Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how was the trip?
Phenomenal. There were some hiccups but looking at the overall experience I would say 8.5 out of 10. Planning on going again next October with a few tweaks. Best part was the food and the people including the crew. Diving was average. Got 13 in. Worst was hotel pre trip and the food poisoning I got the night before we sailed.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20221008_101341.jpg

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of feeling better.... tank is 99.9% free of GHA but its evil sister Cyano has moved in. Sucked what I could get to out today as a minor water change @10g. Modified one of the 2 returns so that it has only one nozzle vs 2 and upped the return from 52% to 62%. Cleaned the glass and changed the socks. Last time I tested (wed 11/9) No was only 20 and Po was only .028 so nothing off the charts. Thinking the GHA die off may have caused the Cyano? Hopefully the increased flow will help it burn itself out. Gonna test again tomorrow. Plan is to change out the other dual return to a single and add the Sicce power-heads (if needed) as well. I was going to do do that today but ran out of time. Plus I broke the last RFG head I had so the returns will have to be standard for now.
Second job at the pet store does not suck. I am the only person that is there over 30 and I feel like a baby sitter most of the time but I get some great discounts, get to pet all the animals that come in, and they have a decent FW fish selection to chose from. Plus if there is something specific I want for the FW tank I can order it in :)
There is a frag swap scheduled again for February so I am holding off buying anything for the tank until then. Holding steady until the tank is fully stable. Good news tho is that things are starting to actually grow and grow quite a bit. Plus there is definitely coraline starting all over the place.
Not much else to report for now.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Speaking of feeling better.... tank is 99.9% free of GHA but its evil sister Cyano has moved in. Sucked what I could get to out today as a minor water change @10g. Modified one of the 2 returns so that it has only one nozzle vs 2 and upped the return from 52% to 62%. Cleaned the glass and changed the socks. Last time I tested (wed 11/9) No was only 20 and Po was only .028 so nothing off the charts. Thinking the GHA die off may have caused the Cyano? Hopefully the increased flow will help it burn itself out. Gonna test again tomorrow. Plan is to change out the other dual return to a single and add the Sicce power-heads (if needed) as well. I was going to do do that today but ran out of time. Plus I broke the last RFG head I had so the returns will have to be standard for now.
Second job at the pet store does not suck. I am the only person that is there over 30 and I feel like a baby sitter most of the time but I get some great discounts, get to pet all the animals that come in, and they have a decent FW fish selection to chose from. Plus if there is something specific I want for the FW tank I can order it in :)
There is a frag swap scheduled again for February so I am holding off buying anything for the tank until then. Holding steady until the tank is fully stable. Good news tho is that things are starting to actually grow and grow quite a bit. Plus there is definitely coraline starting all over the place.
Not much else to report for now.
Look into those VCA RFGs? They're pretty great!

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look into those VCA RFGs? They're pretty great!
i had 2 and they both cracked and split. I dont think they "snap" in like regular lock line or i am just that strong.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
i had 2 and they both cracked and split. I dont think they "snap" in like regular lock line or i am just that strong.
Weird. I have five or six of them and they all worked great. A couple half inch and a couple 3/4 inch.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested this am and have the numbers from last week as well.
Last week: Ph 8.15 No 20 Po .028 Alk 8.4/8.68 (salifert/Hanna) Ca 445 Mg 1500+1drop
As sttd above, GHA is now gone but Cyano appears to have moved in. So on Sunday I did some maintence, increased the flow and did a water change.
This am readings were as follows: Ph 8.15 No 22ish (not quite 25) Po .055 Alk 9.3/9.016 Ca 460 Mg 1500+5 drops
So as you can see the water change increased the big 3 but didn't seem to have a measurable affect on the NO/PO concentrations.
Turned off the skimmer so that may be contributing to the increase but the Macro I got was dying out so I wanted to get those up again anyway.
At this point I am just focused on the #'s not bottoming out and getting Dino's so we will leave things alone for a bit and see what happens. Have some pods coming at some point from the giveaway over at the book of faces. Also tossing around the idea of increasing diversity to eat the Cyano with maybe some mud from IPSF or similar.
May not post again till after gobble day so you all have fun with your family's. I'm not ready to celebrate the holidays this year yet so i will be ordering out and staying in and playing with the tank that fine day.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20221115_185105.jpg

First dream fish off the list. They are a bit small about the size of my thumbnail. Temp acclimating them now then going to water acclimate. Hopefully they make it through the night.
Larry curly and moe?

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine just hide all day.
I have wanted these from day 1, like when I first started. Man always thought they were boring. The best part is they are captive bred from a guy that lives 5 min from me. It's the ones I was supposed to get at the swap back in September. He said he wasn't happy with them and they had gotten some weird thing where they commit Hari Kari basically. These ones lasted long enough that he was pretty sure they were gonna make it so he called me.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have wanted these from day 1, like when I first started. Man always thought they were boring. The best part is they are captive bred from a guy that lives 5 min from me. It's the ones I was supposed to get at the swap back in September. He said he wasn't happy with them and they had gotten some weird thing where they commit Hari Kari basically. These ones lasted long enough that he was pretty sure they were gonna make it so he called me.
Mine actually were always out in the 75. Now, in the 125 I have 4 PJ and 2 Bangaii. One Bangaii and two PJs hide all day, the other 3 just kind of be still and look pretty but out in the tank. Not super active fish but still pretty!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back