Thinking about Hyposalinity in my new 400 Gallon display

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay, Curious does Hyposalinity kill Aiptasia and other LR pest?

I'm not positive, but I think Aiptasia will survive hypo. I know that they THRIVE at low salinity like 1.018 or so.

Other pests? Not sure either - maybe mantis shrimp would die off. Sponges will die. Some algae also can't make the transition.

Jay

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my salinity down to 1.011 and tried my hardest to get it down to 48 hours but could not make enough water. One more adjustment and tweaking I will be at that mark and will put a ATO on my sump.

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish are doing pretty good - I like this method so far given its ease of use and its definately removing nutrients that have leeched out of my rocks for the past 3 months. I do regret I decided to keep 4 Acanthurus tangs, i feel these type of tangs belong in a 1000 gallon+ tank.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First day of hypo at 1.009.

Now is the tricky part - you don't want to drop to 1.008, and if you go above 1.010, the process won't work as well. Kind of like walking on the edge of a razor. The fish all look o.k. though?

Jay

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now is the tricky part - you don't want to drop to 1.008, and if you go above 1.010, the process won't work as well. Kind of like walking on the edge of a razor. The fish all look o.k. though?

Jay
Thanks. Fish look good. However few things I noticed I wouldn't want to repeat.
Your right about the 48hr part. After 48 hr I made an adjustment and turned of closed loop and uv for 20 mins. All fish where normal besides powder blue. Was swimming frantically for a good amount to of time. Also temp dropped everything I made adjustment. Not by more 2 degrees but I feel the ich parasite may have gone into survival mode given the way the powder was acting

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video is little deceiving, 5 fish where Def effected by the ich. Management maybe possible in a tank w/o achilles and powder but I find I'm left with little room for error in my husbandry. I don't want nutrition of fish to be a life or death situation or if my uv doesn't work or aggressive (which is constant)

I may never add another fish to this system again and do my best to Qt everything

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run your skimmer wet, didn’t read this on your posts but I think it’s very important to run it wet to help combat ammonia spikes during hypo. I experienced a spike during my hypo treatment in my display tank, but upon reviewing my notes I’m pretty sure it was due to the only fish I lost from ich. Never found a body. Take a look at my post there’s a good chunk of information and a full detailed experience.

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run your skimmer wet, didn’t read this on your posts but I think it’s very important to run it wet to help combat ammonia spikes during hypo. I experienced a spike during my hypo treatment in my display tank, but upon reviewing my notes I’m pretty sure it was due to the only fish I lost from ich. Never found a body. Take a look at my post there’s a good chunk of information and a full detailed experience.
Good to know bc I am already running pretty wet. Fish seem good but slightly not as active

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hypo salinity reduced my skimmer performance significantly. I dont have many filter socks handy but may need to run them and build a tray for my sponge media to remove detrius. My fish are eating normally but i can tell they seem more relaxed then I am used to see. No more wasted movement besides eating.

Justin_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done hypo twice in my current display tank. I removed inverts, macroalgae and corals. I scrubbed my rocks to minimize die off of algae and sponges and I siphoned my shallow sand bed well. Both times I dropped the salinity over 4 days and dosed Microbacter 7 (not sure if it made much difference but I never had any detectable ammonia. I did hypo for 4 weeks each time. The first time I did hypo I don't think I held the tank steady enough at 1.009 because ich came back a month after salinity was back at 1.025. So I started over and was much more careful about salinity. Again, no ammonia. It's been a year since I did hypo and no signs of ich at all.

The only annoying part was keeping my corals and inverts in a QT tank for 3 months but it was worth it.

Justin_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something else that I learned -- without good nutrient export in hypo, hair algae grew out of control and that hypo hair algae had no problem surviving in sea water lol...

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got decent skimmer performance in 12 hr
20220328_102733.jpg

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done hypo twice in my current display tank. I removed inverts, macroalgae and corals. I scrubbed my rocks to minimize die off of algae and sponges and I siphoned my shallow sand bed well. Both times I dropped the salinity over 4 days and dosed Microbacter 7 (not sure if it made much difference but I never had any detectable ammonia. I did hypo for 4 weeks each time. The first time I did hypo I don't think I held the tank steady enough at 1.009 because ich came back a month after salinity was back at 1.025. So I started over and was much more careful about salinity. Again, no ammonia. It's been a year since I did hypo and no signs of ich at all.

The only annoying part was keeping my corals and inverts in a QT tank for 3 months but it was worth it.
Thanks for your advice, I may give Microbacter a try. Though I doubt i will have any ammonia spike since my tank is only 3 months old with nothing really to kill on the rock. my nitrates where very high to begin with and biological filter is pretty robust given my nitrates are 55PPM. I removed most of the 100Lb of old LR from the sump - which was the cause of most of the nutrients being very high before adding fish.

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didnt feel confident in reading the 1.009 - most time i felt i was in-between 1.010 so i reduced it slightly and put ATO on the sump. I am 100% officially at 1.008

Fish are doing good.

Now its time to build a foam tray for biological filter, build a Algae turf scrubber, and do some wire managment. This should help pass the 30 days since I'll probably need 5 weeks.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 48 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.7%
Back