"THIS" drew you in and keeps you coming back for more!

What keeps you coming back for more? Pick TWO!

• The Corals

Votes: 368 77.0%
  • The Fish

Votes: 225 47.1%
  • The Equipment

Votes: 51 10.7%
  • The Challenge

Votes: 141 29.5%
  • The People

Votes: 41 8.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 18 3.8%

• Total voters

Joe.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The colors.
I had fresh water for a while but the colors of the Reef.... Ahhhhhh
Same for me. Did freshwater in high school and college and always wanted the colors of saltwater - the fish and corals.

I’m in my 50s now, so I have a bit more $ now than when I was younger - thankfully, as this can be a very expensive hobby. Wish I had the space to do a larger tank, but my RS Reefer 350 is working out well.

Just started my tank in May and have learned a ton from people here - thank you! Don’t know how some of you that have been doing this for a long time did it without the internet.

Raj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a house back in 2001, and I finally had space for a decent sized fish tank. Went to Petco (I didn't know any better back then) to get a freshwater tank - got the tank, filter, gravel, chemicals and everything else I needed to setup the tank. Once the freshwater tank was ready to add fish, I went to my LFS and saw blue and orange linkia starfish, and I was like "how to I get one of those in my tank?" After a year of chiclids I made the conversion to salt and never looked back.

AVVITT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hobby is without a doubt a patience and wits tester. Every moment of joy has been equalled at times by moments of dispair. BUT the further I get into the hobby, the less bad things happen and I guess this is down to knowledge and being able to overcome issues easier. It's a hobby we love and hate at different times I'm sure. I bet there's noone who can disagree!

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I did freshwater when I was a child. Started back into it, but the saltwater fish are so much more vibrant than fresh IMO. So I switched. Then tried corals and I was hooked.

tsharpe291

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it’s all of the above, every day is something different. Not always good but that’s anything in life. Being able to implement changes and make things thrive is very rewarding.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We snorkel in the Florida Keys quite a bit. That was before we had an aquarium. We started in this hobby because I wanted some of the snorkeling feeling in our house!

pulpfiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish. I took a marine class in highschool where we kept a fresh or saltwater tank and learned how to care for it. I chose saltwater since I never knew it was an option. And I thought saltwater fish were a lot prettier. I got a pair of clowns.

I only had fish in the tank and when I went to college I couldn't take them and my parents would't do more than feed them. The fish got a water change once a month and eventually died to ammonia poisoning.

I always wanted clownfish again and ten years later I started a tank. I Eventually thought why not try coral and here I am.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We snorkel in the Florida Keys quite a bit. That was before we had an aquarium. We started in this hobby because I wanted some of the snorkeling feeling in our house!
One of the things I tried to base my newest rock scape around was the Florida keys and the Caribbean. And the reason I did that is the same reason you got into the reefing hobby!!
8BAB3397-A4CA-4FE0-B65E-F32973B152EC.jpeg

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Challenge

Corals come with that but it is the Challenge that draws me. I remember being a young teen and being told that the saltwater tanks were so difficult and expensive that I would never have one. I have stumbled along the way but I'm still here trying to conquer that challenge of saltwater tanks. Decades later and things still make me feel like a beginner. That thrills me.

killstank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was the colorful cool designs on the fish for me. Now I love corals equally. Never thought I would care about a coral. Love watching them eat. And I love all the personalities of the fish. I have an evil clown named Pennywise. And learning about everything. Problem solving. Aquascaping. Coming across new fish and corals I’ve never seen before. Watching my crabs try to kill everything to no avail and be stingy with food. Love seeing all my decorator crab’s new outfits. The peace of just watching everything living. Next I want a big 75 gallon for a lionfish and eel just to get to care for some cool weird predators. I am a musician professionally but this reef tanking has turned into my favorite hobby. Now I find myself taking more music opportunities to fund my tanks .

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.4%
Back