This girl’s 310g peninsula dream tank with fish room!

OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hubby just sent me his sketches of the fish room! Its going to be awesome! The sump/skimmer/ATO will be housed in its own little room for protection, but the ceiling will be open for air exchange. The water mixing station, utility sink, and a desk for testing and what not will be just across from it.

2020-05-15 (3).png

2020-05-15 (1).png

2020-05-15.png

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great! Id love a tank like this someday! tried to sell my wife on the idea of a peninsula tank when she decided i needed a new tank, but we compromised on the bow front. yall are doing a great job! 2 circuits will do you well. I have 2 for my 220 with 125 sump downstairs and it allowed me to spread it out well.

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel envious of your husband and being able to do all those rendering skills. That really helps the planning so much. Can see details you may have missed. Great build, following along on this for sure! Excited for you! (and more than a little jealous LOL)

OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel envious of your husband and being able to do all those rendering skills. That really helps the planning so much. Can see details you may have missed. Great build, following along on this for sure! Excited for you! (and more than a little jealous LOL)
I’m definitely lucky to have him! Thanks!

OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Walls for sump room and water mixing/testing area are all framed out and most of the electrical has been run! Hubby has to run a couple more wires cause I changed my mind about outlets and switches last minute. I think we’re going to use a DOS for auto water changes but I decided I want to hard plumb pipes and a pump to run freshwater from the mixing station to the ATO container next to the sump. There will be a light switch over by the ATO container to turn the freshwater pump on and off.

31AAB432-4CF3-4044-A96B-8542A94FE800.jpeg
66E61CAF-0349-4D2C-9104-AE11619EDF9C.jpeg
AA0BF908-94AD-4B53-BED6-7D0E6E34A563.jpeg

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Placed an order for 80lbs of live rock from KP Aquatics! Going to let it cure in a brute can for a few weeks. Can’t wait to see all the critters emerge!
I’m getting ready to order some from there too! Have to get a curing tank set up still. I really messed up my last order almost 2 years ago and let the ammonia get too high for way too long. I lost a lot of cool stuff...please post pics when you get it!

OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting ready to order some from there too! Have to get a curing tank set up still. I really messed up my last order almost 2 years ago and let the ammonia get too high for way too long. I lost a lot of cool stuff...please post pics when you get it!
I’ll definitely post some pics!

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a reply email from them this morning...you may not get a shipping notification until this evening. Their site also said they were having trouble with outgoing emails. They’re really nice people, you could call if you don’t hear anything from them by this evening.

SuaSponte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes - please - if you can do an "unboxing" - that would be awesome - I've bought all kinds of stuff from them over the years, but never rock. I'll be buying their rock (hopefully).

If you do order live rock from them, make sure you cure/quarantine the rock. During this period it's imperative to throw in an isopod bottle-trap to determine if your rock has parasitic isopods. I know of at least three people that have ordered live rock from KP (including myself) in the past six months and received rock with a healthy population of cirolanid isopods. Once you have them it is difficult to get rid of them. I kept my tank completely fallow for three months and they still survived -- they do not appear to be obligate parasites. I'm not trying to disparage KP Aquatics, you run the risk of getting these parasites no matter where you purchase your live rock from -- I just wanted to give you a heads up.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do order live rock from them, make sure you cure/quarantine the rock. During this period it's imperative to throw in an isopod bottle-trap to determine if your rock has parasitic isopods. I know of at least three people that have ordered live rock from KP (including myself) in the past six months and received rock with a healthy population of cirolanid isopods. Once you have them it is difficult to get rid of them. I kept my tank completely fallow for three months and they still survived -- they do not appear to be obligate parasites. I'm not trying to disparage KP Aquatics, you run the risk of getting these parasites no matter where you purchase your live rock from -- I just wanted to give you a heads up.
I had one in a previous order from KP and was fortunate to squish it. What is the bottle trap? I may set one up for my next order.

OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the warning. I am planning on curing the rock for a few weeks and was thinking on doing a bottle trap to try and catch gorillas/mantis anyway. KP Aquatics recommends dipping the rock into water with a salinity of 1.035-1.040 to encourage the hitchhikers to drop off. I wonder if that works for isopods too?

I had one in a previous order from KP and was fortunate to squish it. What is the bottle trap? I may set one up for my next order.

I think the bottle trap is basically just a plastic soda bottle with some food in it, once the thing crawls in, its hard for it to crawl back out because of the sloped edges.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 82.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 8.6%
Back