This girl’s 310g peninsula dream tank with fish room!

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't posted an update in a bit, we've taken a break working on the build to work on our outside landscaping. We have managed to get the 2nd side on the stand though. All that's left is to put the end pieces on and then add all the decorative trim and a door on the end of the stand. That probably won't happen until after the tank is leveled, plumbed, and filled though.

IMG_1700.png

Also, this goody arrived today! A tunze 6255, it's freaking huge! Much bigger than I was expecting, but if it can push water the full length of the tank it will be worth it. It will stay on the overflow end at least. I'm going to fill up the bath tub later to try it out.

IMG_9536.png

IMG_4556.png
You are not going to be disappointed with that pump. If you have 2 you will not be able to run at full power. That is the Monte Crisco of pumps. Its in the class with the MP60. Great choince. Tunze will not disappoint.

hoju74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think continuing with wc's until there's no amonia is a good plan. I was originally just going to put mine in the tank, but if I use the brute can or 20 gallon tank, the changes won't be too bad. I'll be dealing with 100 lbs of rock though.

OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think continuing with wc's until there's no amonia is a good plan. I was originally just going to put mine in the tank, but if I use the brute can or 20 gallon tank, the changes won't be too bad. I'll be dealing with 100 lbs of rock though.
I'm not sure you'll be able to fit 100lbs in a 20 gallon and still have room for water. I have a 44 gallon brute, and its already over half way filled with my 1/2 shipment of live rock, plus about 50lbs of marco foundation rocks. I'm slightly worried that I won't have enough room for the rest of the rocks arriving today. The water changes is why I didn't cycle them in the tank too, the idea of 30% changes daily in a 300 gallon tank didn't seem fun, lol. I can't even make that much water at once.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Change out as much water as you’re able to. My ammonia maxed out the test kit for days & not changing the water is where I messed up big time. Do you have an extra (smaller) tank for the rest of the rock? Or a large Rubbermaid?

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re not so much “cycling” this rock, you want to cure it. The bacteria is already there so you don’t have to let the ammonia feed anything. The ammonia is just harming the critters at this point.

OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finished unpacking it all. Luckily the rock itself was still wet. Didn’t find any critters alive other than a couple worms. It fit in the same brute with the rest too. I’m getting excited to aquascape with it! I have some microbacter start on hand. I might put some in to see if it helps with the ammonia.

7443CF01-489A-4023-9D3C-EDAE10CF6F46.jpeg

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoohoo!! Well if you’re in need of another container, I have a 32g brute with wheels and a lid that you are welcome to borrow. I just cleaned and bleached it last week and haven’t used it since. Fair warning though, I have a hairy dog and I’m positive her hair is on the underside of the brute

hoju74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it has some coraline algae on it at least. I HATE the fake painted stuff that's popular in the hobby right now.
How many lbs did you order ?

OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoohoo!! Well if you’re in need of another container, I have a 32g brute with wheels and a lid that you are welcome to borrow. I just cleaned and bleached it last week and haven’t used it since. Fair warning though, I have a hairy dog and I’m positive her hair is on the underside of the brute

haha, thanks for the offer, but I think we're good. We have 2 large hairy dogs as well so I'm very familiar with dog hair being on everything.
Looks like it has some coraline algae on it at least. I HATE the fake painted stuff that's popular in the hobby right now.
How many lbs did you order ?
It has tons of coralline. The pics don't really do it justice. It has mostly orange, but also red, purple, and green. It's very pretty and colorful. I got 80lbs and had a good mix of small, medium, and large pieces.

Snitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks great even a day late - you can try adding a ball of chaeto if you have it to the brute - it will help feed on ammonia.

OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks great even a day late - you can try adding a ball of chaeto if you have it to the brute - it will help feed on ammonia.
I don’t unfortunately. I did another water change this afternoon and will probably do another tonight and just keep up on them and hopefully it stabilizes soon.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back