This girl’s 310g peninsula dream tank with fish room!

OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we lucked out and tank is perfectly level along both 8 foot sides front to back. But going across the short side it’s a leaning a bit. Still within the level lines but just barely. It’s the leaning the same amount in every spot so the tank is definitely not twisting. What do we think? Is it enough that we should try and shim it?

pic of level across the top trim
F7D7F3FD-F9C7-483D-B454-018D319DF2FE.jpeg

pic of level on bottom glass
74DD1F01-57C9-47B5-8F32-93E72E698995.jpeg

OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you end up picking heaters yet?
No, not yet, but I'll probably just end up doing 2x600w of the BRS heaters. It sucks though, because even though they can both go on one of the inkbird controllers together, its too much for one apex outlet. So if I want to use my apex as a backup controller, which I do, then it means I have to get an extra inkbird also.

Edit: the upside of that is that since I have to have two controllers anyway, I can place them on separate apex energy bars for better redundancy.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No, not yet, but I'll probably just end up doing 2x600w of the BRS heaters. It sucks though, because even though they can both go on one of the inkbird controllers together, its too much for one apex outlet. So if I want to use my apex as a backup controller, which I do, then it means I have to get an extra inkbird also.

Edit: the upside of that is that since I have to have two controllers anyway, I can place them on separate apex energy bars for better redundancy.
One 600w is plenty unless you live in Alaska. Run 1 fulltime and have the other kick on -1 degree as a backup. It would take 2 Apex outlets but that shouldn't be an issue. Use the Apex with a defer statement for the main. Have your other controller as backup and have the Apex run it hot if the Apex goes down. I'd put them on seperate circuits and seperate eb8s though for sure! 1000w is max I'd ever run on a 110v circuit even with a 20 amp breaker and 10ga wire on a short run unless it we hardwired to a device. I'm an electrician. I've seen too much melted plastic with anything over 1000w. Luckily the breaker tripped before a fire started in each case. The smell of burnt plastic lingers for months though.

OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One 600w is plenty unless you live in Alaska. Run 1 fulltime and have the other kick on -1 degree as a backup. It would take 2 Apex outlets but that shouldn't be an issue. Use the Apex with a defer statement for the main. Have your other controller as backup and have the Apex run it hot if the Apex goes down. I'd put them on seperate circuits and seperate eb8s though for sure! 1000w is max I'd ever run on a 110v circuit even with a 20 amp breaker and 10ga wire on a short run unless it we hardwired to a device. I'm an electrician. I've seen too much melted plastic with anything over 1000w. Luckily the breaker tripped before a fire started in each case. The smell of burnt plastic lingers for months though.
We're going to run two 20 amp dedicated circuits and put one EB8 on each

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I just wonder if shimming it would do more harm than good because it could cause the load to not be distributed evenly? I'm might post a separate thread on R2R later to get more opinions.

When you shim, you shim under and around the perimeter of the stand. You get the stand level then you fill the other areas with more shims and cut the extra off. You dont shim in one spot.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished reading and the build looks great. I did have a similar comment about the carpet underneath. Only because we had the same decision to make. We ripped it out and put laminate under it first. Now, needing new flooring again, we will have to cut it out, but this is much better than carpet IMO. Moot point now though.

I agree there will be moisture issues under that canopy. Get some vents and fans for sure. My no canopy is nice since I run MH and T5s. Light spill is not noticeable during the day as the natural light is a lot.

Cannot wait to see it wet! I have an external Ca Rx and Protein Skimmer and love them. Takes more room, but so much better than too much in the sump.

Fish list is a bit much even for a 300g. Just cut down as you get the fish on the top of your list. It should be pretty obvious when to stop. :) Just remember to think of fish final size, territory, food and enjoy.

This is going to be good!

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0

You're an electrician and advise to run 1000W max on a 20 amp circuit on a 10ga wire and short run only??? That's 3 statements that contradict NEC and that has already built in safety factor.

