OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So no real updates to report but I did realize that with all the stuff going on with the new tank (and life in general) I have been severely neglecting my existing tank. I admit it. This was all my doing, or not doing, depends on how you look at it. I am normally really good at testing every week, or at the least every other week. I have been fighting hair algae for a month or so now. Nothing crazy just a couple patches here and there. Pulling out manually. But last we my nem split which was odd because it had only split in the past because I had fed it. And I hadn't fed it. Then I noticed something last night that was not good. Green cyano or what looks like it from the searches I did. It was late last night and nothing could be done then so I waited till this morning to deal with it.
This morning I tested the tank and had .2 po and 25 nitrate. My alk was in the basement as well at 4.7. So mixed up some fresh salt water and did a 20g water change and added a bit of kalk to the top off. Tomorrow I will test everything again and do another 20g change and same verse on Wednesday. We will see where we are at then since that will hopefully bring things back in line. Now I have to go order some more salt. Never a dull moment. Like I said I take full responsibility for this just glad I caught it in time.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have tested the tank every morning this week. I have done 2 large WC say about 25g each. Phos and nitrate drops for about 48 hrs then back up. I think the algae is dying off which causes the increase even tho I am changing the water. I am going to do another change this afternoon and then look at some alternate po reducing options for next week.

Got my squishy layer from Glasscages. I am really hoping to get the car fixed this weekend so I can finally get to HD for the top. 73 inches long will NOT fit into my hatchback, comfortably. Stupid control arms and struts (and boyfriend for thinking he could change them himself.)

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yeah tested again this am and nothing changed. I even tested everything 2x. .15phos and 25 nitrate. And now I have 6 nems. ***. At least the algae seems to be receiving. And the truck is back together. Not fixed but back together. Thank God for small miracles.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
K strike 2. Lost Steve Buschemi the tail spot blenny over the weekend. I had a nice little 10g waterbox aio in my office running for about a year or so and it also took a hit in the mIntenence department these past few months. 3 tanks, 2 dogs, 2 beehives, a mustang and a house is too much for this girl to handle by herself apparently. Plus working 50+ hrs a week didn't really leave enough time to enjoy or properly take care of any of it (or myself I am realizing). So I will be breaking down the 10g, bees and mustang are done for the summer and winter is on its way. With that comes 2 vacations and the holidays. Guess which one I am looking forward to. I am also resolved to sticking to the plan of having the new Dream build up and running in February. Last thing I want is to be diving in a tropical location and get a call that the living room has flooded. Plus I need a break so I don't jack this up and ruin it. I also have to get focused on getting healthy again if I am going to enjoy the vacations and scuba diving I have planned.
I started to cure the new rock with some seeded sponges I had in the sump. I hooked up a heater some powerheads and an ato to the rubbermade bin, added some ammonia and hopefully will be on the way to some live rock soon. I am also going to stop chasing numbers in the main tank. That's what got Steve so I don't want a repeat of that in the main tank. Just back to routine weekly maintenence and water tests and changes. For the new build I have been getting some of the plumbing bits and fittings together an have a plan in the works. The new (to me) sicce return pump is working like a dream as well as one of the 2 new (to me) powerheads. May end up having to get a new pump if I don't here back from sicce to help fix the issue with the other pump. I can't seem to get it to throw out a wifi signal. Stupid technology. But 2 out of 3 aint bad, at least that's what Meatloaf thought. So there is that. Staying positive. Gonna miss you Steve.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least someone is having a good time. The huge rock flower I have decided it was a good night to spawn. Maybe that's what I can do with the 10g......

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news today. SICCE is sending me out a new control puck for my sdc powerhead. I do love me some great customer service. Ordered some chaeto to help keep the levels stable. Talk about difficult. Finding chaeto now is like finding a cabbage patch kid in the 80s. 2 wks until Vaca #1. Plan is to get stand top cut and painted before I leave. That's it. When we get back it will be massive cuc order for both of the existing tanks. Then its black Friday and I will get the locline items, heaters and maybe a couple other little items.
Yeah and the 10g will be getting a reboot and become the new anemone tank. That will also be when Vaca 1 is done.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And ordered all the locline and threaded bulkheads. Stop it just stop.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post Vaca #1 update. Tank sitter didn't kill anything. THANKS MOM. But 80% of the cuc died likely due to parameters. The urchin did make it and is doing an OK job with the gha. It just won't stop growing. Chaeto is getting moved to the office tank while I treat the main tank with phos rx. I am doing a change today so hopefully that knocks it back a bit. It worked in the office tank until it didn't. Breaking down the new stand as well. Since nothing is happening with the new build until February it's just taking up a lot of space and I kind of wanted to put up a tree this year. So that is the update for now. Hope anyone that reads this has a happy turkey day. I will leave you with salty vibes from last week.
20211116_102838.jpg

