This is your biggest problem....

Do you have a “big” problems or issues keeping a reef tank?

• Yes and I’ll tell you what it is....

Votes: 49 11.2%
  • Nope no big issues...

Votes: 110 25.2%
  • Nothing big just small things...

Votes: 277 63.5%

• Total voters

roger.baltayan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to remind my husband to feed them most days. As a mother of 2, I’ve come to learn that husbands and children have a lot more in common than I realized lol. I’d feed them myself but I’m somehow allergic to almost everything they eat.
Lol

danreefman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my problem with the hobby, is my addictive personality gives to much time to the tank and not enough to my family. I really need to work on this

I see a lot of talk about the price of things in the hobby. But no mention to the price of milk, gas, cars, or the cost of land. There's still plenty of coral in the 5-10 per frag range. It's just people complain cause they want the nicer stuff but can't afford it. It's like complaining that a Ferrari cost to much. Instead of just working hard to up your game and getting what you want, everybody seams to just throw in the towel and complain. Its esier. If you buy a nice piece for some coin. Chances are high that you'll get some coin back. Yes there is loss.

And no, I'm not some rich guy with dispursable money. Just a tile guy that works alone. I spend way more than I should. I figure why fill up my limited realistate with okay pieces that don't sell for 5.00 when they need to be cut. I'd rather risk the beautiful, extraordinary, expensive pieces. People chase and buy names. Ask yourself this, do you want to sell a few 100.00 plus pieces to pay for your hobby or sit on 20 20.00 pieces. I couldn't afford this hobby if it didn't pay for itself.

To everyone chatting about cost, figure out your hustle and get what you want!!

I have to go get my hustle on now. ✌

DucatiGtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hardest part of reef tanks in this hobby is getting healthy fish n coral.. I’m absolutely paranoid at the crap the sell at lfs.. u cannnot see velvet until it develops and it will take every single one of your fish out. Coral w certain pests can do the same..

The rest of the issues in this hobby aren’t bad at all.

PYRU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hardest part of reef tanks in this hobby is getting healthy fish n coral.. I’m absolutely paranoid at the crap the sell at lfs.. u cannnot see velvet until it develops and it will take every single one of your fish out. Coral w certain pests can do the same..

This scares that crap out of me as well.

Mattman1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Qt qt qt oh and qt. If you’re worried about pest and hitchhikers, usually from already fighting one, it’s the only way. I have a full time qt tank for my coral and fish I’ve been lucky with so far but any future fish will come from someone that has a proper qt method.

Matt

PYRU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being overwhelmed is my issue. Its hard to look at the money you've spent knowing you won't ever get it back. 1 tank rupture or disease issue away from thousands in losses.

PYRU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Qt qt qt oh and qt. If you’re worried about pest and hitchhikers, usually from already fighting one, it’s the only way. I have a full time qt tank for my coral and fish I’ve been lucky with so far but any future fish will come from someone that has a proper qt method.

Matt

I've had fish come out of months of quarantine whipe a tank out. Stress is such a killer to. Something gets stressed and all the bad comes to the surface that's been held at bay

rogersb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time. I can get clobbered with work and other commitments and then my tank gets a little crappy.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatoms!!! Been here for months and never gone away. Don't know what to do. Sorta want to give up on my 75
Its silicate from your top up water or inside of artificial rock or in silica sand.

Claire Austin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bryopsis! Smothers everything that doesn't move! I've done fluconazole several times, but it always comes back. Love my seahorses, but they're dirty little beggers, really hard to keep the nutrient levels in check.

DucatiGtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Matt
I have 3 qt tanks... but I’m paranoid regardless lol

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 36 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back