20 Amp circuit requires 12 Gauge wire, 10 gauge is for 30 Amp and they can safely run 2000W & 3000W respectively and that's with a good margin already.

That said, your EB8 or EB832 have limits per strip and per outlet but thats a whole different story.

OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished reading and the build looks great. I did have a similar comment about the carpet underneath. Only because we had the same decision to make. We ripped it out and put laminate under it first. Now, needing new flooring again, we will have to cut it out, but this is much better than carpet IMO. Moot point now though.

I agree there will be moisture issues under that canopy. Get some vents and fans for sure. My no canopy is nice since I run MH and T5s. Light spill is not noticeable during the day as the natural light is a lot.

Cannot wait to see it wet! I have an external Ca Rx and Protein Skimmer and love them. Takes more room, but so much better than too much in the sump.

Fish list is a bit much even for a 300g. Just cut down as you get the fish on the top of your list. It should be pretty obvious when to stop. :) Just remember to think of fish final size, territory, food and enjoy.

This is going to be good!

haha, yeah, I know it's a lot of fish, we tend to overstock our tanks. The theory of overpopulation dispersing aggression ;)

We did end up cutting bigger holes in the wall to allow better venting, and will add fans as needed. We also coated everything with 3 quotes of poly.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You're an electrician and advise to run 1000W max on a 20 amp circuit on a 10ga wire and short run only??? That's 3 statements that contradict NEC and that has already built in safety factor.

20 Amp circuit requires 12 Gauge wire, 10 gauge is for 30 Amp and they can safely run 2000W & 3000W respectively and that's with a good margin already.

That said, your EB8 or EB832 have limits per strip and per outlet but thats a whole different story.
You do what you want... just know that we laugh at you code know it alls when we come fix your stuff and we charge you double. I've replaced many receps/timers/power strips/wire etc etc because even though the rating is stamped on it, it melted. EB8s are rated at 1500 watt. With 2 600 watt heaters running in parallel, you still have room for more. You will have trouble... I promise you this.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
You do what you want... just know that we laugh at you code know it alls when we come fix your stuff and we charge you double. I've replaced many receps/timers/power strips/wire etc etc because even though the rating is stamped on it, it melted. EB8s are rated at 1500 watt. With 2 600 watt heaters running in parallel, you still have room for more. You will have trouble... I promise you this.

You just bundled two different issues together and didnt answer my previous post at all - confusing the OP in the process.

EB8 as whole can handle 15Amps... BUT you can plug a 600W heater only into either Outlet #4 and Outlet #8 (both rated at 10A). Would it be smarter to split 2 heaters into two different EB8s plugged into outlets on two different circuits, yes, but for a whole different reason than you've elluded to - redundancy.

What you said previously above has no merit at all.

OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't posted an update in a bit, we've taken a break working on the build to work on our outside landscaping. We have managed to get the 2nd side on the stand though. All that's left is to put the end pieces on and then add all the decorative trim and a door on the end of the stand. That probably won't happen until after the tank is leveled, plumbed, and filled though.

IMG_1700.png

Also, this goody arrived today! A tunze 6255, it's freaking huge! Much bigger than I was expecting, but if it can push water the full length of the tank it will be worth it. It will stay on the overflow end at least. I'm going to fill up the bath tub later to try it out.

IMG_9536.png

IMG_4556.png

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is looking good, can't wait to see water! If you are taking suggestions add an extra GFCI receptacle that is pig tailed off of the homerun and only plug your return pump into it. That way only if the return pump goes bad will it shutdown.

OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is looking good, can't wait to see water! If you are taking suggestions add an extra GFCI receptacle that is pig tailed off of the homerun and only plug your return pump into it. That way only if the return pump goes bad will it shutdown.
Thanks, me too! It seems like it's taking forever to get to a point where we can add water. The return pump will be plugged into my apex so it can be monitored, but my plan is to have 2 eb8's, each plugged into a different circuit. The return pump and one powerhead will be on one, and another powerhead or two will be on the other. That way if one circuit trips I will still have at least half my flow going.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 106 76.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back