Those of you who have painted the back of your tanks....

OP
OP
CanuckReefer

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My last tank I jus relplaced I painted Blue and loved it....However, this tank (upgrade) I am contemplating using a "temporary" static/wet-applied background. Something I can see through to do "Coral maintenance".
GoodLuck!

Ernie
Thanks, I'd be interested in seeing how that turns out!

Went with the blue, I really like it, but perhaps a shade darker if I had to re do it again...
20201228_180535.jpg

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
always used the backgrounds that came on a roll and always wound up with salt creep between them and the glass...went with plasti dip figured if something went wrong in the back i could peel it off to see what was going on...doesnt cover as well as expected, went on very thin and took a lot of coats...basically used a full can (spray) to do a 40 breeder....went with black helps the powerheads, heater and overflow disappear

Last edited:
OP
OP
CanuckReefer

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
always used the backgrounds that came on a roll and always wound up with salt creep between them and the glass...went with plasti dip figured if something went wrong in the back i could peel it off to see what was going on...doesnt cover as well as expected, went on very thin and took a lot of coats...basically used a full can (spray) to do a 40 breeder
That salt creep between was the bane of my existence for years, no matter what I tried a few weeks later there it was again! ...I was actually used to it after awhile but really it's embarrassing when you've got some friends over and they point out 'what is that? ' lol...finally bit the bullet and painted it. As I say I wish the 'navy ' blue turned out a bit darker, but hey, it's light years better than when I had the background from the roll....happy camper.

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm so old i remember they used to have a special aquarium background paint that dried into a strange crystalline pattern....came in blue too....my tenant found one of my old blue backgrounds and put it on his kitchen window so the sun wouldnt blind him at the sink...now everytime i drive past his house i laugh at the blue window

Last edited:

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I paint all my tanks back glass black. Have done gloss, semi gloss, and flat and I can't tell a difference looking through the water.

I have used the cheapest can of black spray paint and for my current build use the $4 can from home depot. Been on the tank since 2018 and it's going strong.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used several different types of paint now and have to say that the Rustoleum
I used Rustoleum Protective Enamel Oil-Based - Flat black

I rolled it on with a very small paint roller.

It looks great...no scratches, but I don't dig around on the back of the tank often to cause any scratches.
+1
I've used several different types of paint now and have to say that the Rustoleum is by far the most durable.

Alchameth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually lay the tank viewing side down, painters tape the edges so it sticks up on the back and then just pour the paint out. Spread it around with a cheap foam brush and let it dry overnight. Perfection every time.

Hectorg214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also tired of the salt creep so finally thinking of painting the back of the glass black. Would I be able to paint it with coral and fish still in it??

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will post pictures when I get home, but I painted mine black. Generic paint, nothing fancy, small roller. Looks great, though the dang sporbid worms show up real well.

Hectorg214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would paint smell affect fish and coral? Plan on taping of edges to get a clean look.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always use any oil based paint. They don’t ding and allow light through, but they also don’t peel off easily if you have a change of mind. So consider that before you proceed.

Tape it off, roll it with small roller. Do it with several coats for best results. Don’t try to paint the whole thing with one application.

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Debating this heavily. I have always utilized a solid midnight blue background for 20 plus years. I hear some like black as well. Anyway, first, I assume a decent marine grade paint? Flat ? Also would assume to ensure that glass is spotless, free of residue and dry prior to application. I'm tired of the occasional salt creep, or drip making it's way behind the background...no matter what I do to seal it off eventually it makes it's way in there....maddening, especially when the lovely wife says 'what the heck is going on there?'
Thanks for any responses.

Rustoleum is fine. Clean the glass with alcohol to get any and all oils off it. Do a tack coat first (not full coverage...just get some paint down even if it doesn't block 50% of the light). After 24 hours go light with a second coat, and 24 hours after that do the final coat. When I take the time it always comes out nice and never scratches or chips off.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is actually a cool idea. .
It could technically go on the tank after it’s filled and has water in it ?
Sure... probably a little tougher because you have to reach behind the tank but doable. I've done it in the past with other tanks when I got tired of the old school taped on backgrounds falling off.

Opes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used black rustoleum spray can for mine. I preffer black as it hides cords and equipment better. I clean the back glass during water changes to prevent Coraline from taking over.
20201227_210814.jpg

20200907_160413.jpg

20200907_132605.jpg

WirelessMike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used rustoleum matte black spray when I initially set mine up. Did two coats and it turned out great. However, if I had to to do over again I would probably try the limo tint that was mentions earlier, or possibly a mirror tint that I read about in a different forum. The mirrored look added some extra depth in the background which was really cool.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried the deep royal blue, but it made all the black equip stand out which I didn't like. I usually have black overflows so that doesnt look right & of course the powerhead cords stand out.

Wipe it down with alcohol then roll on the paint. I think I used rustoleum

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back