20211115_173903.jpg

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have very many people following this so I guess it's not bragging or anything but I don't have anyone around me that can appreciate the joy I felt yesterday. Not only did my secret Santa purchase the ultimate gift for me, baffles for my new diy sump, but it also came with a bonus. A 25 lb box of marco shelf rock. Now, I have to be honest I bought a set of baffles for myself because who would spend that kind of $ on a complete stranger. So I got my baffles as well, along with another bonus gift, a customizable screen lid. And it's big enough for the 180g. Seriously. But that's not all folks. I also ordered a BRS 300w heater. I know I will need 2 so the second one I will order with the refund from the returned baffles. But I digress. So thinking that was the end of my merry day I popped the box. And to what did my wandering eyes did appear? A grey and orange box. I screamed, scared the dogs and almost cried. I promptly went back to work for the remaining hour of my shift trying to convince myself that I was dreaming. Mind you I DID NOT open the box just popped a flap. And it had those packing pillows so I was sure it was some thing that I couldn't use anyway since I could never afford something so nice. I use kasa strips and Alexa like the rest of us. So done with work I fed the dogs and went to open the box. And there she was. An apex el. Complete with thank you sticker. Now I will tell you I have no idea if this was the universe's way of settling some unpaid debt to me or what. But I will tell you that I have never felt so fortunate as I have this year. With all the good I have tried to put out there maybe this is what happens when you stay positive and "always look on the bright side of life". Whistle.
Proof or it never happened:
20211201_162144.jpg

Yeah.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pre holiday update. I don't hate many things. I HATE green hair algae. But I am a fighter and my persistence seems to be paying off. The tank is coming back to normal with proper water changes and routine testing. Added some pods to the refugium today and started dosing live phyto. Sold the apex so that will go into the fund for the new tank. We have a swap hopefully at the end of February. New rock is curing and plan on pulling it out and redoing the scape new years weekend. Hope everyone has a wonderful holiday.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holiday intermission update.
Sometimes when I get bored I channel MacGuyver and pretend I can make stuff that I can use out of stuff I already have. It's a good thing no one's life depends on me tho.
20211228_182416.jpg

The light is not as close as it looks in the pic more like 8 to 10 inches. I am going to need an opaque box. The light spill is too much with the frosted one I used.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have final confirmation that the 2nd Vaca is on. Thank God. A week of diving in cozumel can not come fast enough. Already tired of the crappy weather and looking forward to this.
As far as the tank(s) go. Things are definately looking up. The diy algae scrubber is growing and I started dosing mb7. I am much happier with the levels now. .143 and 15. Only issue is that the gha in the display just won't quit. So more manual removal. I know it takes time.
20220109_072425.jpg

Finally started working on the 180 again as well. Working on the scape today and going try and get the baffles set in the new sump.
20220109_073858.jpg
20220109_073909.jpg

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pre vacation update. So I leave for Cozumel bright and early Saturday morning. Mom is coming to watch the fur babies and tanks. News on the upgrade:
Looks like there will be a slight delay and set up will be getting moved from February to April. More time to prep I guess. Sump is finished and scape Is 75% done. I think I may get some more sand as well. I have 120 lbs of new "live" already and was planning on using a few cups of the old stuff too. So I will order that when we come back.
Current tank update
The diy algae scrubber is amazing. I also have been adding mb7 every night for almost 2 weeks. Gha is 95% gone in the big tank and 99% gone in the office tank. Everything looks happy again. Finally.
Big swap at the end of Feb. Sure wish the tank would have been up by then but this will give me the chance to get rid of some things that won't be making the move and maybe make some good trades.
Now let's just hope the weather is ok on Saturday so I can get the heck out of dodge.
20220117_165401.jpg

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And now back to your regularly scheduled programming.
Scape is done. Whoooo hoo.
20220205_082621.jpg
20220205_082636.jpg
20220205_082654.jpg

Sump is done whoo hoo.
20220205_082701.jpg

Main tank has regressed a bit still battling the gha but I am winning at least. Office tank is on point so that's a win. Testing and changing today. Ordering more sand for new build this weekend and depending on levels in main tank more cuc.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So one of the scape pieces fell apart when I moved it. So here is the revised version. I made it in smaller pieces as I can disasemble and cycle it easier. Going to try and cement it tomorrow once glue and putty has had 25 hrs to cure and set up then start cycling next weekend.
20220205_114003.jpg

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No cement yet. I did buy myself an early valentines day present. A circular saw. So that means this weekend I can cut the inner shelf for the stand and the top and get them painted. Cement will be tomorrow. Trimmed side panels for the stand today as well.
Then next weekend it's time to nail down the plumbing layout and plans.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cement done yesterday. Inner shelf cut and one coat of paint this evening. Superbowl on Sunday. Next weekend is Daytona and the next weekend is the big LEAR frag swap.
Oh and did I mention I had to buy a new friggin furnace this week. Yeah. Woke up on Monday and no heat. No damage done except the budget. But everything happens for a reason. Ended up refinancing the house to pay for the furnace and lowered my house payment. Yeah so fun week.
20220211_180212.jpg

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%

Back