Thinking of doing a reef tank

William Martin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello my name is Bill. I have been into fresh water aquariums for about 12 year or so. My wife and I have been discussing doing a reef tank. So I am starting my research now with books and local fish stores and now this forum. So being a newbie to saltwater I will be going through the threads and asking a lot of questions. Thanks for all your help.

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi Bill! Welcome to R2R! This is an amazing resource for both new and experienced hobbyists. Feel free to ask lots of questions, but use the search feature when possible for dozens/hundreds of great threads with a lot of detailed info.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R Bill and thanks for introducing yourself
chris3.gif

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef 2 Reef :), Bill

Research / Patience and Stability over the long haul, goes along way.

And:
Get an RO/DI unit with an built in TDS meter from day one.

Freddie

Reefer Deez

Reef junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R :) it's a pleasure to have you here with us ;) I know some have already suggested patience but we can't stress it enough to you! Take everything slow do your research and make sure to ask alot of questions there are alot of really kind people here that will help you with anything you may need help with :)

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Here's a pic from one of my favorite articles on reefkeeping, applicable to new hobbyists and old as well:

eb_reef.jpg

The nitrogen cycle is only the startup of a SW tank cycle. The next 6-12 months is a maturing phase, and it's typically in this time frame where algae outbreaks occur and things can sort of roller-coaster, and if you stock the tank up too quickly, you might see corals randomly dying & fish getting sick, etc...hobbyists can very easily fall into the trap of chasing problems = making more problems => giving up and selling everything off. We don't want that to happen to anyone!

Long-term stability and balance are the keys, and you just can't shortcut the process significantly. That's always the #1 thing to keep in mind!

Back