This is where I criticize people...

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once again I have seen this today and it has really annoyed me, so I am going to vent to you a little. An OP asks for help and so a person spends a ton of time giving them the advice they wanted, taking photos of their tank, finding links, old posts, and so on and then writing it all up, but the OP never replies, posts again, or even acknowledges that they read it by "liking" it. What is the problem? Some people are so rude and it really makes me a little angry.
(Also, thanks to everyone who has been so generous to me with their help over the last few months.)

Last edited:

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know exactly what your saying--in most cases if the OP had just googled their problem they would have found the answer to their problem.

It's like the WTB ads-you spend time taking and sending pictures and never hear from the poster--a thanks anyway never comes.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to think of this forum as a knowledge archive with the perks of some live back and forth. The helpers info won’t be for naught if someone later discovers their work during a research quest. I always try and post things I couldn’t find so if someone later is looking like I was, they can see if what I ended up doing worked or not.

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always try and do my own research but it is nice to get a 2nd opinion instead of a trusting everything on a few internet articles...Especially with ID’ing a pest or coral with how good Phone cameras are today. Every situation and tank is a little different so it’s awesome to be able to chat with as many people as possible that have already been through it. As the new people get trained and gain knowledge they can pass what they know on to hopefully help someone else or prevent someone from a disastrous experience. I appreciate all the kind people on here for giving their time and caring about others success. I agree with you that those that receive help should show appreciation to those that give their time and energy to help a stranger in need....Tanks to all the Reef to Reefers!
BD

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once again I have seen this today and it has really annoyed me, so I am going to vent to you a little. An OP asks for help and so a person spends a ton of time giving them the advice they wanted, taking photos of their tank, finding links, old posts, and so on and then writing it all up, but the OP never replies, posts again, or even acknowledges that they read it by "liking" it. What is the problem? Some people are so rude and I hate it.
(Also, thanks to everyone who has been so generous to me with their help over the last few months.)
Thank you for posting! Good to remind people about proper forum etiquette!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Once again I have seen this today and it has really annoyed me, so I am going to vent to you a little. An OP asks for help and so a person spends a ton of time giving them the advice they wanted, taking photos of their tank, finding links, old posts, and so on and then writing it all up, but the OP never replies, posts again, or even acknowledges that they read it by "liking" it. What is the problem? Some people are so rude and I hate it.
Happening more frequently, i have noticed also

reefinnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm somewhat guilty of this. Not intentionally though and I'm sure a majority of the people doing this are in the same boat. I'll post a topic, go about my day, then get busy and forget that I posted the topic. Two weeks later I remember when it pops back in my head. Then I'll respond / like the thread. However I'm guessing by that point, people have formed an opinion.

You'll probably notice it more and more with the weather getting warmer and COVID restrictions loosening up. People are out trying to get their lives back or at least enjoy a bit more freedom. Life doesn't revolve around R2R.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the most part, answering questions on this forum is deeply dissatisfying. In most cases, someone will attack your character instead of arguing your point, they'll attempt to invalidate your experience because they had a different one, or they'll claim that all reefers should do things the way they do or there's no possible gray area when discussing things, only black and white.

When answering questions here, the person not replying is one of the better possible outcomes.

Cherie cook

Cherbear
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the most part, answering questions on this forum is deeply dissatisfying. In most cases, someone will attack your character instead of arguing your point, they'll attempt to invalidate your experience because they had a different one, or they'll claim that all reefers should do things the way they do or there's no possible gray area when discussing things, only black and white.

When answering questions here, the person not replying is one of the better possible outcomes.
That’s really sad...because I have received SO much help from the members here!

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to make sure that when I start a thread I'm not busy so that I can't respond if anyone replies, however occasionally life gets in the way and I'm late to reply.
IME most of the people on this forum seem to be very polite and respectful, which I attribute partially to the mods requiring it. Just like anyplace where you ask questions everyone will have a different opinion/answer its how you react to people whose opinion is different than yours that matters.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been a member for a year and had one poor experience with another member shaming me (was very HARSH with his words) for thinking I was giving very bad advice to a new member. If this person did a little research on this subject, he would not have shamed me. And not even an apology after showing him proof of a member here doing what I had suggested with good, safe results.

If I think someone is giving what I believe is bad advice I will research it myself before making any comments to the adviser.

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

MY favorite is when multiple people respond and it's not OP's 'wanted' answer so they get MAD

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been a member for a year and had one poor experience with another member shaming me (was very HARSH with his words) for thinking I was giving very bad advice to a new member. If this person did a little research on this subject, he would not have shamed me. And not even an apology after showing him proof of a member here doing what I had suggested with good, safe results.

If I think someone is giving what I believe is bad advice I will research it myself before making any comments to the adviser.
This is one of the reasons I try and just give advice that I actually have experienced or just on tanks that are similar sized with similar equipment. It worked in my situation, may not in yours.

desagon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That sounds a lot like all of the Facebook groups I joined a while back. They were very toxic and I left all of them.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Thanks for sharing and thank you for being a part of R2R. Although I try to help individuals, I am also trying to help the community. When I share an answer or helpful tip that doesn't get acknowledged, I am hoping that I have helped someone down the road. I will sometimes be pleasantly surprise by a like, a PM, or a response to something that I posted a couple of years ago. I encourage everyone to pay it forward and, as Ghandi said, "be the change you wish to see in the world".

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I'm sorry to hear about your negative experiences here. Please feel free to use the "report" button or reach out to me directly when you see personal attacks or anything else that is not in line with the Terms of Service. As we interact with each other it is important to keep the problem the problem instead of making the person be the problem. I have experienced toxicity on several other forums and we try very hard to make no place for it here.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed but in a different sense. i always try and learn and I’m very new to this hobby And make mistakes. Problem is people are rude here and sometimes never respond
do you mean no one replies to your questions?

Back