

2. Well depending on how big your tanks are here are the CONS: water changes are a pain, more salt, more time feeding and testing, more money, just multiply everything by 2.
PROS: More room, more fish and more corals. If ever one tanks crashes you have the second tank up and running (as long as they are separate systems). Oh and most of all more enjoyment!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2X the headache but 3x the enjoyment! Moving stuff between them is a big perk...

I've run as many as 4 SW tanks at once. Now I have the 500G wall tank and a 180 "reef". I use reef in quotes because it's basically cabbage, kenya tree, and texas trash palys at this point... lol

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I was thinking about how many of us have more than one saltwater reef aquarium and if it's actually a good idea or not. The thought of a brand new tank, with new equipment and a new "clean slate" does seem quite attractive. More coral, more fish, more fun right? Is it a good idea? Today I want to hear from all of you crazies who have more than one aquarium.

1. What would you say to someone who is thinking of setting up a second aquarium?

2. What is one PRO and one CON to setting up a second saltwater tank?

image via @Coastie Reefer
597F5C4A-13E9-4969-956E-46BA6A09F282.jpg
2 not a big deal. When you get to 4 or 5 things start getting neglected and family/friends think you're going through some type of breakdown LOL

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Welcome to the club.

2. Pro: more room for more variety
Con: more upkeep = more money/time

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%

Back